Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 02:23 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Hawaii, but I was curious as to why Oahu is the most popular of the islands?

Is it because of Pearl Harbor?

I would definitely love to visit someday. But I look at maps and sometimes wish that it were not so far out in relation to the other islands. For example, I wish it were the 2nd island going west, right after the Big Island. Does anyone know what I mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 02:55 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,889 times
Do you mean from the West? Which would make it Maui.

What do I win?

Old 03-11-2010, 04:59 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Is Maui really the most popular for westerners? Maybe it's for the same reason I said. People look at it on the map and realize they would rather go to the large island that's not quite so far out. The name also sounds more familiar than Oahu.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:37 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Air travel within the islands is extremely short little trips. Honolulu is on Oahu which is basically a built up city and has the famed Waikiki Beach. Maui, although constantly building houses and condos, has an entirely different lifestyle and experience. Each island is unique unto itself.

If you visit, you can island hop, even for a day on some of the islands, and enjoy the individuality each has to offer.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:53 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Because of Magnum PI?

Old 03-11-2010, 09:59 AM

243 posts, read 813,090 times
I'm not sure if there is an exact reason to your question; why is Oahu so popular? But I don't think it's because of Pearl Harbor. Like someone mentione earlier, each island offers its own personality and meaning. Oahu is the gathering place island, Maui is the magical island, Big Island is the volcanic island, Kauai is the oldest and greenest island, Lanai is known as the pineapple island, etc. Not entirely sure what you mean about the islands being in different places but they aren't that far apart. On a clear day, you could be standing on one island and be able to see another island in the distance. Also, island hopping is less than 30 minutes by plane and there is also the new ferry service as well. So in a way, each island has it's own popularity, lifestyle, and uniqueness. Hope this helps a little bit.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:29 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,889 times
Is the Super Ferry still running?

Old 03-11-2010, 10:31 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arodrigues88 View Post
I'm not sure if there is an exact reason to your question; why is Oahu so popular? But I don't think it's because of Pearl Harbor. Like someone mentione earlier, each island offers its own personality and meaning. Oahu is the gathering place island, Maui is the magical island, Big Island is the volcanic island, Kauai is the oldest and greenest island, Lanai is known as the pineapple island, etc. Not entirely sure what you mean about the islands being in different places but they aren't that far apart. On a clear day, you could be standing on one island and be able to see another island in the distance. Also, island hopping is less than 30 minutes by plane and there is also the new ferry service as well. So in a way, each island has it's own popularity, lifestyle, and uniqueness. Hope this helps a little bit.
I thought the ferry didn't exist anymore

Old 03-11-2010, 10:32 AM

66 posts, read 233,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Because of Magnum PI?
Nope. Blue Hawaii.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:37 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,052 times
I'm assuming by "most popular" you mean Oahu gets the most visitors. One reason is it has the biggest airport, and the most direct flights from the mainland and everywhere else in the world. That helps steer people to Oahu who might actually prefer to go elsewhere.

It also has the largest convention facilities and the most hotel options by far, which encourages large groups to stay there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu