Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 06:15 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdlette View Post
Kinda off-topic. Ala Moana mall has the worst layout I've seen for a mall. The parking is horrendous, too. Very confusing. Kudos to those who know how to navigate that mall. I find it a very unpleasant place to shop. (And I love to shop!)

Location can't be beat, though. Convenient for overflow parking when the lots at the park are full. Though, I suppose that may change in time, too.
Big difference between the open air mall it used to be to now i agree layout wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
Hmm...seems like the purpose of building the Condo's is more of a $$ thing. They can get WAY more for he condo's than what the parking spaces offer up.
I can imagine your right, but i also know that Kaka`ako and Ala Moana areas have issues with Infrastructure, can the areas sewer and drain systems handle a huge development or rise in population? I remember Kaka`ako flooding after hard rains when i lived there. I have a friend who lives in Kaka`ako today that tells me it still floods popping off manhole covers and sewage at times, you have to watchout with your car that it doesn't get gutted driving by.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:06 PM

293 posts, read 361,609 times
I sure noticed a lot of difference's in it and a lot of other places two. Life goes on though.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:11 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,531,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
It's a shopping center. Not a place to run around and not spend a dime. Not a place to reconnect with friends. If you aren't there to shop - then you go out of business (like Sears).

If you want to reconnect with friends - go to the beach or a park. Don't clutter up a shopping mall.
Haha, whtviper1 strikes again, keeping it real. I think you and HbyH have some kind of passive-aggressive thing going. It's good to get different perspectives though. It would be boring if everyone had the same opinion. As for me, I don't like shopping period and especially someplace as crowded as Ala Moana. I only go there if I have to and try to finish as soon as I can.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:29 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Haha, whtviper1 strikes again, keeping it real. I think you and HbyH have some kind of passive-aggressive thing going. It's good to get different perspectives though. It would be boring if everyone had the same opinion. As for me, I don't like shopping period and especially someplace as crowded as Ala Moana. I only go there if I have to and try to finish as soon as I can.
I agree again. It's packed there. Why anyone would just hang out there makes no sense. Shop. And leave. Someone else wants your parking space!

Old 10-09-2014, 01:16 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,783 times
As a male I can't stand the mall in general, my GF hates when we go to Ala Moana or Bellevue Square (in Seattle) together since I always go when I know I need something; a.k.a. straight line there, purchase, turn around, and GTFO as quickly as possible. Too crowded and too many kids around to make it enjoyable to hang out there IMO, and yes, Ala Moana has the worst parking lot layout I have ever seen. I don't think I ever have been able to figure it out even after all these years, so I just park in the same general area every time so I don't get lost (AND I have a good natural sense of direction), I can't imagine how women figure it out...Of course that could be intentionally planned by the architects to keep them in the mall longer

Old 10-09-2014, 10:20 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Enjoy the video, some it will bring back memories and others will focus on the social economic impacts, while even more who are newcomers to Hawai'i will perceive something they didn't know. Respond with your memories, respond with your feelings of change or issues. Good or Bad its welcome
For folks that prefer to read and don't have the time to watch all of the YouTube videos, here are links to the original KHON series of articles about Ala Moana…
Part I: Introduction | KHON2
Part II: Origin | KHON2
Part III: Construction | KHON2
Part IV: Early Years | KHON2
Part V: Evolution | KHON2
Part VI: Transformation | KHON2
Part VII: Future | KHON2

While I miss Woolworth's, Liberty House, Sears and some of the other stores that used to be at Ala Moana, as long as Shirokiya is still around, I'll probably continue to shop there.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:37 AM

@Jonah K ^^^^^

Mahalo for your post.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:50 AM

@WannabeCPA, whtviper1, thatguy950

If i remember correctly when the new owners took over Ala Moana Shopping Center in the 80s they changed the focus from a local focused mall to a high end tourist mall? Thus the crowding.

I hate huge crowds too. Im just wondering whats it going to be like after the new ewa branch is built. You think crowding or parking was an issue before? Have you guys seen the plans yet?

Condos to be built at Ala Moana Center - YouTube

Ala Moana Center reveals new details for expansion - YouTube

As i watched it, it reminded me of the New International Market Place in model and look.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:31 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@WannabeCPA, whtviper1, thatguy950

If i remember correctly when the new owners took over Ala Moana Shopping Center in the 80s they changed the focus from a local focused mall to a high end tourist mall? Thus the crowding.

I hate huge crowds too. Im just wondering whats it going to be like after the new ewa branch is built. You think crowding or parking was an issue before? Have you guys seen the plans yet?

As i watched it, it reminded me of the New International Market Place in model and look.
Yeah the new wing will really crowd it up, but at least that means commerce is is taking place and keeping the economic engine running. The 80's were a little before my time (I was born in the 80's, but I can't really remember anything from that time period), but I can remember as recently as 2004 going to Ala Moana and it not being completely overrun like it is today, especially at Christmas! We have spent the summer in Seattle but will be heading back home pretty soon, seems like every time we spend a few months away something changes in Ala Moana, so we'll take a look around when we get back.

Bellevue Square, an "upscale" mall in a pricey suburb of Seattle, is the same way; go on a weekend and it's literally like walking through a river of people. A lot of Chinese from Canada like to come down to shop in the Bellevue area since it has Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus (at the Bravern in Bellevue, even MORE upscale), high-end jewelers, etc... Hell, Bellevue Square even has a car dealership INSIDE the mall on the SECOND floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: