Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 7,780 times

Advertisements

I am a single mother of a 2 year old and am looking to move to Oahu to go back to school there. I went to UH fresh out of high school back in 2003 for marine biology and unfortunate circumstances brought me back to the mainland. Just recently I decided that I would like to give it another shot and this time succeed! If anyone has any advice for me on...well really anything and everything it would be much appreciated! I obviously will need to find as inexpensive of a place to live as possible and if anyone has any recommendations on daycares and what not.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 06:00 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner25 View Post
I am a single mother of a 2 year old and am looking to move to Oahu to go back to school there. I went to UH fresh out of high school back in 2003 for marine biology and unfortunate circumstances brought me back to the mainland. Just recently I decided that I would like to give it another shot and this time succeed! If anyone has any advice for me on...well really anything and everything it would be much appreciated! I obviously will need to find as inexpensive of a place to live as possible and if anyone has any recommendations on daycares and what not.
I hope you can find a way to make it work. My recommendation is to spend some time searching and reading the back posts here. There's a ton of relevant material already posted that address your questions. Then you can flesh out your reading with specific questions.

Come on home!

Old 01-23-2011, 01:08 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
Be sure to check out the out-of-state tuition situation. If you haven't been a resident lately there may be a waiting period of a year or so before you can start UH at in-state prices. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2011, 11:41 PM

346 posts, read 968,472 times
how much money do you have? because I don't see how it would work for you going to school full time with two kiddies to pay for all by yourself.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:10 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,233,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaackko View Post
how much money do you have? because I don't see how it would work for you going to school full time with two kiddies to pay for all by yourself.
I think she has a 2 yr old...not 2 kids.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:37 AM

346 posts, read 968,472 times
my bad, misread it

still, same thing...

Old 01-24-2011, 12:44 PM

243 posts, read 813,238 times
Nicely put isaackko!

If it didn't work out the first time, what makes you think it would work out now?

You have a child to think about on top of yourself, then full time school or even part time school, then a job to help bring in money for rent... It's not cheap, unless you want to live in the shady parts...

Do what OpenD advises... research a lot of where you want to live, how much you want to fork out, what school you want your child to go to, daycare, etc. Then you also have to think about food and other necessities as well.

Good luck on your journey!

Old 01-24-2011, 07:11 PM

Thanks everyone!

Ya I didn't say why it didn't work out before...never once did I say it was due to finances or anything like that. I actually had something bad happen while I was there. And yes that is correct it is a 2 yr old...not 2 kids.

As for going to school I was planning on not going full time and still working full time. I don't see the difference. I am from Michigan, one of the worst places economy wise right now, and working 2 jobs and taking care of my daughter full time.

I do know a couple people who live there still, so it's not like I would be somewhere with no contacts. And you are correct I do have my daughter on top of myself to be worried about. If it were just me I would already be there! The main reason I am asking for advice on here is because of my daughter. I have heard that the schools are not the greatest there for kids. My daughter is in daycare right now and I guess I am wondering if there are comparable ones there. Her daycare her is phenominal and I feel that she has learned so much and I would like her future daycare experiences to be of equal or greater value.

As for where to live I was just wondering what areas I should be looking at...
I lived in Waikiki when I was there before and everything was sooo much more expensive with it being the most tourist-infested area.

Sorry if I seem a little defensive, but I kind of feel like I am needing to be! But truly not trying to be rude and I do appreciate the advice...good and bad! So thank you!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:37 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,233,254 times
Have you looked at Leeward CC? It would be much less expensive to live in Ewa or Kapolei than Honolulu. You could then transfer to UH after you've completed your core requirements.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:12 PM

Thanks! Ya I did think about doing a community college first and will definitely still look into that. I just have to make sure that they offer the classes necessary. I have already gotten my associates, so I do have a lot of the core requirements completed. Thank you for the advice on the cities. I will definitely look more into that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: