Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 04:42 PM

157 posts, read 218,833 times

Advertisements

We will be in Honolulu on a Saturday in early December (arriving the night before, and leaving on a 7 pm flight for Maui). We are staying in a hotel on Paoakalani Avenue.

So we have less than a full day in Honolulu, and are interested in visiting the USS Arizona Memorial and possibly Diamond Head. Any suggestions on how to best pull this off? Should we rent a car?

Thanks for your assistance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 07:11 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,828,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornblitz View Post
We will be in Honolulu on a Saturday in early December (arriving the night before, and leaving on a 7 pm flight for Maui). We are staying in a hotel on Paoakalani Avenue.

So we have less than a full day in Honolulu, and are interested in visiting the USS Arizona Memorial and possibly Diamond Head. Any suggestions on how to best pull this off? Should we rent a car?

Those two locations are kinda opposite locations of each other. Most folks climb Diamond Head and are done for the day; but if y'all are in great shape, then making that climb in the morning and then DRIVING over to the Memorial can be done. Enjoy!!

Old 10-26-2013, 07:17 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,759,437 times
Quote:

Aloha, yes rent a car. Enjoy

Old 10-26-2013, 07:35 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,817,548 times
Quote:

If you are planning to hike up to the top of Diamond Head, be at the entrance of the park when they open up at 6 am and it shouldn't be a problem. I would suggest that you bring water and a small flashlight.
Have fun!

Hawaii State Parks > Parks > Oahu

Old 10-26-2013, 08:04 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,873,541 times
Make your online reservations for Arizona Memorial NOW! I just checked a random date in December and the pickings are slim. I would plan going in the afternoon since it is near the Airport and you could just go to the airport from there. They will check your bags for $3.00 each if you don't feel good about leaving them in the rental car trunk. I dropped off friends with reservations in Jan. and went on to Pearl Ridge shopping center. They called me because the tours were canceled because of wind. Had to drive back to Diamond Head in rush hour traffic. I'd call before I headed out.

If you do Diamond Head early (much cooler) you'd be done 8 ish and could drive Kahala Ave. to see the fancy houses and on out to Haunauma Bay, Sandy Beach, Waimanalo, Kailua (say Aloha to the Pres.) and back to Honolulu over the Pali. A mini circle island. Lunch in Waikiki and on out to the Memorial.

Sat. nite Kalakaua Ave. and International Market Place will be jammin' till past midnite. check it out.

Hope you're not coming Sat. 12/7/2013!

Old 10-26-2013, 09:41 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,256,262 times
Yes rent a car. Another issue is December 7th is Pearl harbor day. That ceremony is Usually in the am around 7:00 am the time of the attack. Get tickets ahead of time for that date, if you want to attend. You will have to get there early, before the start of the ceremony.
Best of luck and enjoy your stay.
Scott

Old 10-26-2013, 09:43 PM

157 posts, read 218,833 times
Thanks for the helpful info -- I didn't realize we needed a reservation for the memorial, so I really appreciated the head's up. Reservation made! And I'll book a car as well. I like your suggested itinerary, honobob, and will try to follow it (our reservation for the memorial is at 2:30).

Old 10-27-2013, 04:05 PM

181 posts, read 274,243 times
If you're there on the 7th, your day is pretty much going to be the ceremony, the Ford Island museum and the Arizona.

I suggest reading "At Dawn We Slept" before you go.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:27 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,072,039 times
I might suggest going through Costco for the car rental if you are a member.

We actually got a rental for $45 a week. (plus taxes, fees, etc etc etc)
Girl at the counter said she has never seen such a good rate

Old 10-28-2013, 09:31 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
Have fun! Enjoy the amazing coastal views! I love Pearl Harbor history (now that I work for the facilities there). I think you've made good choices. I agree with Diamond Head first thing, then Arizona. Then Schooners gives you a great view for pupus and drinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu