Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:33 PM

342 posts, read 1,926,509 times

Advertisements

Is owning a car necessary when living in Honolulu? Can you get around town by foot and public transportation alone? Or do you really need a car? I don't mind paying more in rent for a location where I don't need a car. Any information you can share is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 12:54 AM

203 posts, read 1,357,827 times
mod cut: quote orphaned. Post responding to has been deleted.

It's www.thebus.org

Last edited by scirocco22; 12-13-2007 at 09:51 AM..

Old 12-13-2007, 12:40 PM

312 posts, read 1,639,148 times
The Bus system is very good here. You don't need a car, although it's nice to transport bigger items (groceries, xmas shopping, furniture).

Old 12-14-2007, 12:26 PM

33 posts, read 140,433 times
Many do not have a car in Honolulu. Be careful crossing streets alot of pedestrian accidents because of this. Biking can take you far although there are restrictions regarding biking in some areas; Waikiki has rules of the road. People ride mopeds alot (annoyingly noisy). You can load your bike on the front of the Bus. Some bikes look like cars (tweaked out with baskets and such). Much of the island is separated geographically (Ridges and such). The freeway is car/truck only. No subways, trains, light rail or cabs readily available (you have to call). The Bus schedule will be your bible. Parking is a hassle in town anyway.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:00 PM

850 posts, read 4,363,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norhjerseygirl View Post
Many do not have a car in Honolulu. Be careful crossing streets alot of pedestrian accidents because of this. Biking can take you far although there are restrictions regarding biking in some areas; Waikiki has rules of the road. People ride mopeds alot (annoyingly noisy). You can load your bike on the front of the Bus. Some bikes look like cars (tweaked out with baskets and such). Much of the island is separated geographically (Ridges and such). The freeway is car/truck only. No subways, trains, light rail or cabs readily available (you have to call). The Bus schedule will be your bible. Parking is a hassle in town anyway.

the other day, there were three pedestrian accidents on o'ahu in a matter of a 1 hour period. yesterday, there were three vehicle accidents/incidents. one on the pali highway. i think they said it was at castle junction. one one likelike and one on the h-3 freeway. it took us app. 1 1/2 hours to get from pearlridge to kailua. this was about 330pm. ugh!

Old 12-14-2007, 10:05 PM

342 posts, read 1,926,509 times
So are the drivers just terrible or are there just too many people and cars in the road?

Old 12-14-2007, 10:40 PM

850 posts, read 4,363,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
So are the drivers just terrible or are there just too many people and cars in the road?
i don't drive but there sure were a lot of cars on the road. well, it is the holiday season and just the start of the peak traffic hour. maybe that explains it. plus it was raining.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:57 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
This is certainly one of the things I like about Honolulu!

I rented a room in an apartment on Nuuanu Avenue for a month...and just took the bus everywhere I wanted to go in Honolulu...it worked out well. Nice people on the bus as well - completely different than anything in the mainland.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:15 PM

361 posts, read 1,087,778 times
how late does the bus run till? i wouldn't want to get stranded in the middle of the night somewhere, u nam sayin?

Old 05-12-2010, 01:19 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner View Post
how late does the bus run till? i wouldn't want to get stranded in the middle of the night somewhere, u nam sayin?
Depends on the location. TheBus runs all around the island. Here is their website, with schedules:

TheBus Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu