Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:14 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,378,562 times

Advertisements

As if it's anyones business anyway.

Rally Moore Oklahoma - YouTube

My personal answer would be:
People from Oklahoma are always the first to go help others when they have disasters in their state. Physically and financially. Oklahoma also gives more money to charities than any other state. If everyone moved, who would help take care of all of you guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 08:57 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,464,151 times
Jess, thank you for sharing that video with us. I especially like the part of how you feel about your animals. Ditto to that!

You deserve to be proud to be an Okie and don't let any negative comments or judgments or unwanted criticism or suggestions get you down! We've been down there and loved the people and your state! It was obvious that our areas share many of the same ethics concerning picking yourself up by your bootstraps and going on and helping anyone in need of help.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Jess, thank you for sharing that video with us. I especially like the part of how you feel about your animals. Ditto to that!

You deserve to be proud to be an Okie and don't let any negative comments or judgments or unwanted criticism or suggestions get you down! We've been down there and loved the people and your state! It was obvious that our areas share many of the same ethics concerning picking yourself up by your bootstraps and going on and helping anyone in need of help.
Thank you Jammie, but I didn't do that video. I don't know who did it. I should have made that clear, sorry.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:14 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,464,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Thank you Jammie, but I didn't do that video. I don't know who did it. I should have made that clear, sorry.
Oh sure. I understand and as I reread my post, I can see your confusion. I'm just glad that you found and shared the video with us since I hadn't seen it before.

They had an interesting story on TWC this afternoon. They explained that basements were rare because of the soil and the problems with flooding and mold that come with basements. They also talked about the reason for so few storm shelters and that the price for a small family shelter was at least 25,000. They'd even mentioned the amount of schools that have shelters and it was a very small percentage, but the cost adds at least a million dollars to the cost of construction.

It'd be nice if we could all have a tornado shelter, but at the high costs, it just won't happen in the near future. Maybe someone will invent a new type of sturdy structure that will be more cost effective?

Old 05-24-2013, 05:16 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,987,911 times
The people who spew the ignorant rhetoric don't know (or don't acknowledge) what the genuine love of and intimacy with a community is like, or how an extended community can be like or almost like family. And that's not just a few hateful people making comments, there's a whole subset of people who are like that. They tend to be very transient, even though they're highly successful (and so appear to know what they're talking about, which can mislead others). These people can move across the country without batting an eye, so they think "why do those folks still live in OK? why don't they just leave?". These types mostly don't have a solid community base with very close friends and family all around. They're the types who are maybe more difficult to get to really know. And especially outside of natural disasters, they are more likely to want the government to help the needy or people in trouble or give money rather than ever spend time helping a stranger. I don't know if they're necessarily bad (or good), but there's definitely at least two types of people in this regard and I think it explains the what seem like idiotic comments. I think the movie Sweet Home Alabama kind of depicts the two different sides I'm trying to describe.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Oh sure. I understand and as I reread my post, I can see your confusion. I'm just glad that you found and shared the video with us since I hadn't seen it before.

They had an interesting story on TWC this afternoon. They explained that basements were rare because of the soil and the problems with flooding and mold that come with basements. They also talked about the reason for so few storm shelters and that the price for a small family shelter was at least 25,000. They'd even mentioned the amount of schools that have shelters and it was a very small percentage, but the cost adds at least a million dollars to the cost of construction.

It'd be nice if we could all have a tornado shelter, but at the high costs, it just won't happen in the near future. Maybe someone will invent a new type of sturdy structure that will be more cost effective?
We have safe rooms. I don't know how much they are, but I'm sure they're pretty expensive. They are going to try to incorporate something into the new homes that will be built. I have no idea what. We don't have a storm shelter, or basement, or anywhere to go. Thank goodness we have such good meteorologists with crazy neat radars that we usually know in plenty of time to just drive somewhere else. They are able to warn other states about them. Thats why not as many people died in the Moore tornado, advanced warning 3 days before the tornado! If you saw the devastation, you would think hundreds of people died..

Old 05-25-2013, 10:26 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,597,787 times
Default Long Time No See Jammie.....But Here's The Price Of Tornadoes Shelters

Quote:
Quote:

They had an interesting story on TWC this afternoon. They explained that basements were rare because of the soil and the problems with flooding and mold that come with basements. They also talked about the reason for so few storm shelters and that the price for a small family shelter was at least 25,000.

The cost is much lower than $25,000 see links below.......

BiggsStormShelters.com | Oklahoma City Metro’s Leading Source for Affordable Tornado Shelters
Moore mayor wants safe-room shelters built in all new homes, while cost of tornado damage could top $2 billion | Fox News
Storm Shelter Construction Costs | Average Price to Build a Storm Shelter

They'd even mentioned the amount of schools that have shelters and it was a very small percentage, but the cost adds at least a million dollars to the cost of construction.

Much too high a price for construction of school " tornado shelters" would come in way under $1,000,000

Long Time No See Jammie.....But Here's The Price Of Tornadoes Shelters which aren't really that
expensive....and there should not be a short cut in protection of the precious life of children.

See Above for web sites....

Old 05-27-2013, 12:41 PM

180 posts, read 669,032 times
Why do people still live in California, with all the earthquakes and such?
Why do people live in NYC, no 1 terrorism hotspot,?
Why do people live in Detroit with the crime, corruption?
Why do people (non whites) still live in racist Arizona?

Why do people still live in America with healthcare and education that is pale in comparison to other first world countries?

Why?

Old 06-02-2013, 03:05 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,797,363 times
I moved here recently and have asked people the same question. The weather is terrible and the divorce rate is high here. The culture is to get married and have kids right after graduating from high school/college. I don't get the culture here at all. Its tough for a single guy moving in. While people are friendly, its hard to break into their clicks because they all have the same lifelong friends and don't seem to feel a need for new ones. Its very strange to me. But I moved from a city where nobody who lived there was from there. I hope I can eventually like it here because I work fro a great company and would hate to give that up because I have no personal life and therefore have to move elsewhere.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:08 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,018,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I moved here recently and have asked people the same question. The weather is terrible and the divorce rate is high here. The culture is to get married and have kids right after graduating from high school/college. I don't get the culture here at all. Its tough for a single guy moving in. While people are friendly, its hard to break into their clicks because they all have the same lifelong friends and don't seem to feel a need for new ones. Its very strange to me. But I moved from a city where nobody who lived there was from there. I hope I can eventually like it here because I work fro a great company and would hate to give that up because I have no personal life and therefore have to move elsewhere.

You went from one extreme to the other.

I hope it all works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City