Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 05:56 PM

4 posts, read 38,449 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Oahu next month and need help on safe apts to live. I need to be within 5-10 minutes of Aiea. After researching I have found there seem to be a lot of living options in Pearl City, and Salt Lake. Any suggestions??? Nice, safe apt buildings?

Also, is the traffic any better driving away from the City in the morning and back toward in the evening, or is it bad in all directions during rush hour?

I am moving and don't know a single person! I do however have a job. I know I am not the only person who has done this so if anyone who has been, or is going, through this, a little moral support?! Excited, but nervous as heck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 07:24 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,920 times
As with anything you need to actually see a place before you decide to rent/buy. Aiea/Pearl City/Salt Lake all have some really lovely buildings as well as those that I would not enter if someone paid me to. It really depends upon the particular building, so do yourself a favor and take a couple of days to actually physically visit the places before you decide on a place.

Traffic is bad coming and going- but if you are working fairly close to your residence you can cut down on the pain significantly! Good luck to you- it is never easy to move when you do not know anyone- but since you have a job you are far ahead of a lot of people who decide to move here without one!

Old 04-23-2009, 11:58 AM

How about the Highlander? Or Pearlridge apts.?

Old 04-23-2009, 03:28 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,517,191 times
Welcome Onawhim! What's you budget for this apartment?

Old 04-25-2009, 10:58 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onawhim View Post
I am moving to Oahu next month and need help on safe apts to live. I need to be within 5-10 minutes of Aiea. After researching I have found there seem to be a lot of living options in Pearl City, and Salt Lake. Any suggestions??? Nice, safe apt buildings?

Also, is the traffic any better driving away from the City in the morning and back toward in the evening, or is it bad in all directions during rush hour?

I am moving and don't know a single person! I do however have a job. I know I am not the only person who has done this so if anyone who has been, or is going, through this, a little moral support?! Excited, but nervous as heck!
On the H-1 freeway, which runs through Aiea, the traffic is definitely worse going toward Honolulu in the morning and away, in the afternoon.

Here is a site where you can actually watch the traffic in various locations. Aiea is shown on the top map:

Oahu Traffic Conditions, Official Web Site for The City and County of Honolulu

Old 04-28-2009, 08:38 PM

I would like to keep it under $1400.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:16 AM

17 posts, read 65,744 times
My husband and I lived in the Pearl Regency in Aiea. It was a great apartment. Although, make sure you have enough parking because you can't park near the complex very easily. My husband and I lived there about 3 years ago and a one-bedroom ran us around 1250. It was nice, but no granite or anything. We also lived in a three bedroom townhouse in Pearl City, no problems with anything in that area. Price was around 1750 per month and that was last year. Good luck!

Old 05-03-2009, 01:44 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times
Get over there at least 1 week, if not 2 or 3 weeks early (before you start your job).
Go through a site like vrbo.com and rent a studio vacation rental. This will allow you to concentrate on getting your bearings and finding a suitable place to live.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:24 AM

We ended up renting a hotel room in the hopes of finding an apartment right away...big mistake. I called and asked for appointments to see some furnished places and everyone told me that we would have to wait until I was over here. Well, when I got over here I could not see some of the units b/c the rental company employees were too busy. It was not an ideal situation. Anyway, I ended up on Koauka loop. If anyone is considering relocating to the Aiea/Pearl City area, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the highrises on the loop. I am very happy with the apartment I got and am happy to not face the highway so I can enjoy my lanai!!! If you don't mind the noise of the traffic on the highway, the golf course on the other side of H1 is BEAUTIFUL!

Old 05-22-2009, 01:41 AM

116 posts, read 397,378 times
Default Welcome

I hope your time in Hawaii will be more pleasant than frustrating. I always feel so bad when I hear people having a terrible time here. The area you chose is pretty good. Can get a little busy being so close to Pearlridge Shopping Center, but Pearl City is a pretty good area in terms of convenience to the rest of the island. I swear it's like 20 minutes to downtown from Pearl City during rush hour versus 45 minutes to downtown from Mililani/Waikele (Central and West Oahu).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu