Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:57 PM

10 posts, read 28,135 times

Advertisements

I just moved to the Alexandria area of DC and haven't had a chance to make it out much socially so I don't know of any local hangouts. Does anyone know where any nice restaurants or local bars that maybe cater to the lesbian/gay crowd where you just sit with friends and maybe make a couple of new ones and have a drink, be it a beer or coffee? Not looking for a night club really, unless you know a cool place with a nice drag show! But just a place to hang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 06:52 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
There are two newspapers, the Washington Blade and MetroWeekly that are likely to list friendly establishments all over the DC area. You may find that the most open and prominent places will be across the river in DC.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:16 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Yeah there isn't a gay scene in Alexandria. There are plenty of gay people but the "scene" is in DC. There's Freddies in Arlington but it has more of a gay restaurant feel than a bar to meet new people. So yeah to meet and greet you'll either need to go online or to DC. Which isn't a bad thing the DC area has like 20 something bars and clubs. There is a gay book club in Alexandria though but that's all that I know of. Either way welcome to VA!

Old 10-20-2009, 04:10 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
NoVA has no gay "scene." If you think Old Town is bad then don't even think about Reston. We have tons and tons of gays/lesbians, but we all have to head into DC all the time for anything worthy of our time.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:21 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Oh yeah Ziegfields in DC has a drag show every Saturday. It has a nude strip bar attached to it too so fun for all. While that is more of a club versus a bar it's a good spot for a pretty good drag show. I think Apex in Dupont has a drag show on Saturdays too but don't quote me. Like Tone said check out Metro Weekly.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:32 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Oh yeah Ziegfields in DC has a drag show every Saturday. It has a nude strip bar attached to it too so fun for all. While that is more of a club versus a bar it's a good spot for a pretty good drag show. I think Apex in Dupont has a drag show on Saturdays too but don't quote me. Like Tone said check out Metro Weekly.
There's a drag brunch at Perry's in Adams Morgan too. Parking isn't that hard around AM that time of day, too.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 13,836 times
Default LGBT Communities in the Area?

On that same note.... what areas, Alexandria, or beyond have some gay friendly neighborhoods. I plan on relocating to Alexandria/Arlington in Feb. I'd love to live in a neighborhood with some friendly diversity. If anyone has any info, I'd love to get some feedback. Thank you!

Old 11-26-2009, 05:22 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
On a related note, the Washington Blade ceased operations last week when its parent company suddenly shut down. Interestingly enough, this week's Washington City Paper features an article comparing the "typical" Blade reader to that of the Metro Weekly.

If there are any particularly GLBT-populated neighborhoods in Northern Virginia, I am not aware of them. However, Fairfax and Arlington Counties as well as the City of Alexandria are generally moderate so on average people are unlikely to care. Other outlying counties could be different, including Prince William County and points south; I'd welcome being shown otherwise.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:12 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
FWIW, I've noticed that the Target in Falls Church on Rte 50 has quite a bunch of gay male shoppers (some couples, some not) on Sunday afternoons. So, if you need to get some basic supplies that might be a good time & place to go.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:48 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,508,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agirlandherdog98 View Post
On that same note.... what areas, Alexandria, or beyond have some gay friendly neighborhoods. I plan on relocating to Alexandria/Arlington in Feb. I'd love to live in a neighborhood with some friendly diversity. If anyone has any info, I'd love to get some feedback. Thank you!
Most of my info is anecdotal, but I think that there are several areas inside the beltway that are gay-friendly. I would include most of the older neighborhoods in Arlington, Falls Church and Alexandria. Back in the 70's and 80's, the west end of Alexandria had a big gay presence, but I haven't heard anything lately. The Metro corridor in Arlington and the 'single family home' neighborhoods close to it have a large gay presence. Even Springfield was alleged to have had a lesbian vibe back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia