Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:20 PM

7 posts, read 20,007 times

Advertisements

We stayed in a vacation rental for 10 days while we shopped for a car and rental home. We shared it with a few roaches but laugh about that now...We live in Makakilo and love it!! When you get back, be prepared for a different way of doing things and taking your time on decisions! Lots of us would love to help you settle in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 07:21 PM

13 posts, read 21,993 times
I would just like to add that, in my short experience with property renters, they are very laid back about the condition of the place you want to move into, but become very picky when you move out. We moved short-term into a place with filthy white carpeting, bad caulking, healthy cockroaches and no updates since the 70s, but when we moved out, we got dinged for that same nasty caulking, and windows not washed (20+ floor). She claimed she paid to have the place cleaned before we moved in. But it appears she expected me to take on that job for the next tenant.

My advice is to comment on EVERYTHING not to your satisfaction, no matter how small or picky. Or plan to kiss your security deposit goodbye.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:26 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,129 times
Taking photos on the initial walk-through would help as well.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:09 AM
zoa

60 posts, read 491,265 times
Just as landlords have a checklist (at least most do) it may not be a bad idea to have your own checklist when you take possession of a house. I've done this a few times before buying, and honestly, a lot of old landlords actually respected me more for it.

On both our lists, we'd note move-in condition, initial them, and make sure there were copies of each for each party.

I got my security & pet fees back all but once, and that once was because the dog (literally) ate the screen from the lanai door. I did replace the screen, but it wasn't the same kind the landlord had in there to begin with, so he deducted $100 from my deposits.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,013 times
Default looking for someone in HNL to look at apt. for me

Is there anyone in Honolulu that can just quickly check out this room for rent for me?
pic looks good , landlord seems nice.... just need a live person to check it. location near Staub hospital ..

Last edited by rustiegurl; 08-30-2012 at 11:13 AM..

Old 08-30-2012, 04:13 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustiegurl View Post
Is there anyone in Honolulu that can just quickly check out this room for rent for me?
pic looks good , landlord seems nice.... just need a live person to check it. location near Staub hospital ..
Please disabuse yourself of this idea. Then what if somebody you don't know says it looks fine and your daughter hates it? Stranger things than that have happened.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:50 PM

Chuckling...what OpenD said. One person's palace is another person's dumpster.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:03 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
Chuckling...what OpenD said. One person's palace is another person's dumpster.
Sometimes they are one and the same... trying to find the link a buddy sent me about a dumpster converted into a living unit....

Old 08-30-2012, 07:29 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustiegurl View Post
It has been advised in countless threads and postings, DON'T RENT SIGHT UNSEEN. Having someone (that you don't even know!) "check it" for you does not negate the advice.

Need an inexpensive place as a starting point to room until she can find a rental? Check the YWCA.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Sometimes they are one and the same... trying to find the link a buddy sent me about a dumpster converted into a living unit....
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
It has been advised in countless threads and postings, DON'T RENT SIGHT UNSEEN. Having someone (that you don't even know!) "check it" for you does not negate the advice.

Need an inexpensive place as a starting point to room until she can find a rental? Check the YWCA.
Or perhaps there is a hostel in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: