Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2014, 11:30 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,760,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Stopped in the almost Walmart like ABC store on the Las Vegas strip this weekend. I can't help but feel the residents of Las Vegas want their local culture back and to kick ABC store to the curb but it sure seemed crowded.
Lol your lolo man. Your in Vegas on vacation, you have a lovely asian wife. WTH is wrong wit you man lol. Get out of here. I hear your wife calling. Don't come back till your done with vacation.

Seriously in good intention. CDF Hawaii will be here when you get back. Go live life and hug your gorgeous wife and be greatful whtviper1. Aloha have good time. Go play a round of ultimate texas hold'em for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 12:26 PM

959 posts, read 1,217,028 times
In my opinion, Don Quijote is nothing different than an early version of a Japanese WalMart.

And I can imagine when they first came over and opened their super-store in Hawaii, there were probably a bunch of old timers complaining about how Japan was taking over everything and that Daiei / Don Quijote are just pushing the little businesses out of business.

Things change with each generation. Crack Seed is one generations snack. But it's not the next generations snack. Crack seed stores going out of business has more to do with generational change than with people from the mainland moving to Hawaii .... Which really is your beef, HBH. Asians still substantially outnumber mainland caucasians in Hawaii and yet crack seed specialty stores have folded up shop. But that's generational change and not much else.

I have many first generation and second generation Vietnamese friends and I can clearly see the differences from one generation to the next.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:29 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@Jonah K

Once again Jonah K, this isnt an discussion of what is local or not but how to limit growth. Mahalo for the Uwajimaya - Beaverton, Oregon, Fubonn Shopping Center - the Largest Asian Shopping Center in Oregon i have shopped at both and this is why i go online and order crackseed from Hawaii. The crackseed center and Wholesale Unlimited and Crackseed World have superior products. Uwajimaya mostly has see mui seeds which basicly are like just dried plums.
Okay, just get continue to order crack seed from the internet. Here are a few more sources…
Aloha Gourmet - Crack Seed
Crack Seed Center
Lin's Hawaiian Snacks

Quote:
Its also not a question if mainland stuff or culture isnt part of local hawaii culture? it is. but property balanced with everything else. But thats another topic.

Uhmmm Oahu's population grew from 876,156 to 953,207 residents according to the latest census. More then the the states 769,913 people in 70s
So? In Before the Horror: The Population of Hawaiʻi on the Eve of Western Contact, UH Professor David E. Stannard makes a pretty good case that the population of a pre-industralized Hawaiʻi was 800,000 or more. There still some room for growth before Oʻahu reaches it's "carrying capacity."

Quote:
Well im not sure what your preposing with this statement? Free pass or privilege? But everytime i hear the patriotic: liberty and life and free to be from todays population, i cant help but reflect, do these people truly believe this because if they did? Things would be different for native hawaiians, locals etc and todays Hawaii would look alot more different then it does today. Or is the liberty and free to be stuff only used to keep the upperhand or privilege?
You insinuated that Japanese (and other Asian) companies operating in Hawaiʻi are somehow "more local" than companies that are based in the continental United States. To this kanaka maoli, companies operating in Hawaiʻi that are headquartered in Ōsaka are just as "non-local" as companies that are headquartered in Bentonville, Arkansas.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:07 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
@Dreaming of Hawaii

Pg 2/2

Or foreigners to leave decades ago. You brought up some good ones. But mostly its was peoples inability to adapt to something so different. I can give you some examples of what im trying to say. Lets take something simple like snack food. Did you know that one of the most popular snack foods in Oahu in my time was Crackseed products. There were at least 2 or 3 stores in every neighborhood that focused on crackseed products and every grocery store you can buy it in. It was a multi million dollar business. There was even a store in Ala Moana Shopping Center that sold it. Today all those stores are gone and really the only business still open mostly does online orders. Today the big mac probably outsells it. The point is this was an asian/hawaiian thing. Crackseed is awsome even today but its an aquired taste.

Back then the lack of what mainlanders considered modern stores or convalescence, coupled with a totally strong foreign culture and customs etc was population control in Oahu
Crackseed is made by various manufacturer's and I can buy it at Safeway, Costco, Walmart and any other store.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-09-2014, 01:37 PM

@WaikikiBoy

Lol well it pays to know history, Don Quijote replaced Daiei and Daiei replaced holiday market at the same location. No locals probably didn't complain because it the same business with different names but almost the same experience. My spirit of intent is not to be negative ok, but try thinking less practical and more outside the box. Crackseed wasn't a generation thing it was a hawaii thing. Our aunties and uncles generation and there parents were eating crackseed before we was born. It reached its peak in my generation with Yick Lung.

Its so hard to explain in words what im trying to explain. You have to have been in Hawaii back then to experience it to understand. It was just culturally different and the experiences were different. I hate to use the word more Hawaii.

Heres a different way to approach what im saying even thou we got off topic. For me i love Hawaii music not because its technically superior or its popular. But i love Hawaii music because i can feel the mana

Pg 1/2

Old 11-09-2014, 01:58 PM

Pg 2/2

@WaikikiBoy

or spirit of the songs more often then other music, most of the time it makes me feel like it felt for me when i was home. Most of the music isnt new but passed down tru generations. But you wouldn't get the same spirit if U2 sang the songs or tupac lol.

The Hawaiian Legends: Ledward Kaapana, Dennis Kamakahi & Nathan Aweau: Ku'u Lei Awapuhi small.mov - YouTube

Honolulu City Lights - Keola & Kapono Beamer - YouTube

Olomana- Ku'u Home O Kahalu'u - YouTube

It doesn't matter what generation with Hawaiian music the spirit of hawaii or mana is there. Nathen has it. Other today stars have the mana too. Now compare it to day to day life in oahu? The mana or spirit of the islands just isn't as strong

Old 11-09-2014, 02:03 PM

@Jonah K

Lol i agree to kanaka maoli no one is local and we all are visitors lol. Including me.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Crackseed is made by various manufacturer's and I can buy it at Safeway, Costco, Walmart and any other store.
But for some reason getting a li hing mui icee is getting harder and harder to find with the closing of crackseed stores everywhere and the experiences are being lost too .

Where You Live: Mister Young's Crack seed shop - YouTube

Trends & Talkers: Mr. Young's Crack Seed store - YouTube

Unfortantly i heard Mister Young's Crack seed shop had closed recently?

Iconic Seed Store Closes After 51 Years - YouTube

Its hard to imagine that basically these local hawaii iconic places are being shutdown not because of supply and demand but priced out of business.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Lol well it pays to know history, Don Quijote replaced Daiei and Daiei replaced holiday market at the same location. No locals probably didn't complain because it the same business with different names but almost the same experience. My spirit of intent is not to be negative ok, but try thinking less practical and more outside the box. Crackseed wasn't a generation thing it was a hawaii thing. Our aunties and uncles generation and there parents were eating crackseed before we was born. It reached its peak in my generation with Yick Lung.

Its so hard to explain in words what im trying to explain. You have to have been in Hawaii back then to experience it to understand. It was just culturally different and the experiences were different. I hate to use the word more Hawaii.
It's not that hard to put into words. "Nostalgia" sums it up pretty succinctly.

Those of us that were born and raised in Hawaiʻi know what it was like years ago. However, for those of us that remained in Hawaiʻi, the process of change is part of our "collective experience" as well. Folks that haven't lived in Hawaiʻi for a while don't share that "collective experience" and the changes that have gradually occurred over time seem all the more jarring. For instance, folks that havenʻt been on Oʻahu since the early 1980s are somewhat taken aback when they see Kapolei, the H-3, the Hawaiʻi Convention Center, and other things that either didn't exist or were under construction the last time they were on-island.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
But for some reason getting a li hing mui icee is getting harder and harder to find with the closing of crackseed stores everywhere and the experiences are being lost too.

Its hard to imagine that basically these local hawaii iconic places are being shutdown not because of supply and demand but priced out of business.
Supply and demand probably played a major role in why crack seed stores went out of business. Crack seed and other items dusted with li hing mui aren't exactly the healthiest of snack foods and folks that are "diet-conscious" or "health-conscious" most likely switched to healthier alternatives…
What’s Inside Li Hing Mui? | On The Move | Midweek.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: