Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 12:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Actually, if you work in Hawaii Kai, you could live in town (Honolulu proper). It's a reverse commute
and the traffic is not onerous. The rental options are far greater and probably cheaper depending on
your needs than Hawaii Kai. Hawaii Kai is also a 'suburb' of Honolulu proper. Lots of, single, detached
homes.....pretty boring, IMHO.
Hawaii Kai is not a suburb of Honolulu - it is a neighborhood in Honolulu - just as Waikiki is.

You still have to deal with heavy traffic at least to University Avenue when UH is in session.

Hawaii Kai is likely going to have better access to the beach - and there are plenty of condos/townhouses that include parking that are competitively priced and generally higher quality than many of the townside alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 04:19 PM

451 posts, read 412,200 times
Hawaii Kai is thirteen or fourteen miles from central Honolulu. Call it a neighborhood of Honolulu if you are so inclined; perhaps a neighborhood of greater Honolulu would be a better description, however a 'burb' it is, and likely ever will be in all its accouterments and panache.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:06 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,750 times
There are a few buildings in Waikiki that rent 1 bedrooms with Electricity included for that price. PM me if you want names.

30 Mins from Waikiki to Hawaii Kai is reasonable and reverse of the ‘normal’ commute.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 617 times
I love living in Hawaii Kai, but I agree with Rain Monkey about the commute times. Living in town will give you more options for your price range. Plus, if you are single, you will be happy to be in town near the night life, I'm guessing. There is no night life in HK and not much more in Kailua.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Call it a neighborhood of Honolulu if you are so inclined
What do you mean, if I'm so inclined - Hawaii Kai is part of Honolulu, that is a fact. It isn't an opinion. You are far more likely to find a higher quality condo or townhouse to rent at that price point than much of the rest of Honolulu - and according to post 7, the job is near Hanauma Bay - which is the far end of Hawaii Kai from the urban core, so commuting that makes little sense.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:38 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,827 times
It is true that you can rent condos for cheap in Hawaii Kai... but that's because the condos out there are old and outdated and virtually everyone that lives in Hawaii Kai live in single family homes, duplexes or townhomes. Most people live in condos because they are usually located in areas that are close to work, entertainment venues, restaurants, bars, hospitals, cultural activities, etc... some have very walkable communities. Condos in Hawaii Kai are just odd... and score a near perfect 0 Walkscore. You have to deal with a commute AND an elevator. It's like the worst of both worlds. That's why you can get condos in Hawaii Kai for cheap - they just aren't desirable. I grew up in Hawaii Kai in the 70/80's and it is very much a suburb.

To the OP... if you're single and outgoing, you will likely be very miserable in Hawaii Kai. Unless you're OK spending $60++ on Uber/Lyft every time you go out (assuming you drink) with friends in town, it's just not practical. But you didn't mention if you're a cave-dwelling introvert or a bit more sociable. If you're the former and don't socialize much, Hawaii Kai is probably a good fit. Few things in life are as wonderful as a short commute to work.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:48 PM

451 posts, read 412,200 times
pj737 Wrote: 'Few things in life are as wonderful as a short commute to work.'

Right you are, especially if you own the business. There is absolutely nothing better as an owner than being able to stop in, at a moments notice or not, 24/7 without enduring a commute. However as an employee living close to one's workplace, there can be the occasional detriments. The dreaded, 'We have a PROBLEM and need you to come in SINCE YOU LIVE CLOSE BY' call from the boss in the evening or during the weekend is a potential consequence of a short commute. You end up being the go-to person when perceived 'disasters' strike.

No updates from OP. Perhaps he or she is grazing in other pastures.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:

Right you are, especially if you own the business. There is absolutely nothing better as an owner than being able to stop in, at a moments notice or not, 24/7 without enduring a commute. However as an employee living close to one's workplace, there can be the occasional detriments. The dreaded, 'We have a PROBLEM and need you to come in SINCE YOU LIVE CLOSE BY' call from the boss in the evening or during the weekend is a potential consequence of a short commute. You end up being the go-to person when perceived 'disasters' strike.
Uh, easily solved by not telling your Manager where you live - none of their business.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:07 PM

27 posts, read 20,119 times
I'm happy to say I received (but have not yet accepted) the offer. I do thank everyone for the feedback. The people at the worksite were able to confirm that it is a reverse commute, with both Kailua and Honolulu and rarely do they encounter issues (usually only when there were traffic accidents). There was also debate among the interviewers whether Hawaii Kai is considered part of Honolulu or not. They kind of left it up in the air.

Obviously, living in town comes with the upside of a smaller commute, but it was important to weigh all of my options. I do plan to transport my car over. I'm single, but I prefer a quiet area over the nightlife. In fact, I will probably be studying for a certification for much of the first year over in Hawaii and I can't think of a better place to do it than the beaches.

I also have a bit of a thick Maryland accent, so I'm wondering how much of it will be noticeable to the locals and even the other mainlanders, lol.

One one-off question...Any thoughts on the condos near the Gateway to Waikiki, near Ala Moana? They tend to be relatively cheap and include utilities (but not parking, which is fine). Is that part of Waikiki generally safe? It appears from looking at the map, it is a straightforward shot to hop on the highway towards Hawaii Kai.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:50 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,827 times
Quote:
pj737 Wrote: 'Few things in life are as wonderful as a short commute to work.'

No updates from OP. Perhaps he or she is grazing in other pastures.
That's a strange perspective. I've been a manager with the same company with 70+ employees for over 15 years. And I have never once heard of a situation where an owner or manager would call someone in during off-hours to address a potential disaster just because they were conveniently close to the office. In an emergency, we contact the best person to address the situation - distance between home and work has never been a consideration. A short commute is pure bliss regardless of socioeconomic or employment status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu