Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 08:10 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times

Advertisements

Thank you, Hank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 08:33 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,731 times
Yeah, thanks Hank! Great post. I repped you (still can't remember how to do anything but a 'quick reputation'). Oh, never mind, I found it - it's the little scale up in the right corner. Doh!

Why was Nawiliwili (which also faces southeast, not really toward the trades) "almost unusable" without the breakwater? Just wondering.

Last edited by Sweetbeet; 03-13-2010 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: Figured out reputation

Old 03-15-2010, 02:28 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
Why was Nawiliwili (which also faces southeast, not really toward the trades) "almost unusable" without the breakwater? Just wondering.
Looks East to me, on this map. I think that makes for rough water. Look at what breaks on the breakwater during strong trades.

Kauai - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/yjnmzdj - broken link)

Old 03-15-2010, 03:08 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,511 times
I have been reading some history on the islands. Also Jack London has some short stories of Hawaii that are interesting. If I remember right Honolulu had the first flight into Hawaii from main land. Many tradable items concentrated in Honolulu. Along with milatary base back before WW 2. I believe it was around the Spanish American war.

I remember a Chinise man maybe not the first but one of the biggest bought up property along Honolulu and starting creating hotels, along with other developers. Kona also had one of the first airports also and was part of the Honolulu steam crise liners bringing people to Hawaii islands for vacation in early 1900's. Kona, Valcanoe, Hilo and other islands were stop over points. It seems as Honolulu was the base for mainland travel so it grew up faster and more than the other islands. I haven't read as much for the other islands so I could be wrong. It also seems to me that tourism was concentrated in Honolulu where pinapple, surgar cane, cattle and other business' seem to be the concentration in other areas for business.

Also I would think being the Bishop Estate lands held such a large holdings on the islands and wasn't supposed to sell any held back areas for developement also until I think it was around late 30's -early 40's (?) till they created the Fee Simple lease of lands to developers. When it was created they owned over 400,000 acres in the islands. Water sources I would also think would dictact where tourism developments could be.

I believe in the 60's" a big push on tourism happened for Honolulu and again the other islands as quick stop overs. Some of the summary of reading I have done that I remember.

Also the goverment being set up for the islands created the base in Honolulu. I have been reading more lately on the ancient - pre Hawaiian system lately so not so my memorey banks are a little cloudy.

Last edited by nwcountrygal; 03-15-2010 at 03:17 PM..

Old 03-15-2010, 07:47 PM

13 posts, read 40,333 times
Oahu became the most developed and populated because of its geography. Honolulu harbor was important to trade in the 1800s. Kamehameha moved his court to Honolulu because of this. Oahu also has the largest natural harbor in the state. After Pearl Harbor was dredged to accommodate large ships, it quickly became an important naval station.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:01 AM

117 posts, read 545,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
Oahu is also very popular for the Japanese because of the many different shopping options. It is also very accommodating for guests without cars, and many Japanese do not like to drive when abroad.
thats the reason why Ala Moana Center is the busiest mall in the country. all the international tourist love that they can get all the american brands/stores here

Old 03-16-2010, 11:23 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,877 times
The late 50's push for statehood made Hawaii a popular destination for that generation.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:05 PM

805 posts, read 1,510,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I've never been to Hawaii, but I was curious as to why Oahu is the most popular of the islands?

Is it because of Pearl Harbor?

I would definitely love to visit someday. But I look at maps and sometimes wish that it were not so far out in relation to the other islands. For example, I wish it were the 2nd island going west, right after the Big Island. Does anyone know what I mean?

Well, it doesn't work quite that way. Looking at the map, you feel the way you do. But once you are here, you won't even care.

Unless you have relatives on each island or travel inter-island frequently for business, the island you pick will be your WORLD. You will not bother to visit the other islands unless you have a good reason to. Most people have to make ends meet and going to another island costs $, and they have to plan a trip that is more involved than driving to another town. The difference in time you spend on a flight between one island to the other isn't a big deal. Once you're on a plane, give or take 30 min, you're on the plane. The trip itself is an ordeal for a lot of people because if it's not a day-trip, they have to make arrangements for lodging and car rental. Which increases the cost.

I met a guy in Oahu who told me, "I would never go to Maui." And plenty of people in Maui who say, "I would never go to Oahu."

We live in our island bubble. Heck, I rarely get to see friends in other towns on this island (Maui). Why? "It's too far to drive." People in Lahaina STAY in lahaina.

Oahu has tons of things to do (outdoors, nightlife, classes, culture, etc) so if you pick that island, you will not be thinking about the rest of us, believe me.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:55 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Yes, I tend to believe you. I realize it was kind of an irrational idea anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu