Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 04:46 PM

67 posts, read 238,177 times

Advertisements

I was in Ocala last week and checked both of these developements. In my opinion Stone Creek was the better choice due to location, amenities, and I thought SummerGlen looked dated. I was not very impressed by the construction in either developement. I am a plumber,I do not know about Florida codes, but here in Arkansas (definitly NOT the most stringent state) CPVC water piping, which is used in Stone Creek, is not recommended in residential construction, only copper and PEX are used. Also, the brand of fixtures and water heater in Stone Creek are the cheapest available. It makes me wonder about the quality of materials used throughout the homes. I just wish there were some 5 or 10 year old homes there, so I could see how they stand up over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 02:42 PM

88 posts, read 372,039 times
No CDD is a tough nut in these parts...IF, I'd have to move here, I'd pick The Villages 2X over anywhere in the Ocala area.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:20 PM

67 posts, read 238,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawgKlr View Post
No CDD is a tough nut in these parts...IF, I'd have to move here, I'd pick The Villages 2X over anywhere in the Ocala area.
Please explain what you mean. Is no CDD a detriment?

Old 04-02-2009, 01:08 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
Thanks for the input, curious how Stone Creek compares to SummerGlen in other aspects from those who have recently visited. I know everyone has their own preferences as to what they're looking for. There seems to be quite a few over 55 developments in the area and it's confusing at best, looking from afar and narrowing down

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintrps View Post
I was in Ocala last week and checked both of these developements. In my opinion Stone Creek was the better choice due to location, amenities, and I thought SummerGlen looked dated. I was not very impressed by the construction in either developement. I am a plumber,I do not know about Florida codes, but here in Arkansas (definitly NOT the most stringent state) CPVC water piping, which is used in Stone Creek, is not recommended in residential construction, only copper and PEX are used. Also, the brand of fixtures and water heater in Stone Creek are the cheapest available. It makes me wonder about the quality of materials used throughout the homes. I just wish there were some 5 or 10 year old homes there, so I could see how they stand up over the years.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:14 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
Good question, I can't compare SG to SC as I've never been to either but from what I've read, generally newer sections (or developments) have younger residents - of course that's not a hard-and-fast rule though, just 'speaking' generally (of course it can vary though) - I would think if you purchase a re-sale in an older, more established 55+ community, you can get more of a mix of ages than if you purchase new

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
We have been looking at some 55+ communities here in the Atlanta area and noticed that most residents seem to be in their mid 70's. We are in our 60's and wondered if the age 70's is prevalent in the SummerGlen and StoneCrest communities?

Old 04-30-2009, 01:51 PM

12 posts, read 57,586 times
Default Stone Creek vs. Summer Glen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG_NYC View Post
My house in NY is in contract to be sold by the end of April (or earlier) and I expect to relocate in Ocala. After a lot of research, I have narrowed my choices down to SummerGlen or Stone Creek and will be visiting them in the next few weeks.

I am interested in opinions on each from folks out there. I'd appreciate it if comments were limited to them only as I am already overloaded and do not want other communities added to the equation.

Thanks for any help.
John

Last week we visited both Summer Glen and Stone Creek. We wound up purchasing in Stone Creek.

Both developments are very nice. The people at Summer Glen from the sales people to the residents could not have been nicer. They set us up with a host couple to take us to lunch at the club house and set me up with a free golf game with a really nice person.

We wound up buying at Stone Creek because the location is better (much closer to shopping etc) and because the development is a much classier and prettier looking development. Nonetheless you would not be doing badly if you picked either development as both have much to offer.

Summer Glen is much more accomodating as far as customizing your home. At Stone Creek you can pretty much forget about customizing your home while Summer Glen will bend over backwards to do what you want.

Larry

Old 04-30-2009, 01:56 PM

12 posts, read 57,586 times
Default Stone Creek vs. Summer Glen

Last week we visited both communities and wound up purchasing at Summer Glen.

Stone Creek has a better location as far as shopping and being close to things and has a classier looking development.

Summer Glen was also nice. The people were fabulous from the sales people to the residents. The sales staff set us up in a guest villa that was nicely stocked with drinks etc. We had a host couple take us to a free lunch and a host took me to the golf club for a free round of golf. These people were fabulously nice.

Summer Glen will let you customize your home while Stone Creek does not do virtually any customizing.

I would say you would not go wrong buying in either community but would say that Stone Creek has a classier and prettier look.

Larry

Old 04-30-2009, 07:57 PM

49 posts, read 443,373 times
I'm a little confused here , Larry. Two postings within 5 minutes. One says you bought at Summer Glen, the other Stone Creek.

Here is my take and how I acted on it:

I agree with your findings. I visited SummerGlen first and loved the people but felt the amenities were somewhat lacking. I almost bought there based on price before going to Stone Creek. Then I found two problems with SummerGlen: I awoke to noise from I-75 on my last day there and found out that the nearest shopping was in a bad area.
I was worried that Stone Creek would be too expensive for me but fell in love with the amenities and the nearby shopping. I also met nice people there as well. I was then offered a good deal to buy there. I did.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:43 PM

51 posts, read 222,188 times
John - We've been in Stone Creek for a little over a month now; and I am very happy here. We did buy a resale; but looked at spec homes by the builder. I know that two of the spec homes that we looked at a month ago are now sold and occupied. Maybe all of us that have contributed to this topic and have chosen Stone Creek will have to get together sometime!

Old 05-04-2009, 06:29 PM

49 posts, read 443,373 times
OcalaGala,

Glad to hear that things are going well for you at Stone Creek. I will - hopefully - be moving there in about 2 weeks. I am qualifying that as I still running into some hurdles on my home sale here in NY. (My purchase in SC is contingent on the sale going through.)

I would be happy to meet up any time after the move. Feel free to provide any details in a private message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala