Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:45 PM

98 posts, read 279,224 times

Advertisements

To me dyer is a town you pass through on 30 and it has little to do there. Lynwood I lived there for 5 years till 07 it got a bit bad but it's not bad.. Sauk village is bad but Sauk trail and unincorporated Sauk village makes it where nobody comes through to dyer. The dyer police are out and handle business I lived there 15 months hated it to many subdivisions it's what sub your in it and it didn't feel like a town to me..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 12:07 AM

7 posts, read 16,946 times
aszx, I'm not trying to take over your post but I have a question about IN too. Dyer was recommended to me on the Chicago Sub forum so I'm looking into it but does anyone know anything about Crown Point? Thanks!

Old 02-28-2011, 04:50 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
I saw your other post, where you stated your husband had a job in Homewood. The commute from Crown Point would be a total PITA. If you want to buy a house in Indiana I'd stick to Dyer, Munster or Schererville. They're all nice towns. I posted in the other thread that Homewood is a nice town and quite safe, which it is but it's true your property taxes will be about half as much in Indiana. Munster's property taxes and home prices are higher than the other two towns though. We lived many years in a town close to Homewood and when we decided it was time to move, Homewod was the first place we were thinking about. It was the property tax issue that led us to look in Indiana. We bought a house in Schererville and haven't regretted it. It takes at least 20 minutes to get from where we are to Homewood, and 15 minutes the opposite direction to get to Crown Point. Dyer would be a little closer and Munster the closest of all.
I think you asked about flooding on the other thread? It can be an issue in Northwest Indiana as well as in the South Suburbs. It's spotty as to what areas are affected so you'll want to question your real estate agent about this, whichever area you choose.

Last edited by subject2change; 02-28-2011 at 05:05 AM..

Old 02-28-2011, 08:15 AM

17,421 posts, read 14,642,907 times
I grew up in Chicago and lived in Homewood for years after we were married. We decided to move to Indiana 10 years ago when the schools started to slip & crime started to rise. Homewood-Flossmoor schools used to be stellar - unfortunately, the entire school district has seen decline over the last decade. I still have friends & family in the area and own property there as well - so I'm there quite frequently. It's a beautiful area that's fighting an uphill battle (and seems to be losing) when it comes to the public school system.

We moved here specifically for schools & lower taxes - and we're quite happy with with both. In fact, my property taxes have gone DOWN over the last 10 years ...while the taxes on our old Homewood house have tripled.

Additionally, when it comes to Indiana property taxes, voters just approved a state constitutional amendment capping taxes at 1% of the assessed value of property. (2% for non-owner occupied & agricultural and 3% for commercial.)

Anyhow, Crown Point is going to be a haul and I would agree with the poster above that Schererville, Dyer & Munster would be your best best - except with your price point, your pickens in Munster will be very lean. That's why I suggested Dyer - it meets all of your requirements perfectly.

Oh - and to search NWI properties, use this link: GNIAR. It's the public portal to the local real estate agent's MLS. By far, the best place to search for homes in our area.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:54 AM

7 posts, read 16,946 times
Thank you all SO much for your help! I really appreciate you guys taking the time out of your day to give suggestions! I clicked on the citydata site only by accident and I'm glad I did, it sure has been a helpful tool!

Old 03-30-2011, 05:57 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Dyer, is a very nice community and Lynwood is not that bad. Sauk village on the other hand is that bad.
IF you choose Dyer there would not even be a reason to cross the state line unless you needed to get onto IL 394 which eventually turns into they ryan and into chicago.

There are actually very nice parts to Lynwood not sure where you were getting your source but there is new housing stock in that area.

Dyer and points East you would not even need to go into Illinois unless you choose to
there is everything you could possibly need on the Indiana side of the border.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:31 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
Default Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Dyer, is a very nice community and Lynwood is not that bad. Sauk village on the other hand is that bad.
IF you choose Dyer there would not even be a reason to cross the state line unless you needed to get onto IL 394 which eventually turns into they ryan and into chicago.

There are actually very nice parts to Lynwood not sure where you were getting your source but there is new housing stock in that area.

Dyer and points East you would not even need to go into Illinois unless you choose to
there is everything you could possibly need on the Indiana side of the border.
New housing stock does not necessarily mean "nice". Lynwood is an overall nice town (by looks and size) but the schools are not really good at all especially at the high school level (T.F. South)....If possible, they would be better off starting their own school system..

Old 03-30-2011, 08:04 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw79 View Post
Sauk village is bad but Sauk trail and unincorporated Sauk village makes it where nobody comes through to dyer.
Are you kidding me? Me and my friends from Sauk Village have gone into into Dyer countless times, lol.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:13 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Are you kidding me? Me and my friends from Sauk Village have gone into into Dyer countless times, lol.
Yeah, if anything I notice more people coming from Sauk Village to do business in Dyer than the other way around.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:01 AM

811 posts, read 2,337,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Yeah, if anything I notice more people coming from Sauk Village to do business in Dyer than the other way around.
Yeah I feel like I'm seeing more and more Illinois license plates in Dyer nowadays. It's probabably because the gas on this side of the border is signficantly cheaper. Or, maybe because NWI is just a nicer area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana