Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Neighbor Do you Hate
Indiana 7 23.33%
Kentucky 4 13.33%
West Virginia 6 20.00%
Pennsylvania 4 13.33%
Michigan 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:08 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
You know I must retract this statement.

I watched a program on TV last night and they were talking about those Michigan turn-a-rounds. And they found that instead of trying to make a left turn off a street crossing traffic to do it, or crossing over a street to go strait. That it was much safer and you spent less time at a light or stop sign if you make a right turn, going down a ways then flipping back to the left. You save more fuel and wasted less time. I guess UPS did some research on the matter and found that they saved a ton of money in fuel by making most if not all their routes in a right turn pattern. So maybe Michigan isn't so stupid after all .
Despite all I've heard about Michigan's Commercial Vehicle Enforcement, I've never been so much as stopped, so "Knock on wood". I actually like the idea of LARGE signs that tell you the name of the next intersection in the cities and I'm also fond of the blinking red left turn traffic lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 10:32 AM

901 posts, read 2,387,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
That strip between Detroit and Monroe, Michigan on I-75 looks like a chemical dump wasteland. It is ugly as hell.

I'm not talking about that part of Michigan, and can't really comment about that part of the state anyway because I've never been there.

I'm talking about I-75 north of Saginaw. Very pretty country up there.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:51 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,904,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
I'm not talking about that part of Michigan, and can't really comment about that part of the state anyway because I've never been there.

I'm talking about I-75 north of Saginaw. Very pretty country up there.
Oh no lol I know. Just that part came to mind. There is a lot of great scenery in Michigan, but also a lot of bad if you have traveled the state regularly. Between Lansing and Flint is pretty bad, and Flint to Detroit is nasty too.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:49 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I love the Hoosier state. I just hate their traffic laws and the VISCIOUS enforcement of them to generate revenue.
How are they different from Ohio traffic laws? Ohio isn't lax in enforcement either -- just ask truckers. I know firsthand, too, based on my interaction with a state trooper in Paulding County.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
That strip between Detroit and Monroe, Michigan on I-75 looks like a chemical dump wasteland. It is ugly as hell.
Seems harsh. Yes, you see several factories (most notably the Mazda plant at Flat Rock), but also a lot of farms. I don't see how this looks any different from much of NW Ohio.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:57 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
How are they different from Ohio traffic laws? Ohio isn't lax in enforcement either -- just ask truckers. I know firsthand, too, based on my interaction with a state trooper in Paulding County.
My experience (14 years) in a big truck is that OH law enforcement is fair and reasonable. I've gotten ONE ticket in OH (which I deserved...) I believe the signage is easy to understand (even in construction zones )and not unfair to truckers. OTOH, I deliver in IN on a regular basis and my observations are:

1. The first 12 or so miles of I-65 in IN North of Louisville is 3 lanes wide and has wide shoulders (all the better to write traffic tickets on..) Speed limit: 55. I saw FOUR cops in the first 6 miles last Thanksgiving morning and four of them were writing.

2. The speed limit signs in construction zones change frequently, many times with no real reason. There is a 22-mile section of I-70 East of Indy that has only a couple of small projects working. Yet they can get the "enhanced" violation rates when they stop you anywhere in that "construction" zone...

Trucks are restricted from the left lane ON EVERY INTERSTATE HIGHWAY IN THE HOOSIER. Even the two lane sections. Truck lane restrictions actually make the highway LESS safe but they're a great revenue enhancement tool.

Like I said, I love the Hoosier but for what, from my experience is one of the most, if not the most agressive "revenue enhancement" states in the U.S.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Seems harsh. Yes, you see several factories (most notably the Mazda plant at Flat Rock), but also a lot of farms. I don't see how this looks any different from much of NW Ohio.
Because it is just downright depressing. It is an observation, it is what I noticed. I have seen worse in Indiana as well.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Because it is just downright depressing. It is an observation, it is what I noticed. I have seen worse in Indiana as well.
Gary for sure. My observation is that much of northern Indiana, NW Ohio and southern Michigan are pretty much alike.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Gary for sure. My observation is that much of northern Indiana, NW Ohio and southern Michigan are pretty much alike.
NW Ohio and Northern Indiana have more in common than southern Michigan in my opinion.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:59 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,094,681 times
Quote:
Ok, I got a huge kick out of this a while back. I noticed in the PA forum they had this. It was ammusing to read their posts, and figured it would be interesting to post here. One forumer had an extreme hatred for Ohio, and they never were able to prove their point. They took all the problems they had for Ohio and assumed Ohioans had the same exact problem with PA. So I am interested to see what states you have a problem with, or maybe DON'T have a problem with. Do you even care about Kentucky or West Virginia? Is Indiana nothing but cornfields to you? Is Michigan a jobless wasteland? Is Pennsylvania full of hicks and people who think they are better than everyone else? What are you opinions about our "neighbors"?
Geez, you should report your findings back on the PA thread. After 4 pages of responses, not one negative comment about PA. You should post your findings on the PA thread so whoever started the PA thread will realize that maybe there isn't as much anti-PA sentiment in OH as he/she believes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio