Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2014, 03:11 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times

Advertisements

@Dreaming of Hawaii

Auntie, I was refering to Oahu not the big island.

Costco, target, wal-mart are all mainland big box stores vs local stores like ABC, longs, foodland, holiday mart, Daiei and Don Quijote just to name a few.

3rd: Your quote: The focus has been making life easier for EVERYONE, whether they've lived here 100 years or two. Not everyone here wants to live the way their ancestors did; people want affordable shopping opportunities and decent places to live. end quote:

Once again auntie. All the decades before the current in oahu was more affordable then today especially rents and utilities. Thou you maynot believe this we did have modern stuff, i even had cable back then. We had skyscrapers and concrete and cars, busses etc etc. The difference is most local business reflected the local culture, it hard to explain. Try shopping at Don Quijote or Daiei or Holiday mart.

I agree there are many reasons outside of what i said in my post your responding to that caused mainlanders

Pg 1/2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 03:37 PM

@Dreaming of Hawaii

Pg 2/2

Or foreigners to leave decades ago. You brought up some good ones. But mostly its was peoples inability to adapt to something so different. I can give you some examples of what im trying to say. Lets take something simple like snack food. Did you know that one of the most popular snack foods in Oahu in my time was Crackseed products. There were at least 2 or 3 stores in every neighborhood that focused on crackseed products and every grocery store you can buy it in. It was a multi million dollar business. There was even a store in Ala Moana Shopping Center that sold it. Today all those stores are gone and really the only business still open mostly does online orders. Today the big mac probably outsells it. The point is this was an asian/hawaiian thing. Crackseed is awsome even today but its an aquired taste.

Back then the lack of what mainlanders considered modern stores or convalescence, coupled with a totally strong foreign culture and customs etc was population control in Oahu

Old 11-08-2014, 03:46 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@Dreaming of Hawaii

Auntie, I was refering to Oahu not the big island.

Pg 1/2
Okay, I get it. WalMart, Target, and Costco are where the rich foreigners shop on Oahu. Sorry, I didn't know that!

Old 11-08-2014, 04:09 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
The difference is most local business reflected the local culture, it hard to explain. Try shopping at Don Quijote or Daiei or Holiday mart.
Don Quijote, Daiei, and Holiday Mart probably aren't the best example of "locally-owed" retailers, considering that all of them were Japanese-owned.

Quote:
I can give you some examples of what im trying to say. Lets take something simple like snack food. Did you know that one of the most popular snack foods in Oahu in my time was Crackseed products. There were at least 2 or 3 stores in every neighborhood that focused on crackseed products and every grocery store you can buy it in. It was a multi million dollar business. There was even a store in Ala Moana Shopping Center that sold it. Today all those stores are gone and really the only business still open mostly does online orders. Today the big mac probably outsells it. The point is this was an asian/hawaiian thing. Crackseed is awsome even today but its an aquired taste.
"Crack seed" is Chinese. It's available throughout China and can also be found in most Chinatowns and grocery stores that cater to Chinese customers -- just ask for "huàméi." "Mochi crunch" is another so-called "local snack food. In Japan, and Japanese grocery stores, it's known as "aware." Most of the stuff that made shopping in Hawaiʻi somewhat unique thirty or forty years ago, can be found in its place of origin or within the continental United States nowadays. Change isnʻt exactly a "one-way street."

Old 11-08-2014, 05:16 PM

959 posts, read 1,216,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Don Quijote, Daiei, and Holiday Mart probably aren't the best example of "locally-owed" retailers, considering that all of them were Japanese-owned.

"Crack seed" is Chinese. It's available throughout China and can also be found in most Chinatowns and grocery stores that cater to Chinese customers -- just ask for "huàméi." "Mochi crunch" is another so-called "local snack food. In Japan, and Japanese grocery stores, it's known as "aware." Most of the stuff that made shopping in Hawaiʻi somewhat unique thirty or forty years ago, can be found in its place of origin or within the continental United States nowadays. Change isnʻt exactly a "one-way street."
Even Longs Drug Stores were started by a couple of guys from the Mainland who decided to grow a business in Hawaii after first opening a store in California under a slightly different name. And these guys were related to one of the founders of Safeway.

I''m sure they also displaced quite a number of little mom & pop drug stores when they came over from the mainland and started their chain of drug stores.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:28 PM

959 posts, read 1,216,167 times
Quote:
Im sorry i just cant be quiet on this. This is an example of faulty thinking and why you get so much stink by me viper. Yes you live in Hawaii currently but you sometimes dont know nothing besides whats in front of your face. You have no roots, no history so you make off the wall statements.

Now take away your wallmart, target and other highend stuff and people will leave.

Culture was anorher population control messure in the past. In the past it used to be locals outnumbered transplants and tourist liike 3 to 1, today tourists and transplants outnumber locals 6 to 1. As mention above it was very difficult for new people to adapt to a new way of thinking and doing things. It was a culture shock. But today because efforts were made to make life easier culturally oahu reflects more mainland in culture then local or native hawaiian or asian.

In conclusion: this is why your suggestion of raising the cost of living in Hawaii as a means to limit population is off the wall. Its like repeating the same actions that got us in trouble in the first place only in a larger scale. All the garbage of needing places like the new international market place to stimulate the economy is just that garbage. Hawaii itself made big bucks and people rich. When people say they need this or that built to stimulate the economy 9 out of 10 times it means my multi million dollor profit isnt enough for me i want billions. But these billions shouldnt be made at the expense of others homes and lives.
If I understand correctly, you're suggesting a two prong approach to limit population growth on Oahu:

(1) Force WalMart, Target and "other high end stuff" off the Island.
(2) Force the culture to resemble Hawaii culture from the past.

Did I fairly summarize your post and the suggestions within the post ?

How do you force some retailers off the Island ? How do you force a culture onto the people living on the island ?

I don't see any way either of those to suggestions could ever be implemented and I doubt it would be effective even if you could implement it.

I'm serious how you feel this could be done and how it would be more effective than the tax policy adjustments I suggested in an earlier post ? Which doesn't increase costs for long-term residents, doesn't make the island unappealing for tourists, but does create a financial dis-incentive for people to move to the island.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:31 PM

@Jonah K

Uhmmm how did i know you were going to respond this way? Lol would it be reasonable to say the population of hawaii is about 60% asian? Either full or hapa mixed? So would it also be reasonable to say that because the population is that make up that asian stuff or asian culture would be more local then say pizza hut?

Further mochi mix is just one catagory of crackseed. Li hing mui and preserved plums are what im basically talking about. And no not every chinatown grocery store carries good crackseed. Hmmm can you point me to a Don Quijote, Daiei, and Holiday Mart in Oregon? ABC, longs, foodland, holiday mart, Daiei and Don Quijote are some examples but there are hundreds more in the past.

But the whole point of bringing this up wasn't to argue what is local or not but to make the point that in the past we didn't need to hike prices up to have population control. By not looking or being mainlanderfied it kept people from moving to oahu. My argument opposed raising prices as a solution.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:47 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times
Quote:
Hmmm can you point me to a Don Quijote, Daiei, and Holiday Mart in Oregon? ABC, longs, foodland, holiday mart, Daiei and Don Quijote are some examples but there are hundreds more in the past.
I understand what you are saying. However, couldn't almost anyone from almost anywhere say the same thing? I know that there are MANY examples of things and places that I loved from my childhood in Oregon that are do longer here. Do I miss them? Yes. Can I do anything about them being gone? No, I don't think so.
Do you have any suggestions of what would restore things in Hawaii to the way you remember them?
Another more important question, if you could do this, what would the locals that live there today think of you?

Old 11-09-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Okay, I get it. WalMart, Target, and Costco are where the rich foreigners shop on Oahu. Sorry, I didn't know that!
Sigh, the point of having the skyscrapers higher then diamond head and redevelopment pushing out local business etc and to make affordable housing affordable for people who make 125k a year min and move in places like NeimanMarcus, is to what auntie? Only about 30% of all hawaii makes more then 100k a year.

Local has always been represented by the middle class and working class. By driving rents up in retail spaces like ala moana your for sure guaranteed to have local businesses like Foodland, Iddas, Crackseed center close doors and move because they don't have as deep of pockets as a wholefoods or target or NeimanMarcus, Guccie, Fendi, Ferrari Store and Jimmy Choo for example of places that replaced local business in malls in Oahu. All these types of places like walmart, wholefoods and target etc is to make people comfortable and make it like home.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 11-09-2014 at 12:49 AM..

Old 11-09-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I understand what you are saying. However, couldn't almost anyone from almost anywhere say the same thing? I know that there are MANY examples of things and places that I loved from my childhood in Oregon that are do longer here. Do I miss them? Yes. Can I do anything about them being gone? No, I don't think so.
Do you have any suggestions of what would restore things in Hawaii to the way you remember them?
Another more important question, if you could do this, what would the locals that live there today think of you?
Again the point of me bringing this up wasn't a suggestion to go back and live in teepees again. What it was is a counter argument against whtvipers1 suggestion to keep raising prices to limit the growth in population which means we will have to keep redeveloping and bringing in highend stuff to bring in a more richer population. My suggestion was just stop mainlandifying oahu and eventually the population will fall again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: