Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 04:16 AM

16 posts, read 33,257 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Utah, but I was raised in Idaho. I love the open country, but at the same time I like to live within 30-45 minutes of the bigger cities. I grew accustomed to the bigger cities when I moved to Salt Lake City. Anyways, getting to the point, I am thinking of moving to Edmond within the next year or so. I will be coming down for a visit next month. I was wondering what the employment is like in the surrounding areas, mainly warehouses. I have plenty of experience in distribution and manufacturing. I also have experience in the shipping window, and supervisory positions. How difficult would it be to find a good paying job, and more importantly, how long would it take to find a job? Now, my last question for now is cost of living. How much does the average 1-2 bedroom house or apartment cost to rent?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 05:43 PM

242 posts, read 765,110 times
Most of the industrial type jobs are concentrated on the southwest and southeast sides of the metro (Hobby Lobby for example on SW 44th and Council) so Edmond might not be the best. Mustang, Yukon, OKC, Midwest City, Choctaw might be closer to where you could find employment in that profession.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:02 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,971,084 times
You're leaving Utah for Oklahoma?

...M'kay.

Well, like Norman said, the area with the Hobby Lobby center (SW OKC) is a great area for those kinds of jobs. Commuting from Edmond wouldn't be a problem, especially if you have a car with good mileage. There may be some similar things in the southern part of Edmond, but I'm not too familiar with that area in particular. You can consider Mustang or Yukon, but they're kind of trashy and ugly with billboards everywhere (especially Mustang) and litter... Heck, I was raised there, I know. Stick with Edmond.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post

...M'kay.
I know it may sound weird, but Utah can get pretty boring, especially since there's really NOTHING to do on a Sunday afternoon, and right now that's pretty much my only full day off since I work graves. I'm not religious so the whole belief system here doesn't really feel right to me I guess you would say...Also the biggest thing pushing me is noone in my family has ever really done anything or made something of themselves and I want to change that. I want to get out and live and make something of myself. It may or may not be OK that I am looking for but it's a start

Old 08-16-2011, 06:07 AM

498 posts, read 1,606,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
Is that so bad? I mean, mountains are beautiful but they are not the end all, be all of human existence. At least the big sky changes. Mountains do not.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:54 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
As for your not being religious, that's fine, but be warned that OK is a very religious state as well. It's often referred to as the buckle of the Bible belt. No, it's not LDS, and no, not everyone is religious, but one of the first questions I was asked by most of my neighbors and others I met when we moved here was "what church do you attend?" or "have you found a church home yet?". Most people here do have a very live and let live attitude, and will not shun you if you aren't a religious person. Just be prepared for the questions.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:55 PM

I don't mind questions, or any thing like that. People will believe in what they want to believe in no matter where you go. I do believe there is a god, just don't believe in religion.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:01 PM

149 posts, read 473,956 times
yea that is one of my big concerns if we move to OK..we do believe in God, and are conservative, but we just don't care for organized religion if that makes sense..

Old 08-16-2011, 11:13 PM

149 posts, read 473,956 times
okcpulse, I agree completely about the mountains..as of now we live in a canyon in CA..mountains all around us, but we barely see sunrises and no sunsets...plus only rare thunderstorms or hail, (and mild at that) so yea, it is ok, but after 33 years in this area, we would love a change...the main thing holding us back is not having any family or friends in the whole state, as our kids and grandkids are here...so this is why we keep hesitating...but oh how we want out of california...

Old 08-17-2011, 02:30 AM

I love the mountains and I am a big outdoors type of guy so I know I will miss that part since I am pretty much surrounded by mountains right now, but Utah has started to push me away from the mountains. They want to charge me to go park up in the canyon so I can go for a hike, and if I plan to camp, then it's even more, and so forth. Besides...their not as beautiful as the ones are in Idaho. Up there, they are covered in green and beauty, here in Utah, at least where I live, there is a lot of sage brush and dry grass...not so pretty and doesn't provide as much shade to actually enjoy an evening hike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City