Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2019, 08:28 AM

32 posts, read 50,362 times

Advertisements

I've read books, articles and of course all of the good advice on this site about people leaving after a year or two. I did it myself as a much younger man but left for wanderlust reasons. I'm planning for retirement now, with a wife, no young kids, no career (maybe hobby job) and not buying a home on Oahu. I picked $100K as passive income to cover rent, car and all other living expenses with no debt. After looking at some Mililani rents, 3/2 in the $2500-$3,000 range, I wonder if even the retirees feel the pinch too and leave? I realize that it's not as risky for a retiree since they should have options and some $.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 11:12 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,665,045 times
It's not just the costing of housing that makes people move. Most of our older friends leave because either (1) they want to live closer to the grandkids, or (2) they develop major health issues that require good health care.

Not all retirees have some $$$ these days. My husband and I were lucky enough to have good pensions, but many people don't. We've seen people take early Social Security and try to live off of that as their only source of income.

Do you have to be on Oahu? Housing is much more affordable on the Big Island.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:57 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
Has your wanderlust lessened over the years? It's pretty expensive to base in Hawaii and wander around the rest of the planet very much since every time you want to go somewhere it's like taking a Hawaiian vacation except in reverse. Most folks who live in Hawaii track airline miles, programs and specials pretty carefully.

Health care is improving, but I'm not sure how it compares to mainland medicine. I know some of my relatives are living on the mainland due to needing better health care than is available here, although they need some pretty advanced and specialized care. Another friend who lives here, though, is staying here even though she would perhaps get better healthcare on the mainland. All of her friends are here and she doesn't want to leave them.

The retirees would hopefully have a slightly better chance of sticking around since they'd not need to find a job equivalent to their mainland job. Some folks have their grandkids visit for the summers although it gets a bit more complicated around holiday season if the grandparents are here and the grandkids there.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:44 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,504 times
a retiree with a paid off house and $100k income wont have issues. Your money may go a lot further in other locations, so youd just need to weight the cost benefits of living here, like anywhere else.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:52 PM

62 posts, read 84,672 times
Its more than just worrying about money. The last few mainlander transplants I know, who left Hawaii, did it for multiple reasons:

- not adjusting well to the politics/culture (mainlanders not always welcomed in community)

- rock fever (can’t easily travel to other states) and family too far away

- population density too high and too much traffic. (even in Mililani)

- limited entertainment options

There are decent books on moving to Hawaii. Most of this is covered in detail.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:10 AM

32 posts, read 50,362 times
Although I've been to the other Islands, I'm an Oahu guy at heart, especially with the waves. Currently, while still working full time, I'm spending a month there amongst 2 annual trips (1 family and 1 Dad only trip). I'll probably be a Snowbird and travel to a few other places? I'm over NJ, been here 44 of 51 years and could almost spend a month here and go back somewhere else. Thanks

Old 08-19-2019, 12:54 PM

54 posts, read 41,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HostelDweller View Post
I've read books, articles and of course all of the good advice on this site about people leaving after a year or two. I did it myself as a much younger man but left for wanderlust reasons. I'm planning for retirement now, with a wife, no young kids, no career (maybe hobby job) and not buying a home on Oahu. I picked $100K as passive income to cover rent, car and all other living expenses with no debt. After looking at some Mililani rents, 3/2 in the $2500-$3,000 range, I wonder if even the retirees feel the pinch too and leave? I realize that it's not as risky for a retiree since they should have options and some $.

I agree that it probably isn't as risky for those with a solid retirement income, but most of the other challenges will still be there. I think it is important to consider everything, and be as realistic as possible. It sounds like you're doing that. Oahu is certainly a brave choice COL wise.

I wonder if developing wanderlust might depend on how much you've traveled in your lifetime, and how much you end up embracing island living, and settling down a bit?

One thing I can't recall if I read on these forums, or elsewhere is how important it is for couples to be on the same page about where they are relocating to (especially an archipelago). Often times one person becomes unhappy with the relocation, and the partner is forced to leave to maintain the relationship.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:45 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,094 times
I have lived on Oahu and moved on to the Mainland due to Military service, but came back on Orders, for a combined 35 Years. This is home now, my family is here. The last 15 years I have worked at the Ship yard. I did not feel as a outsider at any time I have lived here. As retirement gets closer. I did think I wanted to move back to the mainland, but it will cost a lot to move. So I will probably stay here at retirement . Just trying to be debit free when the time comes. My wife and I have Retirement pensions so it helps. We still have to budget.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:57 PM

206 posts, read 186,422 times
If that's 100k/year you'll be fine pretty much anywhere, although I would pick someplace else besides Millilani.

Manoa and east would be a better location.

If that's 100k total saved up, then that's a much different story.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:39 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
And if you do come here and die - it is the most expensive place in the US to die.....

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features...ive-states-die
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu