Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,764 times

Advertisements

First off I'm tired of living in Canada; the weather is a real deal-breaker and it's depressing. I had the idea to move to Honolulu and support myself with an unconventional career, owning a food truck. The problem is that I'm only a Canadian citizen which would only make it harder to set up one.
Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 07:19 PM

431 posts, read 939,602 times
Food trucks are all over Oahu. Not an "unconventional" idea at all.
And yes, being a Canadian citizen would make it much tougher for you.
Very competitive. This is only a partial list:

Food Trucks | Urbanspoon

Old 02-16-2014, 07:24 PM

Is there another island besides Oahu where I could start one?

Old 02-16-2014, 10:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
First you'd better look into getting a work visa. Without that it doesn't matter what you do, because you won't be allowed to stay over 6 months, and you can't work.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:36 PM

87 posts, read 133,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahron Grenadier View Post
Is there another island besides Oahu where I could start one?
yeah I mean maui, or big island, but probably have best shot on oahu. be careful though, food tastes for trucks might be different also.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molerat View Post
yeah I mean maui, or big island, but probably have best shot on oahu. be careful though, food tastes for trucks might be different also.
How's Big Island? Are people nice there? Hows the dating scene?

Old 02-17-2014, 06:27 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Here's your new mantra: two scoops of rice and a scoop of macaroni salad. Say that over and over.

Actually a couple who met in Chicago have a great Taco Truck here but she's from here originally. They used to set up at the Farmer's Market where I lived there.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:18 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahron Grenadier View Post
Thoughts?
Your fantasy will never happen.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:58 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
There was a Canadian family here in town who had several businesses, however they didn't hire enough local folks for them to stay in the country and they ended up being deported. Which was a shame, IMHO. I don't know how you'd be able to meet the immigration business requirements with just a food truck. Although, this is just hearsay evidence, you may want to look up the requirements for yourself.

Should it meet the immigration requirements, then there's no particular reason why you couldn't start a food truck somewhere in the state. Dunno how successful it would be, there's too many variables for me to have any sort of valid opinion on that.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:55 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Default Canadian citizen permission to work in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There was a Canadian family here in town who had several businesses, however they didn't hire enough local folks for them to stay in the country and they ended up being deported.

Which was a shame, IMHO. I don't know how you'd be able to meet the immigration business requirements with just a food truck. Although, this is just hearsay evidence, you may want to look up the requirements for yourself.

Should it meet the immigration requirements, then there's no particular reason why you couldn't start a food truck somewhere in the state. Dunno how successful it would be, there's too many variables for me to have any sort of valid opinion on that.
There are several different ways for a Canadian citizen to gain permission to work in the US...

1) Buy a US business, and apply for a Green Card to be able to gain legal residence to manage it. Each case is individually vetted for "appropriate investment and employment," but previous posters have mentioned something like a $150,000 investment and 3 full time employees as a kind of minimum starting point.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/ho...-us--2403.html

2) Start a US Business. Much like #1, but harder to obtain permission for.

3) Be a NAFTA listed degreed or licensed professional (Doctor, Accountant, Industrial Designer, etc ) AND have an American company agree to employ you. Here's the full list of qualified professions: Professions Covered by NAFTA | Embassy of the United States Ottawa, Canada

There are a few others, but those are key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: