Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 04:41 PM

153 posts, read 526,423 times

Advertisements

With all the attentiion right now on Michael Jackson's death, I am a bit surprised that no one is talking about Gary where he grew up. I always thought that Michael Jackson being born there was like the only thing probably going for Gary so why not have a museum or something, maybe at the house he grew up. Martin Luther King got one, and so does Elvis so why not Mike. People from all around the world would be interested in Michael Jackson birthplace, no matter how it looks, so why not. Does anyone know the condition of his old home or if anyone is living there? I am interested to know what you locals think about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 07:37 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
He should be buried in Gary. There was an all night vigil in Gary after he died. RIP Michael Jackson.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:56 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
Rename Broadway "Wacko Jacko Boulevard"

Old 06-26-2009, 10:26 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texx View Post
With all the attentiion right now on Michael Jackson's death, I am a bit surprised that no one is talking about Gary where he grew up. I always thought that Michael Jackson being born there was like the only thing probably going for Gary so why not have a museum or something, maybe at the house he grew up. Martin Luther King got one, and so does Elvis so why not Mike. People from all around the world would be interested in Michael Jackson birthplace, no matter how it looks, so why not. Does anyone know the condition of his old home or if anyone is living there? I am interested to know what you locals think about that.

It has been on a few channels since yesterday because they held an all night vigil there last night. I have a picture of their Gary home I was shocked how small it was and the fact that 10 of them lived in it.

Think the only thing Gary did was rename that street Jackson. I'm sure none of them would want to go back and visit the area.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:57 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,094 times
A relative of Michael Jackson still lives in his boyhood home, and its in good condition. And no the street isn't named for Michael Jackson. Its always been named Jackson Street , its named for President Jackson. Most of the side streets in his former neighborhood are named for former presidents.

He is popular in his hometown, and many are proud of his career. He didn't visit Gary very often, the last time in 2003.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:44 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
The state of Indiana is not known as a place that represents what MJ was, a person who brought people together, not someone who empasized the differences. Indiana has become synonymous with conservative values, a place of great racial intolerance. Michael appeared to spend his entire life running away from Gary. I don't see him being brought back after his death unless he specifically instructed the executor to do such.

I think he should be buried where he devoted most of his time. California. Much of his music reminds me of a portion of the state (LA) and he devoted a considerable amount of his career creating his music there.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:32 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
The state of Indiana is not known as a place that represents what MJ was, a person who brought people together, not someone who empasized the differences. Indiana has become synonymous with conservative values, a place of great racial intolerance. Michael appeared to spend his entire life running away from Gary. I don't see him being brought back after his death unless he specifically instructed the executor to do such.

I think he should be buried where he devoted most of his time. California. Much of his music reminds me of a portion of the state (LA) and he devoted a considerable amount of his career creating his music there.
Just a wild guess here, but I suspect you are from CA and have never visited the state of Indiana. While as a whole the state maybe politically conservative we often vote one way for our President and another for our state reps. I'm not quite sure where you get the idea we are racially intolerant unless you're reading 75 year old history, and the state wasn't alone at that time. I believe you will find racial intolerance in many areas of the country-including and especially CA considering the remarks I read about illegal immigrants in the state.

As far as running away from Gary--I doubt it. His career necessitated he live elsewhere.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:00 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
A relative of Michael Jackson still lives in his boyhood home, and its in good condition. And no the street isn't named for Michael Jackson. Its always been named Jackson Street , its named for President Jackson. Most of the side streets in his former neighborhood are named for former presidents.

He is popular in his hometown, and many are proud of his career. He didn't visit Gary very often, the last time in 2003.
My apologies we were told by city hall when we visited it was renamed for the Jackson 5.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:12 AM

434 posts, read 1,164,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
My apologies we were told by city hall when we visited it was renamed for the Jackson 5.
I believe the cross street (23rd or 24th Street) is an honorary street named Jackson Family Blvd or something like that. I think

Old 06-28-2009, 07:07 PM

11 posts, read 38,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post

Right. Michael Jackson was definitely CA and that is where he lived and was happiest for most of his life and that is where he should be laid to rest. I also believe that Michael Jackson was murdered. I believe that doctor hated Michael Jackson and was trying to steal money from Michagel Jackson and intentionally injected him with an over dose of medication. The truth will come out.

I'll always love you Michael Jackson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana