Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 07:26 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
you are participating in this thread. you left massillon and canton.
When have I posted negatively about Massillon/Canton? My posts about that area have been neutral or positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
the point is that you do not acknowledge your own self-interest.

you may disagree with me, but at least my position is immediately clear and i do not get any social or financial benefit from expressing it. .
Since I've never hidden the fact that I live here, I thought that was understood. (like every other poster on this site who writes positively about where they live...)

Quote:
that is one more crime than most people would want to deal with when moving to a
new area.

it is also not something that you do not mention often when discussing
youngstown.
No one wants to deal with crime. But it's not something that can be avoided. I also don't often mention that many of my relatives, who live in the Canton/Massillon suburbs, have also had to deal with burglary and theft.

My point is that, if you're not a drug dealer or gang member, the amount of crime you'd deal with in Youngstown isn't that different than the amount of crime you'd deal with in any other city. Contrary to--seemingly--popular belief, you won't get shot when you cross that imaginary line into the city.

Quote:
the lack of insurance enforcement speaks to a strained police force that has
more important crimes to worry about.
What lack of enforcement are you talking about? Can you provide a source?

Quote:
half is an unacceptably large percentage
of scofflaws for any area.
sadly, if there were any decent employment
opportunities the number of
people without that insurance would decrease because
fewer people would be
stuck having to make hard decisions between auto insurance
and other bills
Again, I agree it's too high. Again, where has it been established that this problem is unique to Youngstown? Aren't there even some states that have no-fault insurance laws, to deal with the problem of non-insured drivers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 05:14 AM

498 posts, read 1,508,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
When have I posted negatively about Massillon/Canton? My posts about that area have been neutral or positive.
don't confuse the issue. most of the strident pro-yoers came to youngstown from somewhere else. maybe those other towns don't need gentrified?
Quote:
Since I've never hidden the fact that I live here, I thought that was understood. (like every other poster on this site who writes positively about where they live...)
you are very pro-yo, but do not acknowledge your activism as such. i understand that having everyman appeal serves your purpose. still, though, it would be better to be straight-up and tell people who do not know much about the area that you are trying to get them to move in to gentrify the place.
Quote:
No one wants to deal with crime. But it's not something that can be avoided. I also don't often mention that many of my relatives, who live in the Canton/Massillon suburbs, have also had to deal with burglary and theft.

My point is that, if you're not a drug dealer or gang member, the amount of crime you'd deal with in Youngstown isn't that different than the amount of crime you'd deal with in any other city. Contrary to--seemingly--popular belief, you won't get shot when you cross that imaginary line into the city.
is a town with big buildings really a city? does a place that has nothing going on in besides adult kickball and growing large pumpkins actually that interesting? can an area that does not have good job opportunities a
Quote:
What lack of enforcement are you talking about? Can you provide a source?
if drivers knew that they would get in trouble in youngstown for driving without insurance more would probably buy that insurance. as is, ypd have other felonies to concern themselves with.
Quote:
Again, I agree it's too high.
i am glad that we can finally agree on something.
Quote:
Again, where has it been established that this problem is unique to Youngstown?
the amount of crime, not the novelty of crimes perpetrated, is what is shocking to outsiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio