Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:09 PM

383 posts, read 512,853 times

Advertisements

Growing up, Columbus was the city my parents and I drove thru from Cleveland to Cincinnati to visit relatives. Interstate 71 thru Columbus never showed much of the city and I always assumed it it was not as great compared to the other larger metros. Now after living here as an adult for 9 years, I love this place.
From the outside looking in, Columbus seems sort of blah and lacking history but once you dig in and figure out it's past and what it offers, it really is a great city.
I was hoping to find out whether you think Columbus is reaching the same level as Cincinnati and Cleveland. This could mean many things, but mainly does Columbus stack up to the other cities in 2013 or does it have a while to go.
I personally would place it about a half step below. The public transportation is still lacking and it's core is still slow to remove surface lots, though many new buildings are being built or proposed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 10:48 PM

368 posts, read 638,905 times
columbus has been on the same level for a long time now to be honest,and in alot of ways is surpassing the older big brothers,25 years from now columbus will be dominant not only in ohio but the region as well,with indianapolis also surpassing the older cities.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:47 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
As an outsider to Ohio, Columbus does seem on par with these two cities for nitelife, food, gallery hopping, etc.

For the SOB type of culture (Symphony, Opera, Ballet) + musuems, probably Cincy and Clevo are more established, more of a legacy...tho I am pumped by the Wexner as a more avant garde/modern venue/cutural center...Wexner is a big assett to Cols...and that art museum downtown has had some great shows, too...

Old 11-14-2013, 06:10 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
As an outsider to Ohio, Columbus does seem on par with these two cities for nitelife, food, gallery hopping, etc.

For the SOB type of culture (Symphony, Opera, Ballet) + musuems, probably Cincy and Clevo are more established, more of a legacy...tho I am pumped by the Wexner as a more avant garde/modern venue/cutural center...Wexner is a big assett to Cols...and that art museum downtown has had some great shows, too...
The Wexner Center failed pretty hard in design, in my opinion. It is one of the most unapproachable buildings I've seen. Where exactly do you enter? I don't know, it just seems pretentious to me.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:19 AM

22 posts, read 32,039 times
Columbus can certainly hold its own, but I have to say that art museum is in desperate need of an expansion. Both the Cincinnati and Cleveland art museums have far larger collections and both have free admission. Overall though I have really enjoyed the time I've spent in Columbus and I look forward to it getting even better.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Both the Cincinnati and Cleveland art museums have far larger collections and both have free admission
Agree.. & a good example of how Cols was "Cowtown" back in the day.....but they make up for it with the shows they host. That George Tooker show was pretty awesome, and I saw a great abstract expressionist show there, too (a lot of Franz Kine's work, one of my fave painters).

Old 11-14-2013, 08:14 AM

490 posts, read 864,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCincinnatiSir View Post
Columbus can certainly hold its own, but I have to say that art museum is in desperate need of an expansion. Both the Cincinnati and Cleveland art museums have far larger collections and both have free admission. Overall though I have really enjoyed the time I've spent in Columbus and I look forward to it getting even better.
Interestingly enough, the museum is currently being expanded. They just started construction. Still, even with the expansion, it won't be on the same level as those in Cleveland or Cincinnati. Those cities boomed much earlier than Columbus, so the cultural institutions in those cities are larger and more mature. Same thing with sports, Cleveland and Cincinnati were larger earlier so they got the NFL and MLB teams. Columbus finally got a pro sports team with the NHL Blue Jackets, though the NHL certainly doesn't command the same national following as the NFL and MLB.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:16 AM

490 posts, read 864,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The Wexner Center failed pretty hard in design, in my opinion. It is one of the most unapproachable buildings I've seen. Where exactly do you enter? I don't know, it just seems pretentious to me.
It's really odd-looking and doesn't fit in at all on OSU's campus. If I recall correctly, the Wexner's design was meant to mimic a beautiful old building that once stood in its place, though you'd hardly know it.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:34 AM

^
The building was an old armory, which is mimiced in the brick part that faces the Oval. The balance of the musuem was inserted between pre-existing buildings. Sort of a clever approach to a tight site.

The same architect did the convention center, and he did a good job of livening up what would be a monotonous facade via various patternmaking strategies and breaking up the mass of the building.

That OSU & Cols did indeed commission this architect (who was quite avant garde at the time) to do these hi-viz buildings sends a good signal that they are willing to go outside the box, eschewing the conventional solution for something risky and innovative.

A good move for Columbus, and put that city on the map.

Another good move was the Arena District.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:24 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
^
The building was an old armory, which is mimiced in the brick part that faces the Oval. The balance of the musuem was inserted between pre-existing buildings. Sort of a clever approach to a tight site.

The same architect did the convention center, and he did a good job of livening up what would be a monotonous facade via various patternmaking strategies and breaking up the mass of the building.

That OSU & Cols did indeed commission this architect (who was quite avant garde at the time) to do these hi-viz buildings sends a good signal that they are willing to go outside the box, eschewing the conventional solution for something risky and innovative.

A good move for Columbus, and put that city on the map.

Another good move was the Arena District.
The Wex isn't risky or innovatine. It's poorly designed. Part of me doesn't really like the arena district either, it's just all too much the same, though I guess overall it's not bad. There are other neighborhoods that are even more fabricated and homogenous looking, like the Seaport District in Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio