Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 10:40 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,762 times

Advertisements

restaurants trying to get rid of their inventory. A lot of steakhouses are dumping raw product on their customers for cheap or doing cheap takeouts. Many restaurants will shutter their doors and not come back. I have a pretty decent look into the industry, and it's pretty scary.

Amazing that naive people think restaurants can survive doing takeout only for locals only. The only reason they're doing this is to get rid of product and try to keep their core staff intact. Unless the owner is doing the majority of the work for $0, they're losing even more money doing takeout than if they shutdown completely. Its the reason why so many restaurants attempted takeout for a week, and are now shutdown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 11:30 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Remember Coco's just outside of Waikiki near the Ala Wai Canal? We used to go there for happy hour. Really good free pupus. Well drinks were around 50 cents. Their steaks were not memorable though.
Coco's I was lukewarm on, I've always been a Zippy's buy, but two I do miss are The Rigger and Yum Yum Tree (Kahala Mall).

The Rigger was a burger spot from the Jolly Roger chain and right next to McInerney's on Kalakaua. Not only did they have great burgers and shakes, but an ice cream sundae called "the Big Buc" and the kid's menu was a paper pirate mask.

Old 03-26-2020, 01:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Getting us back to best steakhouses -

Morton's has a special to go menu with reduced prices - they also run occasional specials (today is $1 filet specials from 3-6pm). The steaks can be cooked by Morton's or you can cook at home. Bottles of wine are 50% off. During the week they open at Noon - weekends at 3pm

Old 03-27-2020, 12:26 PM

Today at Mortons you can buy 4 six oz filets to cook at home for $55 or 2 eight oz for $25. Way cheaper than buying prime meats at Costco.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:54 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Today at Mortons you can buy 4 six oz filets to cook at home for $55 or 2 eight oz for $25. Way cheaper than buying prime meats at Costco.
Have you tried these yourself? I've cooked steaks before but in a pan, didn't turn out too good. I like mine well done. Do you cook these in the oven? I just want something simple that I can't mess up. Also where do you get these specials? I went to their website but couldn't find them. Do I have to ask?

Old 03-27-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Have you tried these yourself? I've cooked steaks before but in a pan, didn't turn out too good. I like mine well done. Do you cook these in the oven? I just want something simple that I can't mess up. Also where do you get these specials? I went to their website but couldn't find them. Do I have to ask?
You need to be a Landry's Select Member to get the email for the special - you don't need to be a member to order - I joined at Morton's years ago, you can also join online. Think of it like a airline loyalty club - you accrue points for discounts. I get these specials via email.

If you do get the steaks - and the specials change daily - you need to call. They don't let you in the restaurant - and some things they run out of - yesterdays special sold out before the promo time. You then drive up to the restaurant - I think one or more delivery services also deliver if you are nearby. In my experience, they get very busy at prime times, like between 4:30-6:00, it is hard to get them on the phone at that time.

Here is link for the take out menu but doesn't list the daily special

https://www.mortons.com/featuring/to-go-menu/

As far as cooking. If you aren't skilled at using a cast iron skillet or broiling a steak (most people aren't) - then grilling is usually the easiest. Make sure you have an instant read thermometer - you'll want the steak in the 155-160 degree mark for well done. Let it rest for 5 minutes after you take it off of the grill. For a gas grill, keep the cover closed - 6-8 minutes a side, check the temperature. I generally put olive oil on each side to it doesn't stick to the grill - and don't forget a lot of seasoning (salt and pepper)

Old 03-27-2020, 03:58 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You need to be a Landry's Select Member to get the email for the special - you don't need to be a member to order - I joined at Morton's years ago, you can also join online. Think of it like a airline loyalty club - you accrue points for discounts. I get these specials via email.

If you do get the steaks - and the specials change daily - you need to call. They don't let you in the restaurant - and some things they run out of - yesterdays special sold out before the promo time. You then drive up to the restaurant - I think one or more delivery services also deliver if you are nearby. In my experience, they get very busy at prime times, like between 4:30-6:00, it is hard to get them on the phone at that time.

Here is link for the take out menu but doesn't list the daily special

https://www.mortons.com/featuring/to-go-menu/

As far as cooking. If you aren't skilled at using a cast iron skillet or broiling a steak (most people aren't) - then grilling is usually the easiest. Make sure you have an instant read thermometer - you'll want the steak in the 155-160 degree mark for well done. Let it rest for 5 minutes after you take it off of the grill. For a gas grill, keep the cover closed - 6-8 minutes a side, check the temperature. I generally put olive oil on each side to it doesn't stick to the grill - and don't forget a lot of seasoning (salt and pepper)
Unfortunately I don't have a grill, just a stove and oven, and there's no way I'm cooking it on my stove based on my past bad experiences. Looks like this isn't for me, even though it seems like a good deal. Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:58 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
You could practice on lesser cuts of meat although they will likely have less fat and not be as tasty. Cooking steak in a cast iron pan works a treat, actually. It gets more of the tasty seared spots on the meat more so than a grill does. Heat up the pan pretty hot before you put in the meat. You want it seared more so than slowly cooked.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:38 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Unfortunately I don't have a grill, just a stove and oven, and there's no way I'm cooking it on my stove based on my past bad experiences. Looks like this isn't for me, even though it seems like a good deal. Thanks for the info, appreciate it.
If you have an oven, don't you have a broiler in the oven?

Old 03-28-2020, 09:24 AM

959 posts, read 1,215,865 times
If you want awesome home cooked steaks every time, buy a sous vide. I’ve been using one for a couple years and it is great. You completely control the interior cooking temperature for a perfect steak (or any meat). After cooking, just sear or broil the outside for a moment.

You’ll never go back to any other way of cooking meat at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu