Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 02:12 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The Aulani has built what is essentially a fish tank to swim in that has, of course, a lot of fish. It's about 9 ft. at it's deepest and you have to wear a flotation device so you cannot go under the water.
I did that a very long time ago at one of the water parks at Disney World. I thought it was just ok. My niece LOVED it! There they gave us each this mini air tank to put on our backs that only lasted about 15 minutes. You still had to have the flotation device though. What I thought was odd was that the fish in there seemed less friendly than the ones out in the wild. I guess they are used to seeing idiots like me pay to swim with them.

One of my favorite things about snorkeling in Hawaii is having a Humu come racing up to you, stop a few inches away from your mask, stare at you and then race away a few seconds later. They seem very curious and are extremely fast when they want to be.

Last year on our anniversary day we decided to just stay around Lahaina and went snorkeling right out in front of the Lahaina Shores hotel. Didn't see tons of fish but did have a reef shark rub up against me and then circle us 3 times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 04:27 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I did that a very long time ago at one of the water parks at Disney World. I thought it was just ok. My niece LOVED it! There they gave us each this mini air tank to put on our backs that only lasted about 15 minutes. You still had to have the flotation device though. What I thought was odd was that the fish in there seemed less friendly than the ones out in the wild. I guess they are used to seeing idiots like me pay to swim with them.

One of my favorite things about snorkeling in Hawaii is having a Humu come racing up to you, stop a few inches away from your mask, stare at you and then race away a few seconds later. They seem very curious and are extremely fast when they want to be.

Last year on our anniversary day we decided to just stay around Lahaina and went snorkeling right out in front of the Lahaina Shores hotel. Didn't see tons of fish but did have a reef shark rub up against me and then circle us 3 times.
Dude. That's why I stay out of the water. /lol

To show I am completely bi-polar, I highly recommend the caged shark dive out of Haleiwa Harbor. They are EVERYWHERE!!!!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-16-2015, 04:46 PM

52 posts, read 164,420 times
They might be everywhere but after searching I can't find a shark attack on the North Shore since 2004. With all of the people in the water on the North Shore, that's a very low rate of attacks. I'd say low enough that you shouldn't even think about it. Now Maui, that's where the sharks like to eat people. Way more attacks over there.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:50 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
But the Aulani is not at the North Shore, and I'm pretty sure the White Plains area has had some nips.
Not positive though.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-16-2015, 05:47 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

I highly recommend the caged shark dive out of Haleiwa Harbor.
I also recommend the Shark Tour - well worth the money - very awesome.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Early View Post
Now Maui, that's where the sharks like to eat people. Way more attacks over there.
Sharks don't eat people. However, they sometimes will mistake a person for food, take a taste and spit them back out!

Old 06-17-2015, 03:32 PM

52 posts, read 164,420 times
I know and I thought that I should change it when I wrote it, but I thought that it read better if the sharks eat you than bite you. Sharks do like monk seals for breakfast though, and when I heard that Eva had monks seals that sun on the beach, I left my wetsuit at home when I swam in the ocean. I didn't want the sharks to think I would be a good breakfast.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:27 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
McFrosty, are you just going to Oahu, or will you be coming over to Hawaii Island?

Old 06-17-2015, 11:25 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Early View Post
Sharks do like monk seals for breakfast though, and when I heard that Eva had monks seals that sun on the beach,.
If sharks actually preferred monk seals over anything else out there, there wouldn't be a single monk seal left.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
McFrosty, are you just going to Oahu, or will you be coming over to Hawaii Island?
This year, just Oahu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu