Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:42 AM

287 posts, read 1,371,800 times

Advertisements

Why are we still adding to this thread?

Old 03-08-2010, 10:02 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,588,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHa View Post
Why are we still adding to this thread?

Cuz its here lol just had to say that

I just can't do the crowds

Old 03-08-2010, 07:19 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCalifornian View Post
Trust me, cockroaches are everywhere except in Germany and Japan where people are very serious with sanitation and waste disposal. You should check the company that picks up your garbage, then try to move into an area where this company doesn't work and where people put garbage in a garbage can.

I live in San Diego, same problem with roaches here.

Yup we have them in Texas

Old 03-09-2010, 02:13 PM

16 posts, read 36,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
AL = Alabama
AK = Alaska
AR = Arkansas

Happens all the time, no biggie. Like HI, AK frequently is referred to as a foreign country. Many think you need a passport. I think 50% of the U.S. Population under 40 thinks Alaska really is right next to Hawaii and smaller than the size of Texas since most Maps put Alaska in the bottom left.

Our Daughter's Doctor in Austin, TX claimes we used to live in a 3rd world country. I fired her right then and there. I can take that from someone who is not educated..... but a Doctor???

There are many stereotypes and myth's regarding Alaska, just like in Hawaii. I think because of these things Hawaiians and Alaskans tend to get along quite well, we can relate to one another being a bastard child of the USA. Things I am always asked are.

Do you Live in Igloos?
Do You Ride Dogsleds?
Do you see many Polar Bears?
So you see many Penguins?
Is it dark all the time?
Is it light all the time?
What do you do with all that money that state pays you to live there?
Can you really see Russia?
How do you live with snow year round?

There's tons and tons and tons of them. Silly people. Sorry I know this is off topic.
OMG, I live in Juneau and used to work downtown in the tourist area. I got soooo sick of those questions. They still make me laugh! lol

The only Igloo I've seen lately is my "dogloo" dog house outside in my backyard!

Old 07-15-2010, 11:27 PM

236 posts, read 648,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesia View Post
Marijuana is not a drug though. It's a plant that grows out of the Earth. Think about it objectively, or at least try to. There's no processing involved, it's just there, growing. No human created it, it was here before we arrived. If there is a God out there, why would such a thing like marijuana be placed here by God? Furthermore, if we cherish nature, why are we banning plants?

Drugs are things that are made up by people in labs, like aspirin, anti-depressants, and even meth. They're not natural, we have no real idea of what effects they have over generations, and you should keep that in mind if you ingest any of them. Some drugs aren't that bad, but things like anti-depressants have been shown to cause things equally as bad as meth. Yet they're still "ok" because they're legal.

Hawaii is a medical cannabis state. If you don't like pot smoke, you shouldn't move to Hawaii, as there will probably be patients and enthusiasts alike smoking.
I don't have a huge problem with weed, but your argument's a little iffy. Tobacco is also a natural plant, but it contains nicotine, one of the most addictive (and harmful) drugs on the planet. It may be slightly more processed, but even if it wasn't, it would still be harmful. (Marijuana contains the drug THS, which has been hugely increased through selective breeding. It is then cut, dried, rolled, smoked, etc. -- not necesarily foreseable or natural activities.) So are other natural, but poisonous plants like poison mushrooms, etc. God might trust us to analyze the effects of the various things growing on the planet, and act accordingly.

Anti-depressants are legal because, while they sometimes have negative side effects, they prevent many people from committing suicide, and allow them to lead productive lives. Ideally, people can/will find natural ways to avoid depression, but that's not always possible. Aspirin reduces pain, and has been shown to reduce the risk of heart attack in many people. Drugs, natural or man-made, can be either good or bad, depending on the specific drug, the amount of use, and the person's specific needs. (And yeah, I have no problem with terminal cancer patients consuming all the ganja they want, if they want to.)

I don't like to smoke anything, personally, because it's obviously bad for your lungs. Drinking some marijuana tea, or eating brownies, might not be so bad. As long as you do it in moderation, don't drive, etc. while under the influence, etc.

I will agree that if the culture of Hawaii is welcoming to marijuana, then visitors/newcomers should be tolerant of it. It appears crystal meth is a far greater problem.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
SouperStar34:

Maybe you didn't write this top ten list, but you certainly posted it! What was your purpose? As far as I'm concerned, you're trolling. I would never post a Top Ten worst things about living in Grand Rapids (or Chicago) if I'm not from there. This is my take on your list:

1.) We don't seem to mind coexisting with disgusting creatures such as cockroaches

2.) We live in dumps!

3.) We drive slow and need to be more aggressive and use our horns

4.) Us locals are a bunch of ice heads

5.) Your sister is not comfortable with people who are Asian, Polynesian, Micronesian and etc.

6.) no comment

7.) we just don't know how to drive, do we!

8.) doesn't Chicago have a lot of residents where English is not their first language...your comments are not unique to Hawaii. Didn't we call from a different place at one time

9.) yup we have a relaxed atmosphere...nothing wrong with that. It sure beats living in Chicago. When I read the chicago tribune online, I read about all of children 18 and younger being shot and stabbed on a weekly basis.

10.) we have to fly too

I really wish the mods would zap this thread. You might as well call me a:

- an uneducated, racist, lazy pineapple head

- who's addicted to ice (crystal meth)

- and doesn't know to drive

- and lives in a dump and sleeps with cockroaches

Scram braddah!!!!!!!!

I understand your resentment of someone criticizing your home, anyone would be bothered by that, but the purpose of this forum is to educate potential new residents. I assume you'd rather people who were bothered by such matters stay away anyway. Be happy that posts like this keep out those who wouldn't be able to appreciate the beauty of hawaii.

It's also pretty widely stated that many locals resent the whites and other non-local visitors/newcomers. This may not be you, but there must be some folks like that. Maybe in response to this comment, you could discuss the kind of behavior that triggers anti-outsider sentiment. That way, maybe everyone could get along better. Clearly, many people, like you and your haole friend, already do.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifer View Post
it also apparently impairs your ability to SPELL judgment...LEAVE OUT THE E. smoke a fatty and try again.

AND.. TO THOSE WHO INSIST ON USING RACIAL TERMS:

haole is a racial slur i don't care what you say. yeh they made excuses for saying ****** back in the day, too, and it was STILL a racial slur. wake up. this is the 21st century. no one wants to be called something associated with their skin colour. how about just calling your friends.. uh... friends and not haoles? that is so rude and shows your ignorance.

Judgement/judgment is actually spelled both ways, according to the dictionary.

I would tend to agree with the idea that calling someone by their skin color is fairly rude, and probably not very helpful for good relations. I understand the reason for it -- native islanders vs. initially colonial outsiders. If it's not said with anger or hatred, I assume I won't mind it. But I'm sure the native islanders wouldn't want to be called brown, yellow, or whatever either.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:25 AM

28 posts, read 51,391 times
Unfortunately people.... race will ALWAYS be an issue.... ALWAYS.... People will ALWAYS think they are better then someone else... They will make up something that glosses over the actual issue, which is skin color, economic background ect..... Humans cant just live together & be happy... seriously.. think bout that. We may WANT to but not EVERYONE does, so there will always be those that put a fork in the road. Just be proud of who you are, where you came from and dont take crap from those that arent interested in knowing you from the inside.....

Old 07-17-2010, 07:31 PM

81 posts, read 208,808 times
Things I dont like are traffic and overcrowded places like town. Ewa Beach is my speed, and the traffic aint that bad anymore. Racism is what it is, either coming from a donkey or directed at donkeys.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:58 AM

Wow, talk about mindless rants.

A few thoughts:

1. Learn to read. This is his sister's list, not his. And she has a right to her opinion.

2. I sincerely doubt you're truly white. You sound like a non-white racist. If you are white, you're clearly a self-hating individual with serious issues.

3. This is America. Hawaii is America. If you don't like it, leave.

4. Hawaii is a democracy, like the rest of the country. If they want to vote to ban tourism, they're welcome to do so. If they're unwilling to do so, they should be tolerant and accepting of tourism, and different idea.

5. Get a life, and learn to be tolerant and accepting of other people's opinions. Not everyone thinks like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine_haole View Post
A Haole's Response to SouperStar34 -

#1 - COCKROACHES - Hey Souper- you and your sista must have lived very sheltered lives! Have you ever seen the cockroaches in New York, Florida, Los Angeles - or Boston, even? they're as BIG as sanitation trucks! Stop whining and go get yourself a package of COMBAT -Roach Gel Bait! They eat it , bring it back to the nest and it kills the entire NEST! and possibly the whole condo building's bug problem too. You'll never see another bug! OR go call an exterminator and bomb the place.

#2 Price of Average Home! -How do you think the Native Hawaiians feel, Brah? you and your greedy friends heard Oprah say "Buy property in Hawaii"! and BIG ASS Donald Trump came into town to build a condo and lo-and-behold the real estate market jacked up 2000% in two years. All greedy speculators who thought they'd exploit the system and buy investments, without regard to how that was going to effect the local economy (locals). Only it backfired because the sharks (the mortgage brokers and few unscrupulous realtors) ate you alive! with those ARMs. So what do you think it did to the poor people who have been living here for generations!?? the Rentors got kicked out by the greedy landlords who jacked up the rents 700%. Hard-working families ended up living in tents on the beaches! So STOP your petty whining!

#3) Drivers - Well STATISTICALLY -all the bad drivers are from the MAINLAND! Brah! Ever hear of the movie "Snakes on the Plane"? Well, Hawaii, should make a movie called "Nuts On The Bus" ... because they are without exception -ALL HOALES from the mainland! I personally did an impact study. It is also statistically proven that OTHER cities provide their homeless, airline tickets to any destination they want in order to get them off their welfare systems. They almost ALWAYS choose Hawaii, or Florida. In addition - 85% of all the (OBVIOUS) beggers, pandhandlers and homeless you see in downtown honolulu, and Waikiki -are hoales FROM THE MAINLAND! And I say OBVIOUS because they want the pity of those around them (in order to stay on their lazy butts and beg). There are HUNDREDS of social service agencies to help them, but they refuse help because that might mean they might have to work or give up their alcohol. (I've worked in regional planning, non-profits and in homeless programs for years! so I know what I'm talking about). However, The culture here does not allow begging, handouts, etc. Nor rude driving! Nor rude behavior! Be they Hawaiian, Japanese, Chinese- the predominant cultures! IT'S NOT in their work-ethic to BEG, take welfare. It is NOT in their culture to be RUDE! so if the shoe fits, brah! I'm white and I'm ashamed of the behavior I see first hand (by my own nationals) and what we've done here! I'm ashamed EVERY time I see a rude UP-TIGHT mainlander rushing around making jerks of themselves. Then JUST LIKE YOU... they cry "whoa is me, everybody's racist here"! Give me a break!
#4) Drugs... oooh! Lions & Tigers & Bears! WHAT PLANET are you from? Every city AND every small PODUNK TOWN in the USA has HUGE drug problems! Maybe we should elect former Mayor Juliani or get National Guard in here to come in here to clean up the Marijuana problem! ICE IS EVERYWHERE - in EVERY CITY! Yes, the Leeward Coast has it's share of bad crack problem. But it's ABSOLUTELY lower than any other cities in USA. If you want to hide from the crack & marijuana problem Go FIND A nice RUBBER ROOM to live in! If you teach your kids good values, and are an interactive parent then your kids WON'T TAKE DRUGS! no matter what is offered them! It all starts with YOU. Take some personal responsibility.

#5) THIS ONE KILLS ME- RACISM! As a haole, I have lived and worked here for over 12 years - and have NEVER ONCE EXPERIENCED RACISM! What I HAVE witnessed is the locals responding to RUDENESS, STUPIDITY, ARROGANCE! GET A GRIP! WE STOLE THEIR LAND! READ SOME HISTORY! So instead of acting self-righteous and arrogant -because you're a fat-ass "accommodate me" AMERICAN! Learn the culture that you now live in - WHICH IS ALL ABOUT RESPECT AND HUMILITY! and about boundaries (as in don't rush other people because you're in a hurry -through your own fault.)

#6 Commercials - I'm not even going to answer this one....

#7 Traffic - If you can't take the traffic... stay off the road! Stop joyriding in your little beamer to take your brats to private school- and let people who need the road to get to work -who actually WORK for a living - the right of way on roadway. YES, in Hawaii, WE ARE COURTEOUS DRIVERS HERE! WE LET PEOPLE ON-AND OFF THE OFF RAMPS! WE WAVE THANK YOU! WE ARE POLITE HUMAN BEINGS! If you don't like it here go live in Los Angeles, Boston, New York, or Newark NJ - where' THEY'LL PULL A GUN AND BLOW YOUR HEAD OFF for cutting them out! GET REAL! ! Oh my God, What planet are you from?????

#8 Language Barrier! YOU'RE in a MULTI-CULTURED Society! You self-centered, self absorbed, ego-centric. If you had any desire to fit in at all you would at least make an attempt to Learn the LANGUAGE! and the Culture. Because SouperStar34 has arrive do you think EVERYONE is going to start speaking YOUR DIALECT? Just for you? Get a LIFE! Your ignorance is far greater than your arrogance. Go get yourself a Hawaiian Dictionary! And maybe a Japanese, Hawaian, Korean one too!

#9 -Relaxed At mosphere - Are you joking? Take a deep breath, relax and repeat after me, " I am not anal and uptight, I am not anal and uptight". Maybe after a strong laxative, you'll feel better.

#10 -Island Fever - Good Riddance! ! ! Yo'll come back now! Hear?

To all my fellow Hawaii neighbors - I am deeply grateful for your gracious hospitality in welcoming me to your home and land.

For newcomers who have not yet learned the Aloha Spirit, please continue to TOLERATE their rudeness, their arrogance, their exploitation, and attempts to infringe on your culture by forcing theirs. However, when the Aloha Spirit, catches their hearts - it will change them forever into loving, caring friends and neighbors - Once Aloha gets them, there is no turning back! You lead by your loving example! I am humbled and so lucky to live in this wonderful land. Mahalo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu