Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 11,832 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me a rough idea of property taxes AND property insurance run in Summer Glen and Stone Creek in Ocala?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 10:53 AM

49 posts, read 443,059 times
Deb,

Some answers to your questions as someone who chose Stone Creek over SummerGlen and who started this thread way back when.

1. I would say that SummerGlen homes are less expensive for two reasons: location and the Del Webb name. SummerGlen is right off I-75. I stayed there for a few days and found the noise evident and distracting. Stone Creek is much closer to all kinds of shopping and has better facilities.
2. I cannot really comment on maintenance of homes for sale. Were they resales or new?
3. As far as renting, I would suggest you contact a realtor. I have a friend I can recommend if you would like. (I would send this to you as a private message as I am not sure of rules in this regard.)
4. As you know taxes and insurance vary by property. My taxes are below $3000 (will be lower this year when homestead kicks in). My insurance is under $600.

Hope that helps.

JohnG

Old 02-03-2010, 07:47 AM

14 posts, read 97,412 times
Default SummerGlen vs. Stone Creek

One of the reasons SummerGlen is less expensive that Stone Creek is that SummerGlen does not support the extensive amenities package that Stone Creek offers. While their amenities are spectacular, potential Purchasers need to ask themselves if they need and will they use all that is provided. Also, they need to imagine what the usage on these facilities will be when the 4,000 plus homes at Stone Creek are completed.

SummerGlen was designed to offer a complete but very affordable amenities package to residents. You'll find virtually everything you'll need--heated pool, spa, fitness center, loads of meeting/social space, a full-service restaurant and bar, great golfing facilities, softball field, community garden, FREE secured and paved RV parking... even two dog parks. But at $125 per month (including mowing your lawn), SummerGlen is now in the black for its homeowners' association, even though it is less than 3/4 complete. Also there are just over 1,000 homes at the SummerGlen retirement community in Ocala, making it a much more livable neighborhood.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:19 AM

49 posts, read 443,059 times
Teleazer and I would agree on one thing: You should visit both communities to compare. This forum is great for information but nothing beats an actual visit. As part of the visit, take a drive and see which location you like better in addition to viewing the community itself.

Regarding the Teleazer post:

1. Regarding facilities at Stone Creek: Teleazer implied that the existing facilities here will not be added to as the community grows. This is simply not the case.
2. I am sure you figured out that Teleazer is connected to SummerGlen. If not, click on Teleazer and you will see his website is www.summerglen.com. That is not to say that his points are not valid - merely that they are biased towards SummerGlen.
3. I will not spend time defending Stone Creek as I am a resident - not a spokesperson. All I can tell you is I visited both and chose Stone Creek. Several others in this thread have done the same.

JohnG

Old 02-21-2010, 01:32 PM

67 posts, read 238,035 times
As stated in my previous post, I am very satisfied with living in Stone Creek. My home has had a few minor cosmetic issues, all of which have been resolved quickly by Pulte. The amenities are terrific and the people I have met here are very friendly. However, one thing that is not mentioned, and may NOT be an issue for most people is the noise pollution created by the small airplanes going in and out of Ocala Airport. The airport is located a few miles north of Stone Creek. If you are noise sensitive, like I am, the constant noise from the planes is quite disturbing. I would advise any potential buyers to check this. If I had known of this situation, I would not have purchased in Stone Creek.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:16 PM

15 posts, read 54,670 times
Question SummerGlen

I know your post is over a year old but do you have any further input on SummerGlenn? I'm thinking about visiting and taking a look at this community. I currently live in california - originally from Brooklyn - and think one day I'll be back on the east coast again and this community looks very interesting. Are there monthly fees?

Old 05-15-2010, 12:34 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,419,499 times
I dont live there nor have I visited but like most 55+ communities, Im sure there are monthly fees, here's the website for more info
Florida Retirement Communities – Find Florida Retirement Living - FLC
The posters who posted about it havent been online in a while so rather than wait, it might be a good idea to directly contact the communities you're interested in. There's many others in the vicinity too including The Villages, which is huge, has tons of activities and has their own website.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:19 PM

3 posts, read 11,522 times
moving to sc from georgia.at this time better deal on a resale sheridan?

Old 07-06-2010, 01:20 PM

3 posts, read 11,522 times
better deal on a resale than new

Old 07-19-2010, 07:15 AM

14 posts, read 97,412 times
The monthly fees at SummerGlen are $125 per month, probably the lowest of any of the premier retirement communities in Central Florida. This fee includes upkeep of the grounds, staffing the gatehouse, and use of ALL recreational facilities, except golf (you can play golf for a per round fee or join as an equity member and pay annual dues). This fee also includes lawn mowing, edging and blowing of driveway and walk. Most over-55 communities do not mow your lawns, and the charges for this alone can eaily be $75-$100 per month. This fee has been the same for the past several years, and the association is operating in the black (without a subsidy from the developer), so the fees should be stable in the future.

It's important to understand that SummerGlen is quite different from almost any other adult communities in that it is entirely resident owned. In most communities the developer retains control of the golf course and sometimes the recreational facilities. This means that once development is complete, homeowners will still be paying the developer for use of their facilities. At SummerGlen, all facilities will be turned over to homeowners. The equity members of the golf course will also have the opportunity to purchase the course.

Understanding how the retirement community you choose will be owned after development should be a very important part of your decision-making process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala