Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:06 AM

5 posts, read 10,553 times

Advertisements

Hello all, me and my partner currently live in England but would love to move to USA as soon as possible. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on what's good and bad about Ohio? Where are the best places to raise a family? Where are the worst? and the most crucial thing of all, What the sports teams like in Ohio any comments are welcome, thank you for taking the time to read my thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 04:57 PM

192 posts, read 395,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest1865 View Post
Hello all, me and my partner currently live in England but would love to move to USA as soon as possible. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on what's good and bad about Ohio? Where are the best places to raise a family? Where are the worst? and the most crucial thing of all, What the sports teams like in Ohio any comments are welcome, thank you for taking the time to read my thread.
Wow. If you move to the USA in specific Ohio I believe you will soon be on your way back to the UK

Old 05-06-2009, 05:21 PM

66 posts, read 189,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest1865 View Post
Ohio pretty much offers it all. It is the 7th most populated state in the country and has the highest population density except for some of the states on the East Coast. There is a lot of stuff to do in Ohio. Amusement parks, state parks, Lake Erie, museums, theatres, malls, great restaurants, and many other cultural attractions. Sports are huge in Ohio. There are 2 Major Leage Baseball teams, 2 NFL teams, major league soccer, NBA, etc. There are also many universities in Ohio and their sports programs are very popular. There are a lot of great places to raise a family in Ohio and cities/towns in Ohio often come up a lot on America's best places to raise a family. The best places, IMO would be in the suburbs of any of the 3 C's, Cincinnati, Cleveland, or Columbus. If you had a more specific city in mind, people might be able to give you some more specific options. I'm more familiar with Cincinnati than the other areas. There are quite a few families from England in the area (often from companies like P&G) that enjoy living in Cincinnati. I don't know why the last poster is so against Ohio. IMO, it offers just as much or more than most other states in the USA.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:33 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,642,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb3601 View Post
Wow. If you move to the USA in specific Ohio I believe you will soon be on your way back to the UK

Wow, that post was not informative at all! That was probaly the most pathetic post I have ever read on here since being a member.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:46 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,642,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyohguy View Post
Ohio pretty much offers it all. It is the 7th most populated state in the country and has the highest population density except for some of the states on the East Coast. There is a lot of stuff to do in Ohio. Amusement parks, state parks, Lake Erie, museums, theatres, malls, great restaurants, and many other cultural attractions. Sports are huge in Ohio. There are 2 Major Leage Baseball teams, 2 NFL teams, major league soccer, NBA, etc. There are also many universities in Ohio and their sports programs are very popular. There are a lot of great places to raise a family in Ohio and cities/towns in Ohio often come up a lot on America's best places to raise a family. The best places, IMO would be in the suburbs of any of the 3 C's, Cincinnati, Cleveland, or Columbus. If you had a more specific city in mind, people might be able to give you some more specific options. I'm more familiar with Cincinnati than the other areas. There are quite a few families from England in the area (often from companies like P&G) that enjoy living in Cincinnati. I don't know why the last poster is so against Ohio. IMO, it offers just as much or more than most other states in the USA.

Great post!

Speaking of sport teams, I know soccer is popular in England, well the Columbus Crew just won the championship last season.

Ohio has a lot of great things to offer and bring to the table. We have a big population, which means big cities with lots of cultural things to do and offer, and diverse job markets. Ohio is 7th in population, but we are 5th in the nation for home based fortune 500 companies. We have one of the most extensive state park systems in the country, we have a national park that is only 30 minutes from downtown Cleveland. We have two of some of the busiest theme parks not only in the U.S., but the world as well. We may be big in population, but there are many areas of the state that are sparsely populated, but the best thing is, they are not a far drive from the cities either.

Ohio offers old cities that embrace their past, and have amazing neighborhoods that are hard to find anywhere else in the U.S. like Over-The-Rhine in Cincinnati, Ohio City and Tremont in Cleveland. Both Cincy and Cleveland have been doing awesome jobs of preserving these old areas, and turning a lot of the warehouses and such into condos; and they are quite popular with the younger crowd. But they also over new and modern areas. Downtown Cleveland and Downtown Cincinnati are currently seeing a couple multi billion dollar projects going on in their downtowns. Cincinnati is building The Banks project on their central riverfront which, when finished, will be one of the prime mixed-use developments in the nation. Cincy is also building its new tallest skyscraper, Great American Tower. Cleveland just approved its construction for a new convention center/medical mart. Expected to be one of the best convention centers in the nation, and one of the few that is a medical mart.

Ohio also has a very progressive "newer" city, Columbus. Columbus has a diverse economy, that is bringing in people from all over the nation and world. Columbus has the new modern districts downtown like the Arena District, but also holds onto its rich past with areas like Victorian Village, German Village, Short North, and don't forget about the area around THE Ohio State University, the largest university in North America.

Check Ohio out, it has a lot to offer. We have cities that are very different from eachother, and to me, that is awesome. It shows the diversity that our state has to offer. We have beautiful areas outside of the cities (Hocking Hills State Park), and cities that have so much going on. Ohio is a very livable state. Cleveland was just ranked one of the most livable cities in the U.S. and 26th on a global scale.

Ohio's slogan is "So Much to Discover". And I think thats true, so many people go to one area of the state, and judge it based on that, failing to realize that there is so much more.

Good Luck on whatever you decision is...

Old 05-06-2009, 07:46 PM

141 posts, read 428,533 times
The worst thing about Ohio is that it's dying, our economy is one of the worst, and as a result, people are fleeing to other states.

On the bright side, it's a beautiful state with a lot of diversity and the cost of living is really low.

As for sports teams, both Cleveland and Cincinnati have major league teams. American football is big (Cleveland has the Browns, Cincinnati has the Bengals) as well as baseball. There is also hockey and soccer, though not nearly as popular.

As for the best place to raise a family, it depends on what you're looking for. What industry do you plan to work in? Do you want to be in an urban area or a rural one? Do you want to be near the lake or not? Do you plan on having your children attend public, private or parochial schools? Do you want a cultured area or big box suburbs? What activities does your family like to do? What kind of people do you want to be surrounded by?

Old 05-07-2009, 05:54 AM

66 posts, read 189,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treat View Post
The worst thing about Ohio is that it's dying, our economy is one of the worst, and as a result, people are fleeing to other states.

On the bright side, it's a beautiful state with a lot of diversity and the cost of living is really low.

As for sports teams, both Cleveland and Cincinnati have major league teams. American football is big (Cleveland has the Browns, Cincinnati has the Bengals) as well as baseball. There is also hockey and soccer, though not nearly as popular.

As for the best place to raise a family, it depends on what you're looking for. What industry do you plan to work in? Do you want to be in an urban area or a rural one? Do you want to be near the lake or not? Do you plan on having your children attend public, private or parochial schools? Do you want a cultured area or big box suburbs? What activities does your family like to do? What kind of people do you want to be surrounded by?
I know many people like to generalize and say that Ohio is dying, but that certainly isn't true in some areas. Both Cincinnati and Columbus are growing and their metro's population have both gone up about 10% in population since 2000. The economies there are pretty solid and diversified. This growth has been countered though by losses in other areas, particularly in Northeastern Ohio and some other smaller metros.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:46 AM

405 posts, read 1,215,612 times
Losses? The population of Northeast Ohio is not growing much, but it did gain by something like 0.3%. This is stagnant growth, not losses.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:48 AM

405 posts, read 1,215,612 times
To help the OP, where in Egnland do you currently live? What are your priorities in looking for a place to live? Do you prefer urban, suburban, or rural areas? What type of jobs will you be looking for?

Old 05-07-2009, 09:16 AM

5 posts, read 10,553 times
we currently live in Nottingham, England. ironically known as the worst place to live for crime. i want to get my family away from this life and have a much better life in what is IMO the best country in the world, USA. me and my partner will both be teachers (Math & English). i'm quite relaxed as to where we live (although by the lakes would be very nice). my partner has a friend that lives in Kent, ohio would you have any opinions as to what that area is like? we have heard Akron is very nice but more of a place for students?

I want to thank everyone for the fast and great comments (this excludes bbb3601!, what was the flippin point). we have looked into the three c's as they are the most known areas in this country and it's nice to know they are good places to live. this is part of the reason we want to move to america, the people are much more friendly and welcoming.

my partner has pale skin and suffers when it gets really hot, is that an issue in ohio?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio