Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2014, 12:26 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,777,246 times

Advertisements

^^^^^

Some can't live without there starbucks or krispy kreams for example. Or just going back to the local culture a few decades ago. When locals spoke heavy pidgin. Like this. And some heavier.

Rap's Hawaii - Murdie Murdock's Used Cars - YouTube

Nothing harder then trying to learn a new language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 12:43 AM

@WaikikiBoy

What im suggesting is quit Gentrifing or mainlandifying oahu and eventually the population will fall again in time.

How do you force a culture onto the people living on the island? How did mainland culture be forced and become the dominant culture on Oahu? Interesting stat, before the big change in Oahu locals out numbered the tourist and transplant 3 to 1. Today the transplant and tourist out number locals 6 to 1. Real startling stat. It starts with making the cost of living to high, then Gentrification of communities and pushing out local business, then as local population gets smaller, culture changes.

Lol the video i shared with mcfrosty is one a friend from oahu jokes about. He listens to it to remind himself what heavier pidgin sounded like lol.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:07 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,824,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
My suggestion was just stop mainlandifying oahu and eventually the population will fall again.
I wonder, is Oahu being made to look like the mainland or are the people of Oahu getting what they want? Sure, many there can not afford to shop at the expensive places but for the rich, they are getting what they want. People in lower income brackets are also getting their stores to shop at. In fact, if you look at Oahu as a whole, I would say that the overwhelming majority of stores are for the lower income brackets because there are more people in those brackets. I would also say that when I am on Oahu, I still see lots of mom & pop stores and restaurants. Most of my favorite places to go are the small shops and eateries.

With the age of technology the world has become very small. People all over the world see stuff on TV or on the internet and want it. A good business person will take notice of this and give the people what they want no matter where in the world they are located. But that's just my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong and if I am, please let me know and explain why.

Last edited by McFrostyJ; 11-09-2014 at 03:38 AM..

Old 11-09-2014, 03:22 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,118,323 times
Quote:
^^^^^

Some can't live without there starbucks or krispy kreams for example. Or just going back to the local culture a few decades ago. When locals spoke heavy pidgin. Like this. And some heavier.

Rap's Hawaii - Murdie Murdock's Used Cars - YouTube

Nothing harder then trying to learn a new language.
A numbah one top shape!! Thanks for posting the video... it took me on a little nostalgic youtube Rap's video run. Great memories.

Pidgin is definitely less prevalent today than it was 20 or 30 years ago. My pidgin is still very thick but I thankfully have the ability to (subconsciously) turn it on and off depending on the environment that I am speaking in. Admittedly, I prefer to speak pidgin over "proper" english; the thicker the better. It's just so much more natural for me. Some people think it makes you sound less educated; I completely disagree.

I hope the day locals start speaking *only* proper english never comes. Culturally, it will be a huge loss... a billion times greater than the loss of crack seed stores.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:02 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,273,075 times
Quote:
@Jonah K

Uhmmm how did i know you were going to respond this way? Lol would it be reasonable to say the population of hawaii is about 60% asian? Either full or hapa mixed? So would it also be reasonable to say that because the population is that make up that asian stuff or asian culture would be more local then say pizza hut?
Nope. By virtue of Hawai'i being part of the United States, Pizza Hut is just as "local" as Don Quijote or any other company doing business here that has its main headquarters in Asia.

Quote:
Further mochi mix is just one catagory of crackseed. Li hing mui and preserved plums are what im basically talking about. And no not every chinatown grocery store carries good crackseed. Hmmm can you point me to a Don Quijote, Daiei, and Holiday Mart in Oregon? ABC, longs, foodland, holiday mart, Daiei and Don Quijote are some examples but there are hundreds more in the past.
"Mochi crunch" is not "crack seed" -- it is a local snack that is simply Japanese arare renamed. "Crack seed" is a different category of local snack that is usually based on dried or preserved fruit (and other items) that are dusted with li hing mui powder. One can purchase assorted varieties of mochi crunch and crack seed at most local Wal-Marts, K-Marts, Costcos, Sam's Clubs, and Targets. As for Don Quijote, Daiei, and Holiday Marts in Oregon, folks there have Uwaijimaya, the Fubonn Shopping Center and other places that are fairly equivalent (if not superior).
Uwajimaya - Beaverton, Oregon
Fubonn Shopping Center - the Largest Asian Shopping Center in Oregon

Quote:
But the whole point of bringing this up wasn't to argue what is local or not but to make the point that in the past we didn't need to hike prices up to have population control. By not looking or being mainlanderfied it kept people from moving to oahu. My argument opposed raising prices as a solution.
Not everyone wishes to live in an isolated, island archipelago that's 2,500 miles from the nearest continent. As long as folks continue to die or move away, Oʻahu is unlikely to reach its "carrying capacity" anytime soon.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:02 AM

@McFrostyJ

Your quote: is Oahu being made to look like the mainland or are the people of Oahu getting what they want? end quote:

Thats an interesting question. I would have to say it probably depends on what the makeup of the population of oahu is. If the population is 3 to 1 locals it would look different like it did 30 + 40 years ago. If the population is 6 to 1 in favor of tourist and transplants then you will probably get what you see today a mainlandified oahu. But once again it isnt an argument of what was better the 70s, 80s etc or current times but how to limit growth. But you do bring up some good points. Id like to say look thru history of Oahu and findout what they did to bring in the money and population and do the opposite. But im also sure mcfrostyj all the locals who now live on big island or mainland who were priced out wouldn't agree with you on getting what they wantted. Which brings up another good topic but at a different time. What is Hawaii and her spirit. Mahalo McfrostyJ

Old 11-09-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
A numbah one top shape!! Thanks for posting the video... it took me on a little nostalgic youtube Rap's video run. Great memories.

Pidgin is definitely less prevalent today than it was 20 or 30 years ago. My pidgin is still very thick but I thankfully have the ability to (subconsciously) turn it on and off depending on the environment that I am speaking in. Admittedly, I prefer to speak pidgin over "proper" english; the thicker the better. It's just so much more natural for me. Some people think it makes you sound less educated; I completely disagree.

I hope the day locals start speaking *only* proper english never comes. Culturally, it will be a huge loss... a billion times greater than the loss of crack seed stores.
Lol, i agree with you 100% and yes its an subconscious thing. Glad you enjoyed bruddah. Anything is only gone when we forget eh?

Old 11-09-2014, 10:47 AM

@Jonah K

Once again Jonah K, this isnt an discussion of what is local or not but how to limit growth. Mahalo for the Uwajimaya - Beaverton, Oregon, Fubonn Shopping Center - the Largest Asian Shopping Center in Oregon i have shopped at both and this is why i go online and order crackseed from Hawaii. The crackseed center and Wholesale Unlimited and Crackseed World have superior products. Uwajimaya mostly has see mui seeds which basicly are like just dried plums.

Its also not a question if mainland stuff or culture isnt part of local hawaii culture? it is. but property balanced with everything else. But thats another topic.

Your quote: Not everyone wishes to live in an isolated, island archipelago that's 2,500 miles from the nearest continent. As long as folks continue to die or move away, Oʻahu is unlikely to reach its "carrying capacity" anytime soon. end quote:

Uhmmm Oahu's population grew from 876,156 to 953,207 residents according to the latest census. More then the the states 769,913 people in 70s

Old 11-09-2014, 11:15 AM

^^^^^^

@Jonah K

Your quote: Nope. By virtue of Hawai'i being part of the United States, Pizza Hut is just as "local" as Don Quijote or any other company doing business here that has its main headquarters in Asia. End quote:

Well im not sure what your preposing with this statement? Free pass or privilege? But everytime i hear the patriotic: liberty and life and free to be from todays population, i cant help but reflect, do these people truly believe this because if they did? Things would be different for native hawaiians, locals etc and todays Hawaii would look alot more different then it does today. Or is the liberty and free to be stuff only used to keep the upperhand or privilege?

Old 11-09-2014, 11:17 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,975,901 times
Quote:
@Jonah K

ABC, longs, foodland, holiday mart, Daiei and Don Quijote are some examples but there are hundreds more in the past.
Stopped in the almost Walmart like ABC store on the Las Vegas strip this weekend. I can't help but feel the residents of Las Vegas want their local culture back and to kick ABC store to the curb but it sure seemed crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: