Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 10:12 AM

913 posts, read 2,363,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
With all this being sais and done, isn't Ohio still a (Work at Will State), and not a state with the (Right to Work Law)? Just wondering and I'm really no for , nor am I against the SB5, I just like to look at things from both sides. Even though I'm a fan for the unions they pay out huge bonus's after their sorry cans were bailed out with our tax dallors.

The unions did not pay out any bonuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 10:14 AM

16,554 posts, read 19,725,221 times
I don't get the healthcare stats some of you are throwing out. Maybe the CMSD (Cleveland Schools) has some of the better benefits, because my best friend is a Science teacher in Cleveland and even he can't believe how cheap his healthcare is.
$30/paycheck.
For a family of 4.

Damn right I want to be a teacher in Cleveland. hehehehe

Old 02-25-2011, 10:27 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,151,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
The unions did not pay out any bonuses.

I know, but they could have stood together and refused the ones they handed out the the blur collar lines and showed America what being working class is truly all about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I don't get the healthcare stats some of you are throwing out. Maybe the CMSD (Cleveland Schools) has some of the better benefits, because my best friend is a Science teacher in Cleveland and even he can't believe how cheap his healthcare is.
$30/paycheck.
For a family of 4.

Are you wanting to pack a gun while working there, lol. Just kidding

Old 02-25-2011, 10:45 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,508,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I know, but they could have stood together and refused the ones they handed out the the blur collar lines and showed America what being working class is truly all about.

[/color][/b]
Now you have me confused. How could the public employees unions ( the ones being attacked in SB5) have refused bonuses being given out in the private sector? And where were the politicians who want to blame this on the public workers when the Wall Street big-wigs were collecting their Millions (Billions?) in bonuses and bailouts as the stock market was crashing around us, taking with it the investments of the working middle class (Retirement investments, 401Ks, IRAs, etc.)?

Old 02-25-2011, 11:06 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,151,238 times
Look at the posts in #110 and #111 and you'll see were chit chatting about what other unions did, that's all.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
$30/paycheck.
For a family of 4.

That's a lot cheaper than all the teachers I talked with. I think the cheapest family plan I heard of was about $100 month. But it's all relative. You pay less for health insurance and in many cases you get less salary. You can't compare just one part of the package. It would not surprise if the benefits in the Cleveland Schools were pretty good. Look at their working conditions.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:58 PM

16,554 posts, read 19,725,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
That's a lot cheaper than all the teachers I talked with. I think the cheapest family plan I heard of was about $100 month. But it's all relative. You pay less for health insurance and in many cases you get less salary. You can't compare just one part of the package. It would not surprise if the benefits in the Cleveland Schools were pretty good. Look at their working conditions.
Not really comparing the whole package... just mentioning that one thing.
They get A LOT of sick time... I think my buddy is up to 25 days already... he's been there for 3 years.
He gets paid better then he would in any other county district.

CMSD teachers have it good. Yes, the conditions do warrant it. He has a couple.. shall we say "rough" kids in his classes. But the vast majority of them are good kids hungry for an education.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Not really comparing the whole package... just mentioning that one thing.
They get A LOT of sick time... I think my buddy is up to 25 days already... he's been there for 3 years.
He gets paid better then he would in any other county district.

CMSD teachers have it good. Yes, the conditions do warrant it. He has a couple.. shall we say "rough" kids in his classes. But the vast majority of them are good kids hungry for an education.
That's another thing in SB5 I think is very short sighted. It prohibits teachers from accumulating sick days. Currently, teachers get 15 sick days a year and they can accumulate if they do not use them. There are very few teachers who use all 15 days a year, so most teachers have a lot saved up. So if they are not allowed to accumulate sick days, then they may as well use all 15 every year. That means the school district will need to hire more subs during the course of the year. This is going to cost a lot of money. And before some of you start complaining that 15 sick days a year is too much. Think about this. If you reduce their number of sick days, they will end up going to school when they shouldn’t. When they are sick. Then you kid gets sick. Then you can stay home with your sick kid.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:25 PM

72 posts, read 115,321 times
The vast majority of teacher's sick days that they get never get used but as was mentioned in the last post SB5 would probably change that. Almost all of the teachers that I work with that have been in the district for 30+ years have 300-400 sick days left or more. I have 10 years in and have over 125 accumulated. if you figure that each of those sick days unused saves the district $75-110 a day if teachers use them or lose them it will almost certainly cost each district more now than the Governor wants to save. Additionally, the state already hasn't met its obligations (derolph {sic} case has 4 times said that the state is responsible to fund public education but has not even matched 50% even with the lottery monies) This bill will not even dent the state budget but will adversly effect education for the children of the state. The costs that will be addressed by the bill are already being picked up by the local school districts not the state. The facts are that this is a political move to prop up the Republican party by hurting those that support the other party. While the Democrats have their own demons and issues the Rupublican governors are using thier political office (a position that is supposed to represent all state members) for personal and party gain. People of both parties should be furious (especially the Tea Party since they are against government abuse and power) but they arn't at this point since they are not the targets...yet. Once again, I question how any working person would support those in office and their bills that harm other working people to save millions for the rich (those that Kascich said that he would not raise taxes on "on my watch") rather he seeks to create tax free zones to lure business robbing more areas of taxation forcing the bills down the line to the working class. We will all pay out of our already thinning wallets to pad the richest of our country/state. It's time to stop licking the bootheels of the wealty and take OUR country back or reprise the robber barron days of the late 19th century.

Last edited by Droolrockworm; 02-25-2011 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-26-2011, 02:29 PM

I think they are scheduled to vote for SB5 on Tuesday. It looks like passage could take away federal money.

Ohio collective bargaining overhaul could jeopardize federal transit money | cleveland.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio