Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 08:06 PM

37 posts, read 60,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I was at the customer service desk at Safeway Kapahulu earlier today. I noticed some cigarettes were almost $12 a pack. Seriously, WTH. That's highway robbery. Smokers must be pissed.
the never looked at the prices of Cigarettes, but I remember when I was young my mom would send me to the corner store to get her Cigarettes and they were liKe $2, and they Would sell them to me Can you imagine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 03:24 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulja View Post
Air quality in my city: 122 [Children, active adults, and people with respiratory disease, such as asthma, should limit prolonged outdoor exertion]

Beijing: 544 [Hazardous Health alert: everyone may experience more serious health effects, lol]
LA: 70 [Moderate Health alert: everyone may experience more serious health effects]
NYC: 34
Honolulu: 24
Kona: 9
Yes, Beijing is horrendous. Yesterday authorities referred to it as a "nuclear winter" right now, where the air pollution is so bad it is blocking the sun and causing colder than normal temperatures and problems growing things.

But something is wrong with the figures for Honolulu and Kona. The volcanic emissions that cause vog originate on the Big Island, and affects Kona far more often and far more severely than Honolulu, which is more than 150 miles away. I suspect a typo.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:43 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaLucy View Post
the never looked at the prices of Cigarettes, but I remember when I was young my mom would send me to the corner store to get her Cigarettes and they were liKe $2, and they Would sell them to me Can you imagine!
That's nothing. In 1955 they were 20 cents a pack, and if I went to the store to get them for my dad, and he gave me a quarter to pay for them, sometimes he'd let me keep the change.

In high school the tough guys would roll a pack of cigarettes up in their shirt sleeve.

It's no wonder so many of us got hooked back then, when smoking was so cheap, so easy, and so widely accepted. Today I count among the blessings of my life that I was finally able to break the habit with the help of Hawaii Tobacco Quitline | Hawaii Tobacco Prevention & Control Community. 877-448-7848 or 800-422-6237.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:53 AM

431 posts, read 939,815 times
When I was a kid we bought cigarettes from an old dude for five cents apiece. We knocked on his door, he came out, and the transaction took place. We though we were majorly cool, LOL.

When I started working hospitals had cigarette machines in the lobby. Patients could smoke in their rooms. Nurses smoked in the nurses' station.

No one knew or, if they did, they kept it to themselves.

Things change, very often for the best. :-)

Old 09-17-2014, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,612 times
Default Cost of Living on Oahu

this is your Sept 2014 update:

Small 200 Sq Ft "studio" (really bedroom with a bath) $900 - $1300
Studio with room for small couch besides your bed $1000 - $1600
1 bedroom apt $1200 - 3000
2 bdrm $1500 - 5000
3 bdrm $2500 - 8000

Gas 4.29 gal

We are fortunate to have found an ideal small rental house in the country on the windward side for $1350, an unheard of good deal. Nice back yard where we put a tent up (like the kine garage tent) where we have our outside couch and bbq etc. - adds to the living space as inside is only abt 600 sq ft. It is a small plantation home - very basic, not like the nicer ones, but we love it. If you go out to Nanakuli or Waianae you might still be able to find an occasional 2 bdrm house for $1500-1800 ...

how do we do it? I live with my grown son and his daughter. I have a bedroom, my grandaughter has the other bedroom and my son does not have a bedroom, he sleeps on either the inside couch in the LR or the outside couch under the tent....

We are thinking of moving to big island where rent is cheaper and we could get a 3 bedroom house..

Old 10-03-2014, 12:57 PM

181 posts, read 274,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiki View Post
We are fortunate to have found an ideal small rental house in the country on the windward side for $1350, an unheard of good deal. Nice back yard where we put a tent up
How much would it have cost for more than just a tent in the back yard . . ? XDDDD

If I could find a deal like that I'd be there as soon as I could get my stuff into storage here on the mainland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu