Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 01:54 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,511 times

Advertisements

Yes - 90 days between shots and recomend waiting 2 prefered three weeks between for the antigens to build up in blood. If you do it before that time period I guess you can fail the .5 level needed in the blood. Told if took test now it would take 2 to 4 weeks to get results, if failed would have to do it again! Would be out even further.... Dam wish I would have known that!! Kinda blows my idea leaving by Dec 1st...

I am leaving tomarrow for Alaska so now I have to find a vet up there to do the test for me!!

Has anyone released in Kona? haven't found the price of indepenant contractor that releases the dog... ? or flown with a dog at now looks like Christmas time period? Is it just as easy in that time frame to get a dog into cargo???

Hint I also was following the brochure from Hawaii - didn't realize that Kona web site-- has another fee - paperwork in 30 days not 10 days ahead.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 09:47 AM

7 posts, read 60,761 times
Thank you all for your advice, it's greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the info on the toads and the rent deposit...I was not aware of either one. I've been looking through Craig's List along with a website provided by the Air Force (I'm in the Air Force, and will be working at Hickam)...the selection is limited for those allowing pets, so I'm still on the lookout and plan to secure something soon for my arrival.

I've made an appointment with the local vet here in Germany (where I currently live...I know, I have a long trip ahead of me!!) and she has been helpful in getting Casey and I spun up for the trip. She is aware of the entry requirements and seems to be pretty savvy on the subject.

The only problem I think I may have is that I have some training en route to Hickam...so I've considered shipping Casey to Oahu upon my departure from Germany, and while I attend my training (about 3-4 weeks in NJ), she can arrive Hawaii and be kenneled until I arrive there. Amellison, how did you ship you lab? On the airplane with you on your arrival, or separately?

KonaKat, any recommendations on pet friendly rentals?? I noticed you're a real estate agent...I'd like to get a house, duplex, or something with a garage and fenced yard if possible.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:11 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Has anyone released in Kona? haven't found the price of indepenant contractor that releases the dog... ? or flown with a dog at now looks like Christmas time period? Is it just as easy in that time frame to get a dog into cargo???

Hint I also was following the brochure from Hawaii - didn't realize that Kona web site-- has another fee - paperwork in 30 days not 10 days ahead.....
The neighboring island release is handled by a private vets approved by HDoA. If you call quarantine they will give you the contact information for the service handling the island your going to. You will need to time your arrival to their availability. They are not state employees so they have private practices that may require them to do the pet release at certain times. Also make sure you find out if they require anything special especially if their service is coordinated through a specific airline.

Christmas/new Year is a heavy travel period and can cause scheduling problems since airlines could already have pets booked. I would not wait until too long to book for the holiday season.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,230 times
Hi I'm moving to Oahu Hawaii. I have a dog and wanted to know how your trip went? Did your vet help with everything? How long was your dog held in quarantine? Did you get a military discount?

My husband is in the Army.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:36 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Vee View Post
Hi I'm moving to Oahu Hawaii. I have a dog and wanted to know how your trip went? Did your vet help with everything? How long was your dog held in quarantine? Did you get a military discount?

My husband is in the Army.
Cmon op - we know you haven't posted in 3 years but we'd love an update!

Mrs Vee - poster hasn't been here in 3 years.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:52 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Do a Search here on Quarantine and you'll pull up several recent threads on the whole process. It takes about 5 months start to finish, so it's important to get started early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu