Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,544 times

Advertisements

I also would like to see some images of Kailua from back then- I went to Puahala Elementary and Kailua Intermediate-(i still remember most of my teachers names and some of my clasmates) a bakery next to Times supermarket that had the best butter rolls I have ever tasted to this day- the man that worked there would give me a treat. i could walk anywhere or ride my banana bike.There was a family of small people(dwarfs) that lived down the street and I was always fascinated by them but tried not to ever stare. I remember the wigwam store where I used to get my slippas(the straw ones with velvet thong straps and rubber bottoms).I used to love shredded mango,sweet lihi-moi(sp?)baby seed from the peg racks at the convienant store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 02:37 PM

2 posts, read 6,544 times
Sometimes when I see certain pictures of places on Oahu- I kinda get a lump in my throat and I'm a grown man! Hawaii was awesome!

Old 04-07-2012, 02:46 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
For those who want to see a lot of pictures and images from Oahu in the 60's and 70's - start watching old episodes of Hawaii Five-O. In the vast majority of those episodes - if you live here - you can quickly know where they were filming and see how much has changed.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:03 PM

3 posts, read 9,358 times
Oh man, I loved Kailua.... graduated from Kailua High School 1975, went a year to UH, then left. I've lived all over north and south America, and elsewhere, and finally landed in Huaraz, Peru. I've looked far and wide for the simple, beautiful life of Kailua in the 70's. The closes I came was New Caledonia (near Australia). It was close, but lacked the number of nice beaches and the surf culture. Huaraz is the perfect weather, glacier-covered mountains, rainy season, and simple lifestyle.... I guess it will have to do. I have a little ranch, surrounded by warm but tough people who find happiness in small farming and the mountain climbing tourism. Good surf is about 4.5 hours away, and we are surrounding by clean fish-filled lakes. We wander the area on horses and occasionally crank-up the classic rock and pop open a bottle of wine with other "searchers".

Old 05-18-2012, 06:26 PM

440 posts, read 777,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJackambient View Post
Oh man, I loved Kailua.... graduated from Kailua High School 1975, went a year to UH, then left. I've lived all over north and south America, and elsewhere, and finally landed in Huaraz, Peru. I've looked far and wide for the simple, beautiful life of Kailua in the 70's. The closes I came was New Caledonia (near Australia). It was close, but lacked the number of nice beaches and the surf culture. Huaraz is the perfect weather, glacier-covered mountains, rainy season, and simple lifestyle.... I guess it will have to do. I have a little ranch, surrounded by warm but tough people who find happiness in small farming and the mountain climbing tourism. Good surf is about 4.5 hours away, and we are surrounding by clean fish-filled lakes. We wander the area on horses and occasionally crank-up the classic rock and pop open a bottle of wine with other "searchers".
Wow, that sounds like a good life you got there. I'm stuck in Oregon and miss the warm of the sun a people of Hawaii. im so broke I cant even move away at this point thanks to the friken housing problem

Old 05-19-2012, 01:32 AM

941 posts, read 1,967,460 times
Interesting about New Caledonia, it's off of most people's radar and you don't hear much about it, much less being compared to HI. I applied for a job there once, but didn't wait for an answer before accepting one in California. The ocean and mountains seemed appealing, but as much as I love the French, it seemed too colonial with some unrest (but they will get a true referendum for independence in 2014). Locals call themselves Kanaks, and I wondered if they were somehow related to the Polynesians (wikipedia says perhaps).

Old 05-19-2012, 02:26 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
I lived there then, and I live there now.

Of all the places I have ever lived and gone back to (and I have lived a BUNCH of places), I think it is the least changed.

I'll put together some photos of places you would recognize.

Hank
Sounds like a name change is in order

Mods can change that HankDfrmSD to HankDfrmOahu!

Old 05-19-2012, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
Interesting about New Caledonia, it's off of most people's radar and you don't hear much about it, much less being compared to HI. I applied for a job there once, but didn't wait for an answer before accepting one in California. The ocean and mountains seemed appealing, but as much as I love the French, it seemed too colonial with some unrest (but they will get a true referendum for independence in 2014). Locals call themselves Kanaks, and I wondered if they were somehow related to the Polynesians (wikipedia says perhaps).
New Caledonia is one I've occassionally researched. I think it's the fact that it's French speaking, that generally puts me off, whenever I examine it more.

Fiji, however...that place place looks cool. It also has a Hawaii feel, in my opinion, based on what I've seen in film, documentaries, photos, etc. Also, English is the national language.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJackambient View Post
I'd like to see this poster come back as a regular! (Your first post, I see).

Your life reminds me of my life! I also spent a month in Peru....meandering....well, among 10 months total in South America. Brazil is the one I liked best down there.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:33 AM

3 posts, read 9,358 times
I've heard Brazil is awesome too, but havent had a chance to get there. Anyone remember Maunawili falls kailua? You had to know your way around to get there when I was a teen, and you had to stay on the trail to avoid the maryjane fields; but how nice was that, yea? As a teen, we had so much to do.... the mudslides past pali, paddling out to the mokes off Lanikai (day and night diving.... summer crab!!); checking out the birds on flat island (just looking brah); scuba at lookout point just past sandies beach, puka shell hunting (everywhere); watching the golden tube flash a yokohama's at low tide (the sunshine did crazy things there), riding dirtbikes at kaena point, and hanging out at the ranch (look out for those wild dogs brah); spear fishing from a flatbottom boat in Kaneohe bay; dropping crab nets off the pier in Kaneohe bay..... loved those parties at the Clemon's/Silen's boathouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu