Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 12:21 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,085 times

Advertisements

Most of NWI is close to lake Michigan so it depends what you mean by close.

Valparaiso, Chesterton, Dunes Acres, Ogden Dunes, Beverly Shores, Munster, St. John, Crown Point, Winfield make a good list. Miller Beach which is really east Gary is decent with lots of summer homes for the greater area.

Last edited by WildWestDude; 05-22-2022 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 10:16 AM

4 posts, read 4,281 times
Default Towns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Definitely St. John, Crown Point or Valp. St. John voted safest city in Indiana in 2020. I would not include Hammond or Griffith. I would also say NWI in general is nicer than the Ft. Wayne area. Just my honest opinion! In regards to not needing to go to Chicago, well there's nowhere in Indiana that would be anything like Chicago. Indianapolis would be closest, but still doesn't compare. There's no great museums here or big theaters like in Chicago and shopping can't even compare, but it just depends exactly on what you're looking fore. Off the grid, well as soon as you get past Cedar Lake, you're in the cornfields.
Hello,
You seem to have great insight into Indiana. We want to relocate but not far from Illinois. We were looking into the Munster town but I am afraid it is too close to I-94. I love the small town field of like a Lagrange, Illinois or Western Springs, Illinois but the homes and taxes are ridiculously overpriced. We are in our middle 50's and our family are still in Illinois. We are looking for more of an upscale neighborhood, low crime, nice people, possibly nice downtown area, any suggestions?

Old 12-16-2022, 09:00 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartnsassy5 View Post
Hello,
You seem to have great insight into Indiana. We want to relocate but not far from Illinois. We were looking into the Munster town but I am afraid it is too close to I-94. I love the small town field of like a Lagrange, Illinois or Western Springs, Illinois but the homes and taxes are ridiculously overpriced. We are in our middle 50's and our family are still in Illinois. We are looking for more of an upscale neighborhood, low crime, nice people, possibly nice downtown area, any suggestions?
What is wrong with being close to I-94. Chesterton would fit some of your criteria but is just off the interstate and is not quite upscale .
Also, Valparaiso with it's nice town square and St. John would fit in. The only negative for some Illinois transplants for Valparaiso might be that it is that much farther from the state line but IMO it is the best place in NWI.

https://www.ci.valparaiso.in.us/Docu...019-Compressed

FYI I might not live in NWI anymore , but I do visit and I am a native of NWI.

Last edited by WildWestDude; 12-16-2022 at 09:38 AM..

Old 12-28-2022, 10:34 AM

31 posts, read 32,526 times
Munster and Dyer are really nice. Both of these areas border Illinois.

Old 12-28-2022, 01:01 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Kosteris View Post
Munster and Dyer are really nice. Both of these areas border Illinois.
St. John and Winfield Twp are the nicest overall based on numerous metrics.

Old 12-28-2022, 08:02 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartnsassy5 View Post
Hello,
Munster is your best bet. Anything else puts you too far from Illinois and you will never visit with family and vice versa. Will Munster still be nice in 20 years? Who knows, the world is upside down right now.

Haven't heard from CGab in a long time, I just messaged her to see if she is still around.

Old 02-16-2023, 11:36 AM

31 posts, read 32,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
St. John and Winfield Twp are the nicest overall based on numerous metrics.
I do like St. John, but Winfield is a bit too far from Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana