Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 03:20 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I made about the same ($41K annually) 15 years ago right out of college. It didn't take me long to figure out how far it didn't go.

These days, it's relatively safe to say that a household with 2 kids pulling in less than $80K probably struggles a bit to make ends meet. Even at that rate, their means afford them little in the way of extravagance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 03:41 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
Well, i only make $12 right now and it sucks! Thank god my apartment is so cheap or i'd be living on the street. At $14/hr that's only $28k/year, not a whole lot if you have a house payment and/or a family. That's what's wrong with this country. So many of our good paying jobs have left we'd be happy to make $14. Right now i would almost kill to make $14 and that's w/a bachelor's degree!

Old 01-09-2011, 04:36 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Well, i only make $12 right now and it sucks! Thank god my apartment is so cheap or i'd be living on the street. At $14/hr that's only $28k/year, not a whole lot if you have a house payment and/or a family. That's what's wrong with this country. So many of our good paying jobs have left we'd be happy to make $14. Right now i would almost kill to make $14 and that's w/a bachelor's degree!
Well Ross Pierot (not sure of spelling) did say that when they sign the NAFTA Bill there would be great sucking sound of our jobs going overseas.
I can live off of 12 to 14 bucks an hour and still put plenty away for retirement. I don't like to waste my money and give it to the government local and otherwise ever time they want a levy passed to suck it out of my pockets. I VOTE NO IF IT MEANS THEY WANT MORE MONEY!!!!!!
I think they need to shut off the Welfare scam program and re-open the WPA. A shovel will fit male or female hands, no more free hand outs.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:42 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times
NAFTA = Canada and Mexico. Last time I checked, neither are overseas.

Either way, your WPA solution would require more money from your pocket. How do you think those wages would be paid? If you have a hard time giving someone $500/mo in transfer payments, my guess is that you would have even more of a problem paying someone $20/hr for digging ditches by hand. You seem to already have a problem contributing to the one thing that could really help change this downward slide: education.

The day the have-nots quit scrapping among themselves and align against the power brokers is the day this situation begins to improve. Until then, enjoy working too hard for too little.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Today is my 22nd anniversary working for my current employer. I started off at $16 an hour base rate, plus another $2 for license pay.

Anybody that thinks $14 is good, needs to set their goals a little higher.
I don't know if it's a matter of setting you goals a little higher as much as not wasting your money on things you don't need, I do great with the pay that I get. As a dump truck driver it averages around $15 to $16 an hour during asphalt season/ mid spring thru mid to late fall.

I don't have more than I need, a camper that gets used from time to time for work purpose. No ATVs, no Snowmobile, no Motorcycles, no gulf clubs, no FWD trucks, no game boys or anything like it and no big screen TV's. I have what I need like this computer that I use for this and find info on the net. And having no kids (although we did want them) we are able to say for our future and vacations when we want.

It's a matter of not living beyond your need and wants. Yes some may think we live a boring life, but we're happy and I've traveled all over the world during my time in the military.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:45 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,504,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I don't know if it's a matter of setting you goals a little higher as much as not wasting your money on things you don't need, I do great with the pay that I get. As a dump truck driver it averages around $15 to $16 an hour during asphalt season/ mid spring thru mid to late fall.

I don't have more than I need, a camper that gets used from time to time for work purpose. No ATVs, no Snowmobile, no Motorcycles, no gulf clubs, no FWD trucks, no game boys or anything like it and no big screen TV's. I have what I need like this computer that I use for this and find info on the net. And having no kids (although we did want them) we are able to say for our future and vacations when we want.

It's a matter of not living beyond your need and wants. Yes some may think we live a boring life, but we're happy and I've traveled all over the world during my time in the military.
You talk about that you think $14 an hour is plenty if you don't live outside of your means. You also say "we" but no kids so I am assuming that there are 2 of you. You say also that you average $15-16/hour during your work season. An earlier post stated that you had other income during the "non-asphalt season" from odd jobs.

Now a few questions that can help us understand your position:
1. Are you currently buying or renting a home so that you would have that monthly expense, or do you own your home outright?
2. Does the other part of the "we" have additional income to contribute to the mix?
3. Since you traveled all over the world while you were in the military, were you in long enough that you have pension income that supplements your earnings?

Considering all these things, (and not knowing any of your answers yet) are you 100% convinced that a couple with 2 kids in elementary school with a house or rent payment of $500 per month and other normal expenses (food, clothes, fuel utilities, insurance, medical, etc.) can do just fine if only one person in the family is earning not more than $14/hr, not only meeting all expenses, but putting money away in savings as you suggest?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
You talk about that you think $14 an hour is plenty if you don't live outside of your means. You also say "we" but no kids so I am assuming that there are 2 of you. You say also that you average $15-16/hour during your work season. An earlier post stated that you had other income during the "non-asphalt season" from odd jobs.

Now a few questions that can help us understand your position:
1. Are you currently buying or renting a home so that you would have that monthly expense, or do you own your home outright?

Owner and bought and paid for.

2. Does the other part of the "we" have additional income to contribute to the mix?

Ebay is a good thing and she great at it.

3. Since you traveled all over the world while you were in the military, were you in long enough that you have pension income that supplements your earnings?

Reserves, 21 yr retired but not to receive it until 65,

Considering all these things, (and not knowing any of your answers yet) are you 100% convinced that a couple with 2 kids in elementary school with a house or rent payment of $500 per month and other normal expenses (food, clothes, fuel utilities, insurance, medical, etc.) can do just fine if only one person in the family is earning not more than $14/hr, not only meeting all expenses, but putting money away in savings as you suggest?
If both were at that scale (With benefits) they should do just fending for themselves on $14.00 and hour per person.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:44 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,504,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
If both were at that scale (With benefits) they should do just fending for themselves on $14.00 and hour per person.
Thanks for the answers. That clarifies a lot. Now back to the question as I asked it. Unemployment rate is high and many are currently unemployed. What about "if only one person in the family is earning" and the other is unemployed?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:58 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
rrtechno brings up good points. I commend EB for living with in his means, when i was making $14-$25/hr i had no problems living with in my means as a single person, i even had a house payment (it was cheap).

Now that it's 5 or 10 years later gas costs me a ton more, i drive further to work, i rent and i'm barely living paycheck to paycheck. There have been times when i've had to dip into savings (thank god i have some left over from my over paid union job lol) more than once over the past few years. I should also mention that until six months ago i was only making $11.20/hr, yeah, kind of hard to even get your hair cut when you have to budget w/that kind of wage.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Thanks for the answers. That clarifies a lot. Now back to the question as I asked it. Unemployment rate is high and many are currently unemployed. What about "if only one person in the family is earning" and the other is unemployed?
Then baton down the hatches, tighten the belts, sell the game-boy and settle in for the winter . No really, if you manage your movie and cut out all the un-need expenses and stick only to the necessary things (and that means to dump the smokes and liquor to), you should do OK to ride out the economy storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: