Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 12:35 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Actually, HPA is one of the best private schools in Hawai'i.
What is HPA? And why use an acronym instead of typing the name?

Edit: Never mind, I found it: Hawaii Preparatory Academy on the Big Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 01:43 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Actually, HPA is one of the best private schools in Hawai'i.
They seem decently ranked online - but they are definitely challenged pushing out National Merit Semifinalists and well behind Iolani and Punahou

Old 05-03-2021, 02:10 PM

344 posts, read 250,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
They seem decently ranked online - but they are definitely challenged pushing out National Merit Semifinalists and well behind Iolani and Punahou
That seems a pretty useless measure of a school's quality. It is based on a single standardized test (PSAT), that a lot of students don't care that much about. The only real thing they are useful for is to get some merit scholarship money at less competitive schools.

Most people sending their kids to HPA, or similar schools are not worried about merit scholarships.

I have no idea if HPA is competitive with the Oahu schools you mention, but NMSQT scores is a pretty poor way to assess that.

Old 05-03-2021, 02:21 PM

451 posts, read 411,637 times
Quote:
The point was that you indicated that neighbor schools don't come close to competing with Oahu private schools. This is simply incorrect. In relative terms of endowment, faculty and notable graduates, HPA is exceptional. IMHO, it exceeds Iolani. Of course, once must pay for that exceptionalism, the yearly tuition
at HPA is probably the highest in the state.

Old 05-03-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
The point was that you indicated that neighbor schools don't come close to competing with Oahu private schools. This is simply incorrect.
By what metric? If you don't like National Merit Semifinalists - which one then?

Old 05-03-2021, 03:47 PM

451 posts, read 411,637 times
Quote:
By what metric? If you don't like National Merit Semifinalists - which one then?
I am not going to school you (pardon the pun) on how NMS's are selected. You can look it up, however you should ask yourself the question if comparing the number of NMS's at a school with a student population of Punahou versus HPA's is valid metric.

A better 'metric' would be asking your well educated kama'aina neighbors or other associates. I am pretty certain you will learn that everyone knows Hawai'i Preparatory Academy in Kamuela as being one of the best private schools in Hawai'i, and has relatives or friends whose children attended.

I am rather surprised you appeared completely oblivious to HPA's existence. It's very well known here in Hawai'i.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:

A better 'metric' would be asking your well educated kama'aina neighbors or other associates. I am pretty certain you will learn that everyone knows Hawai'i Preparatory Academy in Kamuela as being one of the best private schools in Hawai'i, and has relatives or friends whose children attended.

I am rather surprised you appeared completely oblivious to HPA's existence. It's very well known here in Hawai'i.
I live on Oahu - people on Oahu are going to send their kids to the best on Oahu or the Mainland. HPA is not in their radar.

But you'd think if they were so highly educated at HPA they'd at least kick out more national merit scholars.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:13 PM

30,613 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Personally, I would use SAT/ACT scores vs. how many national merit scholars an institution has to determine which school is "better." In this regard, Punahou outperforms HPA, and pretty significantly: https://www.punahou.edu/list-detail?pk=157485 vs. https://www.boardingschoolreview.com...cademy-profile

If I had the money to send my kid to Punahou or HPA, however, I'm not sure which school I'd choose. There are pluses and minuses of each, IMO.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:12 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Personally, I would use SAT/ACT scores vs. how many national merit scholars an institution has to determine which school is "better." In this regard, Punahou outperforms HPA, and pretty significantly: https://www.punahou.edu/list-detail?pk=157485 vs. https://www.boardingschoolreview.com...cademy-profile

If I had the money to send my kid to Punahou or HPA, however, I'm not sure which school I'd choose. There are pluses and minuses of each, IMO.
There are more students in Punahou than the other private schools. So it is not surprising that there are more national merit scholars in Punahou.

More often I look at the students' admission into top universities (Ivy + MIT + CIT + Stanford) divided by the number of graduating seniors. The higher percentage the better the school is. In Mainland, some schools have 40-50% of their senior class going into these top universities. In Hawaii's private schools, usually 10-20%, some less.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post

More often I look at the students' admission into top universities (Ivy + MIT + CIT + Stanford) divided by the number of graduating seniors. The higher percentage the better the school is. In Mainland, some schools have 40-50% of their senior class going into these top universities. In Hawaii's private schools, usually 10-20%, some less.
For the last year I see published numbers, 2017-18 - a very healthy number of students do attend Ivy League schools (18 to Harvard, 17 to Cornell, etc) as well as 11 at MIT and and 23 at Stanford - not surprising, many stay local at UH (likely many on scholarship) but also very West Coast leaning and other top schools like Cal Poly and other top University of California schools. The West Coast lean shouldn't be surprising given our location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu