Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 05:34 PM

27 posts, read 76,838 times

Advertisements

I'm writing in hopes that you can point me into the correct direction of contacting someone that can answer a few questions, as we are new into the state of Ohio. I understand about Ohio / Youngstown zoning laws, but I am concerned that our request for a zoning reclassification is being bulked upon. I live on Jacobs Road, near the lake, and it's my understanding that our property, and most in this portion of Jacobs Road was classified as RA, instead of R-12, or R-20 due to the changes when the prison was built. Most of the properties in our area is single family homes with no intentions of being turned into apartment buildings, as far as I have discovered. I applied for a zoning change and had a hearing infront of the planning board, whom denied the reclassification to move from RA to R-12 zoning. I do understand that I will still be scheduled for a hearing infront of City Hall. My main reason of asking for a change in zoning was because our use of horses for local transportation and we were asking for permission to bring our two cart horses onto the property. As allowed in R-12, Agriculture is permitted on 3+ acres, and we currently reside on 4 acres and will be going under sales agreement contract for the 5.5 acres adjacent to our property that is currently being used as a vacant wooded lot and dumping lot for tires, bottles and garbage. We did not know the process of the planning boards hearing, so we were totally unprepared and didn't realize that anyone, either in favor, or not, could attend and be heard. My main question: Besides walking into each of the neighbors yards, and knocking on their doors, which I feel would be very
unsafe, since I have not been introduced to anyone, how can I go about getting a neighborhood opinion regarding our zoning change request. Is there anyone else that has been successful in changing the RA to R-12 zoning, and besides the neighbor that lives several houses down from us, does anyone else have horses, or light agricultural either re-zoned or grandfathered in. I understand that people have concern for their property value, but at this point in time, I do not understand how having a horse, or even a small home-based business next door would cause a decrease in their land value, when one of the allowed land use options would be an apartment building. The few people that I did ask this question to told me that they were under the impression that this area WAS zoned residential and not for apartments. We were very shocked at the planning boards decision to deny us the zone change and very disappointed but was told to continue on the request until we have atleast been heard infront of City Counsel. We moved into the state of Ohio a month ago, and chose our current residence because we knew that there was plenty of land available for our light agricultural ways. (10 acres between the property we have now with the option to purchase the property adjacent) If we had made a mistake and entered an area, or neighborhood that does not believe in the freedom of using your own property for happiness and well being for your own family, I'd like to hear about it now, as we will be leaving this area and moving to another. Do we have a "Neighborhood head-person" that I can get in contact with, and have a discussion with regarding the zoning issue that we are facing.
Thank You for your time of reading this and we hope to have the opportunity to clean up the dumping problem on the lot adjacent, and bring a family oriented atmosphere that so many has grown up with that has been lost in the inner-city, busy lives that we live today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 06:51 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
I think you live in the 2nd ward. Your councilman's contact information can be found here: City of Youngstown, Ohio - City Hall - Departments - City Council - Second Ward

I would assume your councilman would be able to help you, or put you in touch with someone who can.

Here is a link to the city council page with links to the contact info for all council members, and a map of the city's wards.
City of Youngstown, Ohio - City Hall - Departments - City Council

Old 06-26-2008, 07:47 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
Hmm, that's pretty cool that you have that much land in the city! I wonder if you could get the bloggers on your side if they would be able to help. I know that Phil Kidd of DEFEND YOUNGSTOWN! probably has some connections, maybe he could help you. I don't know him personally, but he's doing a lot of good for Youngstown and is part of the group revitalizing Wick Park. Also, i'm sure you've heard of the groups working on urban gardens and the like, maybe they could help as well. Here are links to their sites:

Youngstown Moxie II: How to Save a City - The Greening of Youngstown

Treez Please - Home

Grow Youngstown

Old 06-27-2008, 07:49 PM

27 posts, read 76,838 times
Smile thanks for the leads....

I've contacted several of the above mentioned, and I'm going to be meeting up with a few people from "Grow Youngstown". It seems like I have found the support that I was looking for and with your help I'm heading in the correct directions to get answers to my zoning problem. Thanks, and I'm so glad that I've been able to find a group blog forum such as this... More people need to know about it. Maybe do an invite on "Craigslist", or someplace to get the word out that there IS local people around that are willing to help! I came across the forum totally by accident, but will keep it bookmarked from now on! Thanks Again!!

Old 06-27-2008, 09:09 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIOBLIZZ View Post
I've contacted several of the above mentioned, and I'm going to be meeting up with a few people from "Grow Youngstown". It seems like I have found the support that I was looking for and with your help I'm heading in the correct directions to get answers to my zoning problem. Thanks, and I'm so glad that I've been able to find a group blog forum such as this... More people need to know about it. Maybe do an invite on "Craigslist", or someplace to get the word out that there IS local people around that are willing to help! I came across the forum totally by accident, but will keep it bookmarked from now on! Thanks Again!!
I'm so glad that those you've contacted are willing to help! I had a feeling that Grow Youngstown or one of those organizations might be interested in your plight. Please let us know what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio