Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 05:28 AM

110 posts, read 248,156 times

Advertisements

Yeah so I've been here for 2 weeks now (relocation from So Cal) and I'm working in Alexandria, right next to what you all call "The Mixing Bowl" and I've left for home @ 2:30, 3:30, 5:30 and yesterday I left @ 4:30pm, probably the worst traffic time known and I just have 1 simple question...

Where's all this traffic ya'll are always whining about?

No seriously! Is the traffic not on the beltway anywhere?

No offense and I mean this in the most loving way, but...

Ya'll are a bunch of whinny little traffic sissy's!

This ain't traffic! It's barely even mildly annoying.
I live 30 miles from work in Sterling and it takes me 30 minutes to get here and 45 minutes to get home.

For those of you potential relo's from other high traffic cities that are coming to this forum asking about traffic... Do not listen to these people! The traffic is absolutely no nearly as bad as everyone cry's about it being.

I was warned by others when I was in CA that VA folks get all whinny when they have a commute longer than 30 minutes and they were totally right on the money.

You people (and now me too) have it made so shut up about the traffic. Heck, this current traffic condition is going on during the largest roadway construction project know to man and it still ain't that bad. Every freaking road in 50 sq. miles is under construction and it's still moving.

Ya'll want traffic... Go to LA and then come back and cry about traffic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 05:33 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
Hahaha, good one. I lived in SoCal for many years and the traffic on the 405, 10, 15, 5, 101, 60, 91 and 57 freeways do not compare to the traffic here on the 95.
You will experience it, it will get you when you least expect it.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:47 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Okay, so you discovered our little secret. You are correct, there is absolutely no traffic here but we tell people there is so that won't move here. Good luck and enjoy your easy, breezy commute.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:00 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,345,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brymax View Post
Yeah so I've been here for 2 weeks now (relocation from So Cal) and I'm working in Alexandria, right next to what you all call "The Mixing Bowl" and I've left for home @ 2:30, 3:30, 5:30 and yesterday I left @ 4:30pm, probably the worst traffic time known and I just have 1 simple question...

Where's all this traffic ya'll are always whining about?

No seriously! Is the traffic not on the beltway anywhere?

No offense and I mean this in the most loving way, but...

Ya'll are a bunch of whinny little traffic sissy's!

This ain't traffic! It's barely even mildly annoying.
I live 30 miles from work in Sterling and it takes me 30 minutes to get here and 45 minutes to get home.

For those of you potential relo's from other high traffic cities that are coming to this forum asking about traffic... Do not listen to these people! The traffic is absolutely no nearly as bad as everyone cry's about it being.

I was warned by others when I was in CA that VA folks get all whinny when they have a commute longer than 30 minutes and they were totally right on the money.

You people (and now me too) have it made so shut up about the traffic. Heck, this current traffic condition is going on during the largest roadway construction project know to man and it still ain't that bad. Every freaking road in 50 sq. miles is under construction and it's still moving.

Ya'll want traffic... Go to LA and then come back and cry about traffic!
If you want to experience the traffic, why not try to go 66W or E for that matter at 5pm or how about getting on 495N from 267 at said hour.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:50 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,610,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
If you want to experience the traffic, why not try to go 66W or E for that matter at 5pm or how about getting on 495N from 267 at said hour.
Yeah the traffic is at 123 & Nutley crossing 66 right around 5 pm. I sat in it on Monday.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:53 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,424 times
LOL I have to agree somewhat with the poster, yes the traffic can absolutely be bad, horrible even, but this area does not have the corner of the market on traffic. I moved here from NYC metro...now that's horrible traffic! Here at least you have some options. My husband commutes from 30 miles west into Herndon and it takes him 35-40 mins MAX. Yes he takes the Greenway, and yes he pays a ton for it but we factored that into our cost of living out here. At least there a few ways to get places around here. Try going anywhere west towards NYC and east away during rush hour. Good luck with that.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:55 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Comparatively speaking, you may have one of the "easier" commutes. It certainly helps to be one of the many (but not enough) with flexible hours to allow you to leave for home before 3:30 on many occasions. As someone just said, I-66 and especially I-95 is where the real "fun" begins. lol

I think most people here actually can tolerate up to an hour commute. Heck, the Virginia Railway Express routes from Manassas and Fredericksburg are up to 90 minutes long. Just be thankful and count your lucky stars that you've made out okay thus far. At least you came here "well-adjusted" compared to some who aren't used to commuting more than a half hour around where they relocated from.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:56 AM

631 posts, read 1,290,215 times
not surprising the op might say something like this being from LA. as i recall the top 3 cities with the worst traffic are LA, DC, Atlanta, in that order.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:46 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
And there are such fun times when it takes two hours to get from Tysons Corner to I-95 in Maryland, not to mention an easy three hours to Baltimore.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-29-2010, 08:51 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
I worked in the mixing bowl area and lived in College Park one summer in college when I had an internship. It was easily 2 hours each direction. 26 miles in 2 hours. That's pretty bad. I had a dr's appointment in fairfax last week. Left my office at 5 (Kingstowne) and didn't make it to the office until 6:30. (I missed my appointment, incidentally).

I'm from So Cal, and LA is pretty bad, but DC is right up there. It's really going to depend on your individual commute though. I assume you take 267 to 495? That's pretty smooth sailing most days. I go from N. Springfield to Reston for class on Friday evenings, and I've yet to have it be bad.

Try driving 66 to 495 up to 95. 495 will become a parking lot around the MD state line, and will continue as such until you reach 95. You'll easily sit for hours in that little area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia