Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 04:45 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,177 times

Advertisements

I don't get why people from Columbus can get so defensive about the city's college flavor. The Boston comparison is a good one; I hadn't really made that connection, though I think of Boston that way, too (as bjimmy24 says, it's stronger with Columbus). It's not a bad thing, but it is a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 11:20 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Not quite... Nothing defines Columbus more than OSU. This mega-university is the heart-and-soul of this city, and trying to pretend otherwise borders on insanity.
Whether or not you think of OSU as a big part of Columbus, the fact is that Columbus is a major city. It's not a town, it doesn't resemble a town, it has nothing remotely cultural or social in relation to a town.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
I don't get why people from Columbus can get so defensive about the city's college flavor. The Boston comparison is a good one; I hadn't really made that connection, though I think of Boston that way, too (as bjimmy24 says, it's stronger with Columbus). It's not a bad thing, but it is a thing.
Because many people attempt to use the description to suggest it is not a legitimate city. It's happened many many times on this forum. OSU is a big, influential university, no doubt about it. To suggest that's the defining or only characteristic of Columbus, however, is laughable.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:30 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Calling Columbus (a metro of 1.8 million people) a college town is insane.

While Columbus has 13 universities and colleges, a very young population (due to also many young professionals), and a rather "chill/hip" vibe; it is also a major city.

Columbus and Cincinnati are very different in terms of culture and history.

Back to the poster: Really either would be a fit. You can find laid back suburbs and areas that they would be happy in in either. Culture wise columbus may be more of a change and it has a very northern/liberal mentallity throughout the city and metro. On the other hand its a great place for families, singles, diversity, and has nice urban and suburban neighborhoods.
In your dreams bud ...

The entire universe views Columbus as one giant college town. Try wearing a Michigan jersey anywhere in the Columbus metro and see what happens. In real big cities, no one blinks an eye when you rep a non-home team. In Columbus, you'll get dirty looks at best, punched at worst.

College town.

(and I'm a big OSU fan ... Go Bucks!)

Old 02-23-2013, 03:19 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Not quite... Nothing defines Columbus more than OSU. This mega-university is the heart-and-soul of this city, and trying to pretend otherwise borders on insanity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Whether or not you think of OSU as a big part of Columbus, the fact is that Columbus is a major city. It's not a town, it doesn't resemble a town, it has nothing remotely cultural or social in relation to a town.
Such erudite distinctions between Columbus The City vs. Columbus The Town change nothing about the influence of OSU upon everything surrounding it. Other than Austin, name another major American city that is so overwhelmed by a university than is Columbus. (Just look at the front page of any Dispatch--there's never a day w/o seeing SOMETHING about OSU, whether it be sports, E. Gordon Gee, medical research, admission policies, student housing, or campus safety, etc.) City, town, village or hamlet--no matter. OSU possesses Columbus.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:13 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Without OSU, Columbus is not Columbus. Without Harvard, MIT, BC, BU, Northeastern, Brandeis, Suffolk, UMass, Tufts, Berkley, Boston is not Boston. It is not a bad thing to have one of the best universities in the country. I guess it depends on how you say the phrase "College town." Vocal intonation is key. But why is it demeaning to be known for having college-educated people? Call it "College City" maybe. I would say, Columbus is not a place like Athens, Oberlin, etc.

Were I still in Columbus, I would much prefer "College Town" to the other C word that gets thrown around a lot, "Cowtown."

Last edited by bjimmy24; 02-23-2013 at 08:24 AM..

Old 02-23-2013, 08:21 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
In your dreams bud ...

The entire universe views Columbus as one giant college town. Try wearing a Michigan jersey anywhere in the Columbus metro and see what happens. In real big cities, no one blinks an eye when you rep a non-home team. In Columbus, you'll get dirty looks at best, punched at worst.

College town.

What's funny is, if you wear a Michigan jersey on campus, nobody will say a thing about it to you. Used to see people from out of town thinking it's funny touring OSU campus with Michigan stuff. Were they harassed? Nope. Turns out, we had classes, homework, papers, exams and stuff that we cared about more than what a random person decided to put on in the morning. The Michigan-hatred is really just this kind of football exclusive, manufactured rage that is visible for roughly one week out of the year.

The points about Gee, OSU football, etc being everywhere are pretty true though.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:43 AM

249 posts, read 609,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
In your dreams bud ...

College town.

This is completely false and nothing but a blankent statement. There are many Michigan fans in Columbus in fact there are many who have no affiliation with OSU who reside in Columbus.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:42 AM

This thread has gotten way off topic.

The fact is that OSU absolutely is an influential and positive force for Columbus. That I'm not in disagreement with. But it's FAR from the only one, but no one seems to remember that. Again, this is just another way for a few people with a chip on their shoulder everytime this comparison comes up to imply Columbus isn't a real city.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:51 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
This thread has gotten way off topic.

The fact is that OSU absolutely is an influential and positive force for Columbus. That I'm not in disagreement with. But it's FAR from the only one, but no one seems to remember that. Again, this is just another way for a few people with a chip on their shoulder everytime this comparison comes up to imply Columbus isn't a real city.
Most certainly this thread has gotten "off-topic," but not because the original concern hasn't been answered...

Matter of fact is that the OP would probably be delighted living in either one of these two dynamic, thriving Ohio cities, but this Texas family needs to realize that these cities are DISTINCTIVELY DIFFERENT and that a critique of one doesn't necessarily imply a "chip on the shoulder." Most often, it's the recipient's best defense and his/her subsequent, manufactured denial that befuddles and muddles the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio