Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 11:58 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
What source is that? I've always been under the impression that home ownership, at least in Oahu, was extremely high, there doesn't seem to be that many rental properties.
It seems like Hawaii is on a different housing market than the mainland. But, was Hawaii once affordable?

Like, say, 10-20 years ago, back when most places on the mainland were?

If it was, than perhaps quite a few people bought their houses back then, and just holding on to them, and keeping them within the family?

That's pure speculation though, I haven't seen any data whatsoever. But I can't imagine people would be able to afford half a million house on Honolulu wages very easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 12:02 AM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,643 times
Quote:
What source is that? I've always been under the impression that home ownership, at least in Oahu, was extremely high, there doesn't seem to be that many rental properties.
Over my years of living here I've heard about it either on the TV news or the paper. Ever since I bought my first place about 10 years ago I've paid attention to real estate trends in Hawaii. However, if you're asking for a specific newscast date or newspaper article I don't remember that.

I also found this website with demographic data regarding all 50 states. It's helpful if you're thinking about moving to another area.

State and County QuickFacts

If you look at Hawaii compared to the rest of the US you'll see that the homeownership rate is lower and the housing units in multi-unit structures (eg. apartments, condos) is much higher. I don't see anything about rentals though. Look at the median value of owner occupied housing units ($521,500 vs.$185,400), it's just insane compared to the rest of the US.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:58 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
And yet median salary is about the same as the mainland. Is it any wonder when our main industry is tourism, and the wealth that comes to Hawaii from tourism ends up in enriching the wealthy few, many of whom don't even live here? Just because you aren't cutting cane doesn't mean you aren't working on a plantation.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:21 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Look at the median value of owner occupied housing units ($521,500 vs.$185,400), it's just insane compared to the rest of the US.
I just found a graph that has 1998-2008 averages:

From this website: Oahu Home Sales - By Hawaii's High-Tech Real Estate Agent - Jon S. Mann, REALTOR, LLC

Looks like it's starting to go down again (if it's now $521,500), but still quite high.

One thing about Oahu though, is it seems even if the market goes down on the Mainland, it just means that Asia investors often times get into the market.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:30 AM

Jeez... $297k to $624k in 10 years. Great for the people who bought low and sold high.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:33 AM

I don't understand why people buy condos. Yes, they're cheaper, but you pay insane maintenance costs. So instead of being an investment, you're throwing your money away just like when you rent.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:46 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It seems like Hawaii is on a different housing market than the mainland. But, was Hawaii once affordable?

Like, say, 10-20 years ago, back when most places on the mainland were?

If it was, than perhaps quite a few people bought their houses back then, and just holding on to them, and keeping them within the family?
Housing in Hawaii is always more affordable yesterday. Friends from the mainland thought I was crazy to pay almost $35,000 for a one bedroom Diamond Head condo in 1978. They could buy 3beds/2bath single family for less. Now my property is worth over $400,000 and their SFH are less than $200,000.

That $35,000 WAS expensive then, otherwise I'd bought a couple of 'em. TODAY is the good ole days 10-20 years from now.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Housing in Hawaii is always more affordable yesterday. Friends from the mainland thought I was crazy to pay almost $35,000 for a one bedroom Diamond Head condo in 1978. They could buy 3beds/2bath single family for less. Now my property is worth over $400,000 and their SFH are less than $200,000.

That $35,000 WAS expensive then, otherwise I'd bought a couple of 'em. TODAY is the good ole days 10-20 years from now.
How much did you pay in maintenance fees over the years though?

Old 11-14-2011, 01:31 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I don't understand why people buy condos. Yes, they're cheaper, but you pay insane maintenance costs. So instead of being an investment, you're throwing your money away just like when you rent.
What do you consider an "insane" maintenance cost? Not everybody wants to cut their own grass, cut/plant flowers, clean the pool, patch the roof, maintain the bbq area - and a lot of HOA fees include basic cable or more, water, trash - some, like mine - include phone and internet.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:01 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
What do you consider an "insane" maintenance cost? Not everybody wants to cut their own grass, cut/plant flowers, clean the pool, patch the roof, maintain the bbq area - and a lot of HOA fees include basic cable or more, water, trash - some, like mine - include phone and internet.
Here is an example I just pulled off a listing for a condo in Hawaii.
"Maintenance Fee Includes: Insurance, Cable TV, Electricity, Water, Sewer, Trash, Landscaping and Maintenance of all common areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: