Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 04:08 PM

44 posts, read 64,384 times

Advertisements

I just accepted a civilian army engineer position in Oahu as a GS-12.

Pay would most likely be close to $75,000 and hopefully PCS (moving costs) will be covered.

I have a wife and 6 kids that will be coming with me at some point.

I'm going to try to live on Ft. Shafter base housing but I don't know what the rent will be.

Anyone else recently make the move from Texas to Oahu?

Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 06:22 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,984 times
Lived in DFW for 10 years in the 90's.

Tips?
Do your homework on where to live......
Don't rent a place sight unseen.
Temporary lodging such as vacation rentals are a good tool while you look for a place to live
Be realistic with your expected budget
Look at Craigslist for a few weeks for what the rental market looks like if you intend on renting

Old 07-19-2013, 08:58 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
As a civilian your chance of getting base housing is............. slim.

Does your wife work?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-19-2013, 09:06 PM

163 posts, read 316,707 times
We are moving there from Alabama. We have 3 kids. 14yo, 8yo and 8m. I don't have a clue as to wether there is a school on base, that may be an option for you. For us we are choosing a living location based on the school districts. Private school isn't an option for us at this point. With one in high school we feel that it is the best plan for us. Do you have a time frame for your move? Good luck!

Old 07-20-2013, 06:15 AM

17 posts, read 54,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klein5 View Post
We are moving there from Alabama. We have 3 kids. 14yo, 8yo and 8m. I don't have a clue as to wether there is a school on base, that may be an option for you. For us we are choosing a living location based on the school districts. Private school isn't an option for us at this point. With one in high school we feel that it is the best plan for us. Do you have a time frame for your move? Good luck!
I will probably go sometime in Sept/Oct and then bring the family late December.

This article states that on base housing is available to civilians so I just have to try. Defense Department civilians, families offered on-post housing options | Article | The United States Army

Are you in the military?

Old 07-20-2013, 06:17 AM

17 posts, read 54,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Does your wife work?
I hope you are wrong.

Although my wife is a degreed electrical engineer she has been a stay at home mom for 25 yrs. She is working to get her teaching certification so we will see how all this works out.

Based on the rentals I'm seeing and what I can afford with one income it doesn't look good.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:10 AM

163 posts, read 316,707 times
We are not military. Sorry, I have no advise for you here.
That is just about our plan as far as your time frame. Hoping to have hubby there around October and he will stay somewhere temporarily and as affordable as possible in order to save more money and then send the rest of us over. I figure if it is close to Christmas we may hold out and go after the first of the year.
I stay at home as well. I do photography on the side as needed. Don't think i will be doing a lot of It there though.
We've been looking at Craigslist to get an idea about pricing in certain locations. We will only be able to afford a 3 bedroom and that's at the top of our budget and around the low end of rent spectrum in our preferred areas at 2500-2800.

If you dont mind me asking, how old are your children? Tell your wife if she's up for making a friend to pm me

Old 07-20-2013, 01:19 PM

431 posts, read 940,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Does your wife work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
I hope you are wrong.

Although my wife is a degreed electrical engineer she has been a stay at home mom for 25 yrs. She is working to get her teaching certification so we will see how all this works out.

Based on the rentals I'm seeing and what I can afford with one income it doesn't look good.
I believe military housing is available to DOD employees but priority goes to military. I work with some military spouses (who have kids) and I know a few are renting off base and are on waiting lists for base housing.
So....not too sure you're going to get that base housing, as a non-military DOD employee.
There are some good threads here about teaching in Hawaii, too---check them out.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:55 PM

[quote=PaliPatty;30581613]I believe military housing is available to DOD employees but priority goes to military. I work with some military spouses (who have kids) and I know a few are renting off base and are on waiting lists for base housing.
So....not too sure you're going to get that base housing, as a non-military DOD employee.
/QUOTE]

That's my understanding also. His link to Schofield has a phone number, so I'm not sure why he hasn't called and just asked.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
I hope you are wrong.

Yeah, that's what I thought. 75K for a one or two people is good, gets much more difficult with children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu