Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 02:12 PM

11 posts, read 68,219 times

Advertisements

Hi
I'm thinking of relocating to OKC and need info on interracial families. My husband and I are from Seattle where people mix and mingle with all different races and cultures and dont seem to mind. Is this the same in OKC?. My husband is black and I am spanish/irish/german/idontknow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 01:51 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Missy,
Oklahomans are generally very accepting. I'm from Oklahoma and my wife is Japanese. Although I don't live in Oklahoma anymore, whenever we've been there we have been accepted with open arms. But, you should check out some other resources to reassure yourself before you make such an important move. I would suggest using this forum, as well as some other forums to find out more. I wish you and yours the best of luck. Some other Oklahoma forums are as follows:

http://www.okmet.org/bb/ (broken link)

www.tulsanow.org

Old 01-29-2007, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 42,702 times
i live in okc and i am non-white, and so is my husband. have never experienced any open racism yet for it. i'm sure everywhere u go u'll find close minded people, but i rather like it here!

Old 02-03-2007, 06:03 PM

17,773 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Interracial couples are not that uncommon in Oklahoma City. Maybe not like Seattle but I don't think it would be an issue if you lived in the metro area.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:45 PM

11 posts, read 77,000 times
Default interracial couples

In Oklahoma alot of people really dont notice it as much as other places. Many in Oklahoma don't notice it because many are mixed, like me. I am white and cherokee mix and i would say that 15% of my school had some degree of Indian blood but most weren't full blood native americans. Many of my neighbors are also interracial and i didnt even realize it. my parents best friends are a white/mexican couple. my neighbors are a white/asian couple. i grew up as a mix and i've seen it so often that i really didnt even notice it anymore. you'll be fine in OKC. just remember that we are still 100% human.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 8,741 times
It all depends on where you live in Oklahoma City. Your best bet is to live on the NW side of town. Stay away from subs like Yukon and Moore.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:58 AM

20 posts, read 113,755 times
Hello,
I am a black woman who was married to a white man. I have a daughter who is mixed. My son married his Swedish wife in OK. I have lived 35 miles southeast of OKC in the country for 15 years. It has been my experience that people here pay more attention to who you are related to and who you know than your race. They are friendly and look out for neighbors. I have other friends who are in mixed race relationships. You will find racist people in every state, but I have not had any overt experiences in OK. Hope this helps.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:54 PM

15 posts, read 69,235 times
Hi i am not from okc i am from virginia and moved here 4 years ago with my hubby. I do not think people mix and mingle here at all. I know most people who have lived here all their life think they do but i think they dont. there is a area seems like to me for different races. North side, south side, norman, moore. i just dont think okc in a very open minded state at all.. I hope to move out of okc when hubby get done with school... I found it very hard to fit in here when i moved and 4 years later i still feel the same.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:13 PM

5 posts, read 57,818 times
I'm Black, Cherokee, German, and I grew up in Oklahoma. I experienced some of the same problems other mixed kids that I saw on tv or knew from other states experienced. But that was over 20 years ago. When we moved to Putnam City, and Edmond I never had problems. As a young adult I never experienced any problems. It wasn't until I moved to Cali temporarily and came back to Oklahoma did I notice the small issues. For the most part however I don't think it would be a problem really unless you're looking for one. That's my experience in many states I've lived in. I must say though, Oklahomans are really obsessed with apperances, so no one is really gonna come right out and say what they think, and most are polite and give you a chance. At the same time there are some racial roles played under the surface, to me its all really over rated. The biggest problems you would have in Oklahoma were if you were of a different religion. When I first became muslim I didn't wear the scarf, but I moved to Texas, while in Texas I started wearing the scarf, when I came back to Oklahoma I never expected to be treated the way I was...I always knew my people (Oklahomans) to be so warm....as a muslim its very different in Oklahoma. Race I don't think is the problem.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:08 AM

11 posts, read 57,417 times
My family is an interracial family in the OKC area. I have not ever lived anywhere else, so I wont have a way to compare other places, BUT my husband is from Dallas and he definitely has an opinion on the differences. He told me that there are a TON more biracial children and interracial families that he has seen in the OKC area at least as compared to Dallas. From the times I visited him there in Dallas, I noticed the same thing. I have never had many problems at all living here. Years ago it was kinda awkward dating interracially, but that has been many many years ago. If you would ever like to know any more information, I would love to answer any questions. You can e-mail me. There is a nice church I could recommend to you also, where I know your family would feel very very welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City