Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2013, 12:19 PM

17 posts, read 30,418 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the earlier feedback about Kaneohe.

I've been on Oahu for 4 months and have spent many of my weekends looking at neighborhoods on the island. My wife and 1 year old daughter will be joining me in March. Mistake #1 many people from the mainland make is selecting a home after viewing it online. I've visited most places both during the day and at night to get a good feel for things, talked to long time residents and asked many questions.

We're now reconsidering Makakilo City for our home search. I've been out to the area about 4-5 times over the past few months. There appears to be some decently priced fee simple condos in Upper Makakilo, on Panana Drive and Makakilo Drive. There is great access to shopping in Kapolei at the bottom of the hill (Wal-Mart, etc.) We like the space and the cost. My wife basically will not live in a place below 1,000 sf.

I understand the drawbacks: heat, traffic and the sun in your eyes on the way to town and back home. I will have to leave the house before 6 am or after 8 am to get to work on time in Ala Moana.

Also under consideration is Sea Country. There have been numerous posts about Waianae and I have traveled out there about 6 times. The number of foreclosures and short sales are fairly numerous and a bit concerning. Also understand there is an issue of break-ins (ADT should solve this). However, the space afforded by the properties (Pakeke Street) is a serious consideration. I like the General Store and general feel of the area.

Any comments on Makakilo and Sea Country by current or former residents would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 10:56 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,112 times
Makakilo is nice my Brother and Sister-in-law lived up there in that area and they liked it was a lot. At night the trade winds cooled the area and you didn't need the A/C, if you had it. Saves on the Electric bill!. Also at Kapolei there is also a DMV office and the S/S office, and the second city as they call it for the city Government. The University Hawaii was building a West Oahu Campus and i believe it is open, I might be mistaken, or should be soon.

I would not live in Waianae there is only one road into Waianae, Farrinton hwy and if there is a car accident the highway gets backed up for miles. I have a friend who lives in Waianae and it takes him one to two hours to get home, without a accident, from Pearl Harbor where we work together. He has to leave for home by 5 am to beat the traffic to the H1/H2 Merge. He always is saying he should not have bought a home out there. A lot of people leave earlier than that time who live in Waianae. Just some information for you hope it helps out. I am sure some one else will pop in and give their views who live in Waianae. Best of luck in your search,
Scott

Old 12-25-2013, 04:33 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,610 times
I d vote for Makakilo. Nicer views, better neighborhood s and a lesser commute.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:51 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M808 View Post
Also understand there is an issue of break-ins (ADT should solve this).
ADT is very expensive. Do not use ADT! They trap you in a 3 year contract and try to auto-renew the contract to get you hooked to their high monthly monitoring for years. You can install a security system installed or install it yourself and use another monitoring company for about $10 - $14 dollars a month, instead of over $40 a month for monitoring. The equipment could cost your a few hundred dollars, but that is a one time cost. A security system that uses high quality components runs maintenance for years. Don't use cheap IR motion detectors and other cheap components. Instead use quality IR/Microwave motion detectors and other components that are very immune to false alarms. Also install fire detectors connected to your system. Most insurance companies will give you a discount if your system has smoke detectors.

Also use high end framing and hardware around your doors. Don't use cheap locks. Cheap locks can be 'bumped' by criminals. Google bumping locks and you'll see how easy it is to defeat a cheap lock. Use Medeco bi-axle locks. These are the same locks that banks use on their doors.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:30 AM

17 posts, read 30,418 times
ScottStielow: Thanks! Yes, University of Hawaii, West Oahu is open and offers a lot of good degree programs. Kapolei has everything without having to go into town. Parking is better, less crowded and prices a bit lower. Makakilo seems to be a good middle point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu