Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 12:19 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times

Advertisements

Some good press for OKC in the KC star:

The Star’s editorial | Everything's up to date … in Oklahoma City - KansasCity.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 05:41 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I must have lots of trees that is why I don't care for Oklahoma City's climate. Bordering on the semi-arid to say the least.
It's interesting OKC's terrain is near semi-arid. Norman averages 38 inches of rain per year while Kansas City only gets 29 inches. OKC is wetter, but you also have usually a couple of rain free months during the summer in OKC while KC gets pretty reliable overnight showers in July and August. I think the distribution of the rainfall is why KC is greener, has taller trees, etc. KC also gets more snow in the winter while OKC gets more ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Tulsa wants to BE LIKE Charlotte NC , and I can say this having past thur Charlotte in 1976 Tulsa is just like that Charlotte NC.If you some day want to be like somebody you have to compare yourself to them....LOL , oh and by the way don't let Kansas City over inflate it's population it's smaller than OKC and Lil Sister TULSA combined...LOL
I wouldn't suggest Tulsa or OKC go the way of Charlotte. Cities need strong, DIVERSE economies to thrive long-term, and Charlotte had all its eggs in one basket (banking). When that sector collapses, it takes the city with it. I honestly think Charlotte is about to go through what Houston did in the 1980s. The cities doing well in this recession are cities with diversified economies.

Last edited by bchris02; 06-01-2012 at 06:45 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 07:01 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,225,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
It's interesting OKC's terrain is near semi-arid. Norman averages 38 inches of rain per year while Kansas City only gets 29 inches. OKC is wetter, but you also have usually a couple of rain free months during the summer in OKC while KC gets pretty reliable overnight showers in July and August. I think the distribution of the rainfall is why KC is greener, has taller trees, etc. KC also gets more snow in the winter while OKC gets more ice.

Where do you get the idea that Oklahoma City is near "semi-arid"? That's not remotely true.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Where do you get the idea that Oklahoma City is near "semi-arid"? That's not remotely true.
Its not, but it can appear that way sometimes especially in late summer. The rainfall averages OKC gets on paper suggests a greener terrain than what is, and a climate averaging 38 inches per year is not semi-arid, especially compared to Kansas City's 29 inches. What makes all the difference is the way the rain is distributed throughout the year. OKC gets more rainfall but its less consistent. Kansas City gets less rainfall but its pretty reliable, creating a greener terrain and taller trees.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:26 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,225,046 times
Grass can go dormant if it's too dry during the peak weeks of the summer. that's hardly arid.

It was maybe closer to arid last summer with the record heat and drought, but that heat was far and away a record and the drought is now long over.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:29 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,191,352 times
Quote:
Its not, but it can appear that way sometimes especially in late summer. The rainfall averages OKC gets on paper suggests a greener terrain than what is, and a climate averaging 38 inches per year is not semi-arid, especially compared to Kansas City's 29 inches. What makes all the difference is the way the rain is distributed throughout the year. OKC gets more rainfall but its less consistent. Kansas City gets less rainfall but its pretty reliable, creating a greener terrain and taller trees.
Your rainfall stats are completely wrong. Kc gets more rain. It's a significant amount and easily noted on about every website pertaining to rainfall.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
Your rainfall stats are completely wrong. Kc gets more rain. It's a significant amount and easily noted on about every website pertaining to rainfall.
A hobby of mine is studying climate and weather. The Wikipedia climograph showed 29 inches for the longest time but it appears the actual amount is 38 inches. I guess you can't always trust Wikipedia.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
A hobby of mine is studying climate and weather. The Wikipedia climograph showed 29 inches for the longest time but it appears the actual amount is 38 inches. I guess you can't always trust Wikipedia.
Okc can be very green but two factors make kc appear much more lush. Kc has much taller mature trees due to rainfall that is more consistent and less storms that destroy trees. The second is Bermuda grass is very difficult to maintain green color in July and August. Whereas the fescue in kc is a much deeper color. I was in okc two days ago. Its very green. Unfortunately it comes with a price. This time the price was huge hail.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:37 AM

778 posts, read 2,323,282 times
I think at this point last year, we had maybe 6 inches of rain (versus 15 inches on average), so everything was pretty brown.

In 2010, half the summer OKC was under some sort of flood warning.

I wouldn't rate OKC as particularly dry, but Central Oklahoma is on a very tight rain gradient. The average rainfall varies greatly between Shawnee and El Reno, which is like 60 miles. Any slight shift in this demarcation line between wet and dry can be the difference between OKC flooding and baking in a drought.

The clash between wet and dry climates over this area is one of the main reasons OKC has such violent weather in the springtime. Anyone who lives in OKC will get acquainted quickly with the term "dryline" in spring.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
I think at this point last year, we had maybe 6 inches of rain (versus 15 inches on average), so everything was pretty brown.

In 2010, half the summer OKC was under some sort of flood warning.

I wouldn't rate OKC as particularly dry, but Central Oklahoma is on a very tight rain gradient. The average rainfall varies greatly between Shawnee and El Reno, which is like 60 miles. Any slight shift in this demarcation line between wet and dry can be the difference between OKC flooding and baking in a drought.

The clash between wet and dry climates over this area is one of the main reasons OKC has such violent weather in the springtime. Anyone who lives in OKC will get acquainted quickly with the term "dryline" in spring.
So true. Western Oklahoma reminds me a lot of New Mexico and parts of Utah. Just without the mountains . However eastern Oklahoma resembles much of the hilly green terrain of the eastern US. I would love to know what a person who has never seen Oklahoma would think if they through Oklahoma entering in the panhandle and exited in the SE part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City