Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 08:23 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,083,660 times

Advertisements

Hey how affordable is Newark? Is there any nice houses in safe neighboorhoods for under $50k? I realize Newark costs twice as much as Oil city but its a better location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 03:20 PM

976 posts, read 3,860,735 times
Well Newark is not as expensive as some of the smaller towns around the city itself such as Heath and New Albany. Gahanna, a Columbus suburb, is close to Newark and not near as expensive as the three towns i mentioned.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:43 PM

11 posts, read 162,819 times
Default Neighborhoods in Newark

Every town as big as Newark has bad parts of town. We're thinking of moving to Newark, so...does anyone know what the better and worse parts of Newark are?

Old 01-07-2007, 04:03 PM

11 posts, read 162,819 times
I found out the answer to my own question when visiting. Basically, right around downtown is pretty bad, and generally, south and east aren't so good. There are some VERY fancy houses up north, and the west side is better.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:19 PM

976 posts, read 3,860,735 times
So i take it your leaning towards the north side?

Old 03-05-2007, 11:31 AM

6 posts, read 26,253 times
Default lived in ohio

I've lived in the central Ohio area all my life. There is NO helmet law if you are over the age of 18. The top 2 school districts in the Licking County area are Granville and Heath City. Avoid the East end of Newark, Heath is spectacular. River Oaks and the Woodlands are great housing developments. Granville offers super housing too, although the cost is quite a bit more than the city of Newark or Heath areas. Heath has a mall, Target and a Super Wal-Mart. Newark is booming and traffic on 21st street is a MESS!! The Natoma in downtown Newark is good as is Park Place Coffee Roasters. We have recently passed a NON SMOKING law in all public places as well!! Feel free to ask me anything else...I'm sure I'll know "something" about it.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:26 PM

226 posts, read 297,965 times
I wish you had had the chance to check out Granville, a cute walkable college town with outdoor cafes and such, so close to Newark. A bike trail connects Granville to Newark and I believe to the Blackhand gorge area on the east side of Newark as well. The Newark area is a great location, and nearby Heath is one of the better areas to live and do your everyday shopping. Check with the local police to know which neighborhoods are safest. A good realtor can steer you in the right direction as well. The entire NE area of Columbus is booming, from Westerville (another walkable uptown area with outdoor cafes) that is growing in popularity with seniors, to New Albany (upscale and growing in leaps and bounds--probably Columbus's most preferred area) and Johnstown (very small town with newer housing developments).

You will be close enough to Columbus to enjoy all that the big city has to offer, including it's great metroparks and nature centers and it's shopping districts and eateries (Easton Mall on the east side and Polaris Parkway on the north side with it's fashion mall and brand new Costco). Be sure to eat at Hoggy's and Chick-fil-A. Google them for locations.

Licking County Memorial Hospital in Newark is reputed to be one of the top 100 small town hospitals. Beautiful Dawes Arboretum is located a few miles south of Newark. If you like homestyle cooking, be sure to eat at Clark's Dining Room (google it's website) in Jacksontown, just south of Newark. You'll probably have a hard time finding a place to park and will have to wait in line, but the food is worth it.

You will be centrally located to all Ohio has to offer, including amusement parks Cedar Point to the North and Kings Island to the SW, Ohio's Amish Country in Holmes County to the East, and the Hocking Hills area to the South if you enjoy hiking in rugged terrain. If you are into water sports, Ohio is almost surrounded by water--Lake Erie to the north, and the Ohio River to the east and south.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 17,060 times
ok well the north side of newark is the worst and the west side of town is the best avoid the north and east sides as much as possible youll find nice homes in all areas of the city you just gotta drive farther away from dowtown to find them any other questions just ask

Old 05-16-2007, 06:26 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,531,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna rider View Post
I have a possibility of relocating to Newark, OH and am not familiar with what to expect. I'm originally from Long Island, NY but relocated to Florence, SC (not recommended) 3+ years ago. Information about the area is much appreciated. Things of interest are neighborhoods, shopping, food, weather, local activities (car shows - Motorcycle events), etc. Also, is there a helmet law in OH? Are there diners, bakeries, delicatessens, coffeehouses and non-chain restaraunts? Also, I'm looking for a realistic view, so feel free to mention the good, the bad and the ugly. Thanks.
Hey, Dyna Rider, the AMA (American Motorcycle Association ) is headquartered in nearby Pickerington, OH. You can see their building on the South side of I-70 near Exit 112!)

Last edited by Crew Chief; 05-16-2007 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: Don't want a pickle, just correctly spell "motor-sickle"!

Old 06-14-2007, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 11,302 times
Red face Newark

My husband and I moved to Newark from Florida 2 years ago. We found a little cluster home, ( didn't want condo, but condo amenities ) in a very convenient area. A little cottage in the woods and so cute. A busy area but the convenience of shopping can't be beat.

We love Newark. The courthouse square is just super. Driving around our area on the 21st st and sw we see many nice family neighborhoods. There is always unfortunately rundown areas in most cities, but I see much more good than bad.

We have traffic on 21st St but that's because it's where folks are going.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio