Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:27 PM

23 posts, read 46,105 times

Advertisements

After the passing of mom recently and not having anything else left for me in Florida, my girlfriends family has been trying to get me to move up there. I've been looking for a way out of Florida for a number of years and now I have the opportunity and I'm going to go for it. I'll be heading that way at the end of March.

The "older" I get the more I am really beginning to dislike the pervasive year round heat and humidity. I always look forward to the 3-4 weeks of the year when we finally get "cold" (under 50F, hah!). I have never considered myself a Florida boy though I've lived there most of my life. I was born and lived a few years in Geneva/Aurora, IL but moved down to Florida sometime in the mid 80s. ('86 I think). I'm only 32 now, and have been doing electrical work for the last 9 years for the same company doing a multitude of work. I'm more content with web development (php/mysql), and the geeky techical side of things "doing electrical". Definitely not a partygoer, or stay-out-late problematic thug.

So do ya'll (I had to ) have anything to tell me specifically about Marblehead and what the job environment, and general living is like? I only know what I've been told by my girlfriend and her mom but I also want others opinions. I live in Jacksonville, FL (one of the largest land-area incorporated cities in the USA) so its no big deal to drive 35 miles one way to go to the store then another 35 miles back home and never leave Jacksonville.

Thanks for any tidbits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 10:29 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,626,593 times
Marblehead is a tourist area in the summer.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:19 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,710,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGCJerry View Post
After the passing of mom recently and not having anything else left for me in Florida, my girlfriends family has been trying to get me to move up there. I've been looking for a way out of Florida for a number of years and now I have the opportunity and I'm going to go for it. I'll be heading that way at the end of March.

The "older" I get the more I am really beginning to dislike the pervasive year round heat and humidity. I always look forward to the 3-4 weeks of the year when we finally get "cold" (under 50F, hah!). I have never considered myself a Florida boy though I've lived there most of my life. I was born and lived a few years in Geneva/Aurora, IL but moved down to Florida sometime in the mid 80s. ('86 I think). I'm only 32 now, and have been doing electrical work for the last 9 years for the same company doing a multitude of work. I'm more content with web development (php/mysql), and the geeky techical side of things "doing electrical". Definitely not a partygoer, or stay-out-late problematic thug.

So do ya'll (I had to ) have anything to tell me specifically about Marblehead and what the job environment, and general living is like? I only know what I've been told by my girlfriend and her mom but I also want others opinions. I live in Jacksonville, FL (one of the largest land-area incorporated cities in the USA) so its no big deal to drive 35 miles one way to go to the store then another 35 miles back home and never leave Jacksonville.

Thanks for any tidbits.
It's a small village and tourist town. There are next to no jobs expect in the summer...and most of them will be driving towards Catawba and Port Clinton...or even Sandusky...many drive to Toledo. Most of the local jobs deal with partying tourists and don't pay well.

Don't get me wrong...it's a great place, I grew up on Catawba....but it doesn't sound like what you are really looking for.

Come up for a visit...I promise you'll have fund if you want to...but you might see that it really isn't what you are expecting.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:27 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,181,084 times
What everyone else said, plus it has several pockets of private summer (and year round) homes where rich people congregate. It's probably not the best area if you want a good paying job. But, if you're willing to drive 50 miles, you should definitely be able to find a good job in your line of work.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:57 PM

154 posts, read 606,491 times
Get used to the cold too when you're here.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
What everyone else said, plus it has several pockets of private summer (and year round) homes where rich people congregate. It's probably not the best area if you want a good paying job. But, if you're willing to drive 50 miles, you should definitely be able to find a good job in your line of work.
Are you thinking of Lakeside? It's a historic community on Marblehead - and I know people that live there aren't all rich. It is gated due to the unique way it started (as a Methodist retreat - it's still part of the that church - but you only really notice that during conference time) but it's possible to go into Lakeside and they have many public programs.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:18 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
If you want to follow family up there, that's reason enough, but it has it's drawbacks. As a former Ohioan with family in Marblehead, I can tell you the sun doesn't shine from October till May, and it's deadly dull there. The winters are bitter and snowy. It is pretty in the summer, but everyone in Marblehead wishes they lived in Jacksonville.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:18 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,148,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If you want to follow family up there, that's reason enough, but it has it's drawbacks. As a former Ohioan with family in Marblehead, I can tell you the sun doesn't shine from October till May, and it's deadly dull there. The winters are bitter and snowy. It is pretty in the summer, but everyone in Marblehead wishes they lived in Jacksonville.
Not true, its actually, "@*$% COLD" in Marblehead!!!!! LOL. But it is nice in the summer time with all there is to do in the area, winery's, Cider Point, the islands, lots of camping, fishing, the glazier groves from the last ice age and the Perry's monument.

I just won't swim in lake Erie,

Old 02-08-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Not true, its actually, "@*$% COLD" in Marblehead!!!!! LOL. But it is nice in the summer time with all there is to do in the area, winery's, Cider Point, the islands, lots of camping, fishing, the glazier groves from the last ice age and the Perry's monument.

I just won't swim in lake Erie,
Why won't you swim in Lake Erie? The Lake is the cleanest it's been in decades. You have to watch some of the beaches due to their location and currently, bacteria can build up in localized areas....but the Lake is quite safe to swim in.

You really don't like the area do you?

Old 02-10-2014, 10:07 AM

154 posts, read 606,491 times
It's ice fishing season on Lake Erie now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio