Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 03:43 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I guess there's something wrong with me. I bust my butt driving a truck every day. I make pretty good money. Even if I didn't have a teacher spouse or a military penison, I have no problem with public sector unions OR what public employees earn. I have no envy; if I'd wanted to teach or run into burning buildings, I would've done so when I was young. people who, perform those valuable services SHOULD be well-compensated. What I DO want is for the politicians to quit taxing me and redistributing it to worthless government programs, duplication of efforts across multiple agencies and hiring only the workers we REALLY need....
This is what I've been saying, too. There is a lot of waste in government, a lot of bureaucratic pencil-pushers whose positions could easily be eliminated. So why are we going after the people that actually provide a direct service in return for our tax dollars?

Teachers, firefighters, and police officers are an easy target and a lot of this is purely political.

Last edited by Crew Chief; 03-02-2011 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 11:09 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times
As it is being witnessed, the backlash will be immense. They ain't seen nothing yet. We're heading back to the days of the "blue flu." Only this time, everyone with a vested interest will participate.

I heard today that Tim Grendell (a republican state senator who will apparently be voting against SB 5) said that SB 5 is based in little more than retribution against whom Kasich and his disciples believe are their political adversaries. It has virtually nothing to do with saving the "taxpayers" even a nickel.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:50 AM

913 posts, read 2,362,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
As it is being witnessed, the backlash will be immense. They ain't seen nothing yet. We're heading back to the days of the "blue flu." Only this time, everyone with a vested interest will participate.

I heard today that Tim Grendell (a republican state senator who will apparently be voting against SB 5) said that SB 5 is based in little more than retribution against whom Kasich and his disciples believe are their political adversaries. It has virtually nothing to do with saving the "taxpayers" even a nickel.
That's true. Supposedly, the bill eliminates all the accumulated sick leave for teachers, but the bill will not go into effect for 90 days after passage. If this passes in the next few weeks, think we will see any teachers for the rest of the year?

I do think this is retribution, also. And I think it will pass. If it does not pass, that would be a major screw up of the Ohio Republican leadership. It will pass on a 17-16 vote. Six Republican senators, in strong union districts, will be allowed to vote no. But it will not matter.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:21 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
That's true. Supposedly, the bill eliminates all the accumulated sick leave for teachers, but the bill will not go into effect for 90 days after passage. If this passes in the next few weeks, think we will see any teachers for the rest of the year?

I do think this is retribution, also. And I think it will pass. If it does not pass, that would be a major screw up of the Ohio Republican leadership. It will pass on a 17-16 vote. Six Republican senators, in strong union districts, will be allowed to vote no. But it will not matter.
That's OK, Davery; can you say "REFERENDUM"?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
That's OK, Davery; can you say "REFERENDUM"?
That's what I have been reading about also. Can you imagine the amount of corporate money that will be coming into the state in the fall?

That's why I heard this has been rushed. The Republicans know this will end up as a referendum. They want to make sure it is on the ballot in 2011, rather than the presidential election year of 2012. Anyone know what the cut off date is for a state referendum getting on the November ballot?

Last edited by davery5872; 03-02-2011 at 12:08 PM..

Old 03-02-2011, 12:18 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times
Quote:
That's what I have been reading about also. Can you imagine the amount of corporate money that will be coming into the state in the fall?

That's why I heard this has been rushed. The Republicans know this will end up as a referendum. They want to make sure it is on the ballot in 2011, rather than the presidential election year of 2012. Anyone know what the cut off date is for a state referendum getting on the November ballot?
I've heard that, too. I think the cutoff is April or May.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:26 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,504,048 times
Here is the section for filing deadlines.

"The petition must be filed with the Secretary of State within ninety (90) days after the law or section of law to be referred has been filed with the Secretary of State by the Governor. If the petition is found to be valid, the law or section of law will not go into effect unless it is approved by a majority of the voters at the first regular or general election which occurs more than sixty (60) days after the petition is filed. Petition must be accompanied by filing fee of twenty-five dollars ($25). "

This was from Procedure for a Statewide Referendum

Old 03-03-2011, 08:00 AM

It appears this is headed for a state wide referendum. The Repubs have rushed this through so it will be on the ballot this Nov., rather than Nov 2012. Get ready for massive cuts to schools in the budget coming out in a few weeks. Also, get ready for many more school levies on the ballot in Nov. It's all part of the Repub game plan. When faced with huge school levies and the referendum in Nov., Kasich is betting the voters will see the referendum as the only solution.

Oh, and you may want to buy stock in local media outlets. The amount of corporate money coming into the state to support the referendum will be staggering.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:26 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times
Quote:
Well, it's probably illegal for them to arbitrarily take away what has already been accrued. Teachers should probably wait for the results of the referendum before they do anything too over the top.

Quote:
17-16 is hardly indicates a mandate, especially when you consider party division lines. The ones voting against the grain are doing so in an effort to save their own jobs.

Speaking of the referendum, anyone who stands on the side of labor (which 99% of us should) please keep a lookout for the petition that will place an amendment to the State Constitution on the ballot which will allow for the recalling of any and all state politicians.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Speaking of the referendum, anyone who stands on the side of labor (which 99% of us should) please keep a lookout for the petition that will place an amendment to the State Constitution on the ballot which will allow for the recalling of any and all state politicians.

I like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio