Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 10:18 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Another Hawaii myth. The wages are not low because they think they can pay you slave wages - the wages are lower because the expenses are so high to run a business in Hawaii. Between rent, electricity, Hawaii rules and regulations, etc leaves a much lower profit margin than the same business on the mainland. Hawaii is also not tax friendly to business.

If the motivation was truly to pay low wages just because they can - then everyone would be tripping all over themselves to start businesses just so they could pay depressed wages.
^^^^ This right here. I would NEVER own a business in Hawaii due to the incredibly high expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 10:20 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HostelDweller View Post
About 11 years ago, while employed by NYPD, I was searching for an exit strategy to a better paying department. As a wannabe Kama'aina and already having made several attempts to live on Oahu, I told my wife "how about HPD?". She being Japanese, me being a surfer, why not right? After getting off the plane, I made it my mission to compare apples to apples with every cop I saw but stopped after about 3 "interviews". Nowadays, I periodically check the HPD website for fun and just can't believe the low pay they receive as a base and as their OT side work compared to NJ. So...the higher living expenses and the Paradise Tax of low wages made it impossible for us and it would have been a bad financial decision. I'm doing the best I can now in NJ, dreaming of someday but heading over in 4 weeks for our annual 2 week trip. Side note: I talk to alot of people about surfing and vacations and believe me when I tell you, there are very very few people that have been to HI more than once on some honeymoon many years ago. Anyone can go to Florida, Myrtle Beach S.C but our club here is an exclusive one.
You may not have found the pay to your liking but did you consider the benefits? High 3? Lifetime medical? Pension?

Old 10-11-2012, 07:50 PM

32 posts, read 50,378 times
Yes, I looked at all the particulars that most Police Officers consider when choosing a department. Funny thing is, I still consider working there one day if they'll take an older candidate. No age limit though. Anyway, the countdown begins, leaving in almost 3 weeks!

Old 10-12-2012, 08:05 PM

18 posts, read 42,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyG60 View Post
Been lurking for a few years now and finally think I am ready to make the move.Done lots of research (a total of about 5 years worth, ever since my first trip back in 2005)
Still got tons of questions so here I am. Read, evaluate, and give some opinions---just dont be too harsh!!!

Finances

A little background. I am 43, single, no kids, no debt. Total liquid net worth available to pull from,(as of me posting this) if I cant find a job and have to sell everything is roughly 60k.(Consists of ROTH ira basis, Trading account, savings, and some precious metals) Things would have to get really bad for me to tap into that source of funds. I am planing on opening a bank acount in Hawaii before I move and have roughly 15-20k in it when I arrive.(Not from Above sources) Planing on March of 2013.

I live on another island and am moving to Honolulu Nov-Dec - teacher/ guitarist. Will be at Kapiolani City College- they have an AMAZING culinary school there -what about donating a cuisine workshop when you get on island to meet people in your field - also to give the gift you're looking for - I donate my music to nursing homes, shelters, schools and there's always a wave back of blessings -plus you'll make new friends in your field. just a thought. There's a joke: "how do you make a million dollars in Hawaii? Move here with 5 million...lol...so it can be expensive, but if you're hearts telling you to move here - think how you'd feel 20 years later if you never tried. Then, decide. Meanwhile, you just have to learn how to live here: buy at farmer's markets, cosco etc...my salary is on the low end and I'm ok. The only complaint is that I work too hard and not enough time to snorkle...lol. I'm lucky if I get in the ocean once a month, but that's about to change as I'm moving to Honolulu and one requirement is that it's a walk or bike ride to the ocean!
I'm from Fla and followed my heart to seek out the roots of my hawaiian grandfather and moved to Hawaii years ago and truly love the culture, the aina and the aloha. ps: that's the most important part, I think, in moving - bring plenty of aloha and don't let the first year of testing here diminish that. Give kokua (help or blessing) and aloha and you'll be ok. went to yr blogpage and it looks like you have passion as a chef. Your gift will make a way for you. Ke Akua me ke aloha (God bless you)

Work History.

I have 25+ years in Food service. Went To culinary school. Most of my career has been upscale casual dining in Independent reataurants, with a stint at TPC Sugarloaf in Atlanta for 4 years (private club owned by the PGA Tour). Also did catering for Coporate and private jets when I first moved to Atlanta. I will be looking at places like Alan Wongs,BLT Steak, Chef Mavvro's, etc. Realy love Asian-Pacific food, but sadly no experience in that section yet. Have also thought about doing contracted prep work for food trucks, but untill I can actually be there and talk to a few truck owners, really dont know if that would work. I prefere to work nights-so the resorts and restaurants will probly be better for me.

As I said, I am a certified Chef. Have American Culinary Federation cert as a Sous Chef, Have food Handlers Card as a Manager etc...All these Sous Chef positions I keep seeing say to be able to pass a TB test. Will I be able to do this in Florida before I get there? How long will the test results be accepted?

Currrently make 50k here in Florida. Will be looking for 45-55k. Will some of the better known resorts and restaurants pay this?

One thing that really scares me is not being able to find a job, because I want that type of Money and have no "Hawaiian regional cuisine"experience. In my job History i have worked for 15 years at one company, 8 at the current Job, 4 at the TPC Club and 8 months doing catering. I tend to be loyal to my employers, and work my ass off. 2 years ago I did apply for a position at Alan Wongs, had a few phone interviews with them. Basically they wanted someone on the Island.

Housing.
Looking in the Honolulu, Waikiki, Diamond Head area, setting a hard top limit at 1500 per month, and hoping to find that with utilities and parking included. This area seems to be where most of the Jobs I would be qualified fo are. Currently pay 1100-1200 a month for rent and utilities here in Florida in a 725 SF apartment, so small spaces are what I am used to.Will rent a short term for a month when I first arrive, and use that time to find a rental and a job. Will someone rent to me if I have no Job? That is why I want to have a huge cushion of
cash , in a local bank. Would pay the entire 6 months up front if I had too.

Also, why would anyone want to buy a leasehold condo??? I just cant get around the idea of basicly "renting" a condo for a 30 year period and not owning anything!
Is my line of thinking correct? Advantages of buying a lease hold property over a fee simple one(other than price)

Transportation.
Will be shipping my car.I would ride my bike to work if it was close enough.

Personal stuff.

I surf, hike, Mt Bike, dive, fish , camp etc..... Love the outdoors. Really Hate cold water(2-3 months in a wetsuit even here in Central Florida)
every time I have a tough week and am able to make it into the ocean here, all my troubles melt away...I know what you mean!
The older I get, the warmer the water has to be. Have travled extensively (in my younger days) to Central America and the Carribean to surf. Oahu has everything I need in a small Package
(relativily speaking)

Dream situation.

Win the lottery. Buy a piece of land on the North Shore, not beachfront, but kinda on the side of the mountains with ocean view. Build a small 1200 SF "cottage" ,with a garden and some
chickens etc. Not work and just surf and enjoy the outdoors etc.

In reality,would just like to find a decent job, afforable rental, and surf my brains out till I can retire!!!!
I'll include a link to my Chef webpage so you can see the kind of work I do, and just incase a future employer is browsing the forums!!

https://sites.google.com/site/chefbillyinc/

Billy

I surf, hike, Mt Bike, dive, fish , camp etc..... Love the outdoors. Really Hate cold water(2-3 months in a wetsuit even here in Central Florida)
every time I have a tough week and am able to make it into the ocean here, all my troubles melt away...I know what you mean!

Old 05-14-2013, 05:42 PM

20 posts, read 36,775 times
Well it finally happened, was let go today as part of a cost cutting move. Current situation is as follows, want to make the move, but have no job lined up. Have a great resume and a ton of experience in my field(sous chef) Has anyone got details on the job market from a Hospitality side? I realize there is no way I will be making what I was making in Florida, but have seen a couple of adds for sous chefs on various internet job boards. Still guessing that they want you "on Island" before they will talk to you.

How hard will it be to find a 1-2 month rental without a job lined up?(have a good amount of savings to draw from).

Just trying to get a feel of things before the end of the month.

Thanks in advance,

Billy

Old 05-14-2013, 05:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
You can get a vacation rental easily for 1-2 months. And we have low season coming up, or so I've heard, so it should be cheap and readily available.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:51 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,832,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You can get a vacation rental easily for 1-2 months. And we have low season coming up, or so I've heard, so it should be cheap and readily available.
The jury is still out on this. Personally, I'm going to need at least one "dead-people quote" for verification, or maybe 2 citings from Wikipedia.

Mahalo

Old 05-15-2013, 03:17 AM

35 posts, read 69,111 times
Did not know we have a "low season". But if you are looking for a month to month you can try vacationrentals.com.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:28 AM

20 posts, read 36,775 times
Was really planning to do this move back in Feb, but just could not pull the trigger. My current Land lord has known I have wanted to move, told him when he bought the condo from the previous owner. Gona take a few days and rethink things, have been at work (till Yesterday that is) every day since my last visit in Aug last year---so I guess this is my vacation---with a certain amount of stress.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:11 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,984 times
Getting laid off sucks. Don't take it personally and do give yourself a few days to relax and not stress out.

If it was me, I would go ahead and apply. If they don't want to talk till you are on island, then ok. But better to try than not.

+1 on vacation rentals, except I think they are a bit spendy. When I made the move I stayed in an inexpensive hotel till I was able to check out the rentals that looked interesting on Craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu