Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 12:28 PM

29 posts, read 129,936 times

Advertisements

I made it!

I arrived on 11/20 and I'm happy to report everything is pretty great so far. Just as I suspected, Oahu is hugely different from St. Louis. It's difficult to start from scratch, but my fiancee and I are chugging right along. D found a great place for us to live in Ewa Beach, just steps away from the beach where we can see Diamond Head and Honolulu (I think?) off in the distance. Immediate impressions:
-The planes flying overhead could be a little tedious if you're not used to noise. (I'm from the city, so noise doesn't bother me so much.)
-The sushi is fantastic!! And cheap!! I wish I could remember the name of the place... It's close though, so I'm sure I will eat there once a week.
-Aside from one guard at the airport, everyone we've encountered has been really nice. No "stink eye" to report. In the airport guard's defense, I was lost looking for the Animal Quarantine Station looking for my cat.
-The weather is absolutely stunning. When I left St. Louis, it was about 30 degrees... yuck.
-Traffic is god-awful. We've learned to stay off the roads between about 3pm and 7pm if we can help it!

I'm sure there's more I'm leaving out, but there you have it! Thanks to everyone who replied to my other posts, http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...-browsing.html and This Should Be Fun: Recipes.

Last edited by NoMoreSTL; 11-26-2008 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 01:20 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,518,058 times
Welcome to the Islands! I'm glad to hear that things are going well for you folks.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:21 PM

156 posts, read 805,905 times
Thanks for report! Keep us updated!

Old 11-26-2008, 01:29 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,421 times
E komo mai! I remember your earlier posts and I think I DM'ed you from Maui. Glad everything is working out -- I knew you'd be fine. Oahu is beautiful! Do get over to the North Shore this winter -- it's amazing when there's big surf. Explore, enjoy, and keep posting!

Old 11-26-2008, 02:05 PM

100 posts, read 335,475 times
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I am really envying you right now lol. I am still in St Louis, waiting to move from here in a couple weeks! But we are only going to Texas right now until January when we'll be on our way to the Big Island! I'm glad to hear ya got there and are doing good! Can't wait to read more as you get settled..and join ya in the islands VERY SOON! :-)

Old 11-26-2008, 02:05 PM

5 posts, read 17,193 times
Quick question NoMoreSTL - I am moving there in March and I have a cat.... I have carefully followed all steps to ensure my cat will be directly released to me. How was your experience with that (other than getting lost - haha). Any problems? Any suggestions?

Mahalo from Okalani07

Old 11-26-2008, 02:24 PM

My vet was great in helping me to get Bug all ready for the trip. He qualified for direct airport release, but because my flight arrived at HNL after Quarantine hours (8a-8p I believe), he had to stay at the airport quarantine station overnight. That was a bummer, but I had absolutely no trouble picking him up the next day.

He did relatively well- I highly recommend getting some sedatives from your veterinarian if your cat is at all a nervous one. Bug is an extremely high-strung and sensitive cat and the pill I gave him let him doze through the flights. I kinda wish I had a sedative myself... 10-11 hours in the air is no fun!

One major warning: When I was booking my flights and booking Bug's reservations on the planes (planes can only have a certain number of animals on them at once, so you'll want to let the airline know as soon as you book your flight that there will be an animal traveling with you), I was told by both American and Hawaiian (the two airlines I flew) that Bug could ride on the plane in the main cabin with me in a soft-sided carrier under the seat where a carry-on would normally go.

That was TRUE on American and they charge $100 for an animal in the main cabin. Upon arrival to my gate at LAX, I found out that contrary to what a Hawaiian rep had told me over the phone, Bug could NOT ride in the main cabin and he had to have a different kind of crate. After a few stress and panic-induced choice words with the poor gate attendant lady, I was able to purchase ($75) a new hard crate for Bug from another airline (Northwest) and check him for the cargo area. Overall, the Hawaiian representative I spoke to over the phone said Bug could ride with me in the main cabin on the plane (FALSE) for a $75 fee (FALSE). In reality, I shelled out $75 for a new carrier I don't need and a $225 fee (!!!!) for him to ride in cargo - $225 more than I had planned on spending.

Lesson learned: Expect the unexpected, double your airport budget, and don't be afraid to call the airline half a dozen times to confirm what someone else at the airline had told you. Also, write down the reps' names and any confirmation numbers so you can make a claim. I wrote names and conf. #'s down every time I spoke to someone, so I expect to be compensated in part for the misinformation I received. I'll let you all know how that goes as well.

**Aside from the Bug debacle at the gate, the Hawaiian flight was the nicest flight I've ever been on! The food was great, the plane was new and clean, and the staff were extremely accommodating and pleasant.**

Last edited by NoMoreSTL; 11-26-2008 at 03:36 PM..

Old 11-27-2008, 10:38 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,767 times
are you referring to "genki sushi"? over there in 'ewa?

Old 11-28-2008, 01:43 AM

Default soosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
are you referring to "genki sushi"? over there in 'ewa?
That could be it... Not sure though. If that WAS it and you're about to tell me they're terrible, go easy on my midwest tastebuds- that was the best sushi I've had in a looooonnnng-long time!

*Missing fried catfish and cornbread already now that we talk about this...*

Old 11-28-2008, 10:35 AM

5 posts, read 17,193 times
Mahalo for sharing your experience with me NoMoreSTL... I have done my homework and have all my i's dotted and t's crossed.... Just wanted to make sure "yes" they will direct release the animals..

Enjoy your new island life...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: