Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 10:01 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times

Advertisements

So what are some good things that Gary is known for, that it excels in, or that people visit it for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 12:18 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times
If you like baseball, the Railcats have a very nice stadium. It's very reasonably priced, enjoyable family entertainment. Then, of course, there is Miller Beach.

Miller Beach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-15-2013, 03:52 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,551 times
Two positives:

1)The home architecture in the Horace-Mann/Ambridge-Mann neighborhood is very ornate. There are home styles there that mimick those found in the North Shore suburbs of Chicago that would be upwards of $1M but are about $100,000 or less in Gary.

2)Also, as the previous poster said...Miller Beach area! It almost feels like a completely isolated area.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
If you like baseball, the Railcats have a very nice stadium. It's very reasonably priced, enjoyable family entertainment. Then, of course, there is Miller Beach.

Miller Beach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Are the Railcats in the same division as the South Bend Silverhawks? I know the Silverhawks recently updated and added on to their stadium, I have been to a few of their games, think tickets are only $8 a piece which is a bargain. Minor league baseball is largely underrated and unknown outside of the cities it exists in.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Two positives:

1)The home architecture in the Horace-Mann/Ambridge-Mann neighborhood is very ornate. There are home styles there that mimick those found in the North Shore suburbs of Chicago that would be upwards of $1M but are about $100,000 or less in Gary.

2)Also, as the previous poster said...Miller Beach area! It almost feels like a completely isolated area.
I'm curious what these homes look like. I have no doubt that housing in the Gary area is extremely cheap, it isn't a very desirable place to live. I recall the Mayor of Detroit some years ago offering inner city houses for $1,000 to Detroit Police Officers, encouraging them to live inside the city to mitigate a stronger police presence and tone down some of the violent neighborhoods. Pretty sure it was a flop, why trade in your nice home in the suburbs for a dangerous home in the inner city where you don't know how safe your family will be.

I'm not familiar with Miller Beach, is it just a beach? A town? A suburb? What's the story on this place? I have been to Michigan City's beach and to Mt. Baldy.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:09 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I'm curious what these homes look like. I have no doubt that housing in the Gary area is extremely cheap, it isn't a very desirable place to live. I recall the Mayor of Detroit some years ago offering inner city houses for $1,000 to Detroit Police Officers, encouraging them to live inside the city to mitigate a stronger police presence and tone down some of the violent neighborhoods. Pretty sure it was a flop, why trade in your nice home in the suburbs for a dangerous home in the inner city where you don't know how safe your family will be.

I'm not familiar with Miller Beach, is it just a beach? A town? A suburb? What's the story on this place? I have been to Michigan City's beach and to Mt. Baldy.
The homes are the same style of homes (mostly colonial, early american, some spanish influence) that you typically see in the movies like Home Alone, etc. Take a drive around the neighborhood near Methodist Hospital Northlake (during the day of course) and see for yourself.

As far as Miller Beach

Miller Beach is to Gary as:

Ogden Dunes is to Portage

Dune Acres is to Chesterton

Long Beach is to Michigan City

But the thing about Miller Beach is that it feels more like a small town in and of itself as it has its own downtown area and also a "town" that happens to be associated with Gary with schools and local government, etc. The other areas feel more like subdivisions.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:57 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times
other than what is stated above I will draw a blank ________________________________________________!

Old 08-16-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
other than what is stated above I will draw a blank ________________________________________________!
Lol, so not very many nice things to say about Gary.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:22 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
there are actually some decent new homes in Miller Beach....this project looks very cool..

East Edge Miller Beach - Sustainable designed-modern architecture near Lake Michigan - Chicago

also some new businesses have opened in the area including the rebirth of Miller Bakery Cafe

Welcome to Miller Bakery Cafe

A new small grocery shore in the heart of Miller Beach

Miller Beach Market Place

the beautiful Marquette Park and fully restored Marquette Park Pavilion

http://www.marquetteparkgary.com/

There are other positives such as the beautiful Duneland area, fantastic Beach with amazing views of the Chicago skyline, possibly one of the most strategic locations in the country in terms of rail/highways, two stops on the South Shore Line, an airport that is about to undergo a major runway expansion, a successful minor league baseball team, a plan to redevlop the area around IUN University, and a pretty forward looking young Mayor.

Gary has tons of potential, it remains to be seen of it can fully capitalize on that.

Also the Indiana real estate caps (1% of valuation) could lead to a continued resurgence in the Miller area as people won't fear being the milkcow for a corrupt city government.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:32 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
The homes are the same style of homes (mostly colonial, early american, some spanish influence) that you typically see in the movies like Home Alone, etc. Take a drive around the neighborhood near Methodist Hospital Northlake (during the day of course) and see for yourself.

As far as Miller Beach

Miller Beach is to Gary as:

Ogden Dunes is to Portage

Dune Acres is to Chesterton

Long Beach is to Michigan City

But the thing about Miller Beach is that it feels more like a small town in and of itself as it has its own downtown area and also a "town" that happens to be associated with Gary with schools and local government, etc. The other areas feel more like subdivisions.
Tolleston area around 23rd and ellsworth way more suburban in character than sunnyside or miller. The mcc is not a government. Miller like everyone else in gary go through city government since it's part of the city. They do not and cannot zone, tax or anything else without approval from the gcc.

To be such a young city, the roles it has played both good and bad gives it a unique character. People do visit. Mj home, gary airshow definitely one of the best in the mw. Beaches and surprisingly have a lot of people touring some of the architectural ruins throughout the city as there are some gems that could and should be renovated. Not every place is a war zone there. Its a city it has good parts and bad parts. You won't get shot just because you ventured north of 53rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana