Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 08:00 PM

51 posts, read 279,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwing View Post
Ocala is a great place to live. I just moved out of Ocala about 9 months ago. The problem is the pay in the area is fairly low, hard to find a decent paying job .
Ocala is Growing too fast. If you work in the health care area you can find better opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
Doesn't John Travolta's house in Ocala have like a small landing strip for his airplane!!
If you look into google earth map you can find Travolta's plane parking in the house

Old 10-16-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I miss Ocala, I took a job in SC, wish I had stayed in Ocala, or at least moved back to what I call home, TEXAS, but either way wish I had not moved to SC
Ocala is a place to call home, I love it. living here is amazing

Old 10-16-2007, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 10,511 times
I agree this area has a certain charm I just hope that it does not get overdeveloped

Old 10-16-2007, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 10,511 times
Your Daughter should attempt to get into a medical field there are a lot of people here that need all type of services and assistance in this area some training would help her.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyler View Post
Your Daughter should attempt to get into a medical field there are a lot of people here that need all type of services and assistance in this area some training would help her.
My wife is a nurse, I am a nurse too but I didn't work in a hospital anymore. The health care Jobs in Marion County is growing and growing

Old 12-01-2007, 09:35 PM

299 posts, read 1,333,489 times
Quote:
Ocala is a great place to live. I just moved out of Ocala about 9 months ago. The problem is the pay in the area is fairly low, hard to find a decent paying job .
What about language with finding a job - have a hard time because I don't speak Spanish. Is that a major problem in Ocala?

Old 12-04-2007, 03:25 AM

24 posts, read 86,460 times
For getting a clerical position quick ... tell her to go to a temp service. Spherion is located just west of 441/Pine Ave on S.R. 200 (just before the bridge on the left). I was set up with quite a few jobs in factory making decent money, but have friends that were set up with office positions and such. There are other places like Rita Staffing and such. Usually can set up a job within the week (and I have been sent the same day which turned into a hired-on permanent job).

Ocala does have its share of trailers and mansions nice neighborhoods and the not-so-nice, sub-urban to rural. You can get out of it and see what you want to. I want to leave and experience different places, and I have stopped appreciated what is here ... but when I stop to look, it isn't bad at all, and with recent development, it is getting better. It is just way too hot for my taste. It is december and I am still running the a/c during the day, though the cold front cooled it down right now a bit. If you like 80s for christmas, this is the place to be ... it snowed once (a light flurry) in my lifetime, 18 or 19 years ago ... melted quick, but I remember people having fun with it ... leaving sprinklers on so ice was hanging off of trees, piling up the little bit of snow on the car to make a itsy bitsy snowball :P

If you like oak trees, moss, warm weather, nature parks, small hills, and being about an hour or two from most major things in FL, this is the hot spot for sure (Daytona, Orlando, Tampa, Gainesville, Jacksonville ... all a reasonably short drive.

You can see the shuttle going up by walking outside. Looks better at night. Just a few hours drive to watch it up close

You can drive about an hour to watch the sunrise on the beach, then drive home and lounge around the house, then drive another hour and watch the sun set on the west coast and it is still just a short drive back home to sleep in your own bed ... which not many other places in the world can you do that.

If you are willing to take advantage of this city and all it has to offer ... I guess it is a very special place.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:16 AM

47 posts, read 118,082 times
There isn't much in Ocala unless you like farming. There is no local tv station everything comes out of Orlando or Gainesville. You have to like Country music. E-One is subsidized by the residents for jobs. When was the last time you had your neighbor pay you to start a business? It is very hot in the summer and gets old in the winter. Restaurants - only a couple decent ones, no family recreation unless you want the movies or Silver Springs. No mini golf except one dumpy place.

If you want country, horses and farming and farmer living with low wages - then Ocala is for you. If you prefer a little culture (Ocala Civic Theater is a joke) maybe some beach events (without driving an hour plus) greater selection in restaurants, local news and events then maybe Ft. Myers, Palm Beach, Clearwater, Jacksonville etc.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:57 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1-P View Post
There isn't much in Ocala unless you like farming. There is no local tv station everything comes out of Orlando or Gainesville. You have to like Country music. E-One is subsidized by the residents for jobs. When was the last time you had your neighbor pay you to start a business? It is very hot in the summer and gets old in the winter. Restaurants - only a couple decent ones, no family recreation unless you want the movies or Silver Springs. No mini golf except one dumpy place.

If you want country, horses and farming and farmer living with low wages - then Ocala is for you. If you prefer a little culture (Ocala Civic Theater is a joke) maybe some beach events (without driving an hour plus) greater selection in restaurants, local news and events then maybe Ft. Myers, Palm Beach, Clearwater, Jacksonville etc.
Don't forget Lockheed Martin they have a facility in Ocala, although I read and hear the job market kinda dim with lower pay in Ocala, outside of the healthcare field that is.

More humid and buggy, limited culture, not much to do, more of the real south mentality. If you like that kinda of thing, it's probably a nice place to live, don't know for how long it will last with all the people moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala